Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

CALCAL's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Wednesday, July 27th, 2022 12:03 AM

Closed

Unreliable Wi-Fi Connectivity - Constant Program Interruptions

How do I cure the constant program interruptions on my Wi-Fi connected TVs?  Having to regularly press the restart button to get the signal back is irritating.

• 

2 Messages

1 year ago

I just installed it two weeks ago and it is driving me crazy. Every time I turn the tv off i need to start from scratch - it's all ATT equipment and there is a strong wifi signal... and yet it refuses to stay connected day to day ... I may have to cancel before this costs me my marriage

ACE - New Member

• 

562 Messages

1 year ago

oskarrogg
Did you Test your Wi-Fi signal AT your device? You can have a 300 mbps Internet service, but there are a lot of variables that reduce it when you convert it to wifi. 

(edited)

• 

2 Messages

1 year ago

Not sure quite how to test it, except that every other device in the house has no issues with it, but the directTV, which is maybe 40 feet away from the router, drops it when the DirectTv is turned off for awhile ... (then says signal is excellent after you hit the reset button) 

ACE - New Member

• 

562 Messages

1 year ago

The best way to test the Internet speed on a Roku device is to go to "Settings/Network/Check Connection", hit OK, then hit OK again when the test is complete. On the nest page you will see the results of the test. Go to the Internet Download Speed and it will tell you what your Internet speed is on your Roku device.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

1 year ago

I have been having a similar problem for the past few weeks.  All other devices in the room are fine. Several times per week, the red light flashes and I have to unplug the DirecTV device and plug it back in. Other times it just says there is no signal, but when I check the system status, internet is fine.  Using ATT fiber.

ACE - New Member

• 

3K Messages

1 year ago

@bob_stl Best fix for red light or signal..... is to restart your internet modem/router. 

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

5.2K Messages

1 year ago

Honestly, go with a better streaming device like a Roku or Fire Stick. There have been a lot of reports of connectivity issues with the box lately, with no solution announced.

ACE - New Member

• 

3K Messages

1 year ago

If the Dtv Stream box is having an issue connecting to wifi----a fix could be to use a wifi extender. Have the extender connect to the wifi. Most wifi extenders have an ethernet jack so you can run an ethernet cable to the Dtv Stream box. That will bypass the issue of the box not being able to connect via wifi. You can buy extenders that plug into wall power outlets. Amazon sells them for 15-20 bucks. 

(edited)

• 

3 Messages

1 year ago

I have this same issue with my living room box that sits only 20 feet from the WiFi router with over 450 Mbps in direct line of sight! It is not an internet issue, it is a DirectTV device issue!!! But looks like DTV has no support for you once you have had the device for more than 30 days. You are SOL and on the hook for the cost of the faulty device! for that reason I do not recommend DTV streaming to anyone!

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

1 year ago

To all users posting to this string with similar questions (frustrating DirecTV Wi-Fi connectivity), please see djmaxwell’s “accepted solution” post recommending use of MoCa or DECCA adapters in situations where unused coax cabling runs throughout the home.  I tried the Hitron MoCA HT-EM4 (ethernet over coax) adapters and have had great success since with this setup.

• 

3 Messages

1 year ago

Thanks Cal, but I didn't purchase wireless equipment so I can pay extra for a wired setup to make it work properly. That's not an acceptable solution for my TV setup. DirectTV should replace the faulty equipment they sell. 

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

1 year ago

Replying to TonyCaracoza:  Good luck expecting any Wi-Fi system to be fault-free!  It’s generally understood that wireless connectivity tends to be subject to various kinds of interference, making it much less reliable than wired connectivity.  Far be it from me to speak for AT&T / DirecTV, however, asking them to replace “faulty Wi-Fi equipment” because of inherent interference is basically the same as asking them to discontinue the service.  I found it much more satisfying to spend about $70 to reactivate the coax cabling already running throughout my house with the use of a MoCA adapter, thereby achieving virtually fault-free wired connectivity.  Of course, I understand that not everybody has coax cabling readily available for such solution.

ACE - New Member

• 

562 Messages

1 year ago

I know when I had that issue, I didn't want to use the coaxial wiring installed in my house, because it was being used for a attic antenna distribution for local channels. So I got a Wi-Fi extender and it cured the problem. 

• 

3 Messages

1 year ago

Avoid using the AT&T router/modem as your Wi-Fi device.  Purchase a 3rd party router which is “mesh” compatible.  Once installed, disable Wi-Fi on the AT@T router/modem.  A final recommendation, always create a Wi-Fi signal which is 2G only (in addition to a mesh or 5G only signal).  These steps have resolved countless issues for clients of mine.

To someone else’s point stated in this thread, there are countless variables which impact “issues”.  Some examples, distance, walls, floors, devices, etc.

Note:  You still use the AT&T router as it is required, you are simply not using the Wi-Fi capabilities of the device.

Good luck.

(edited)

• 

3 Messages

1 year ago

Thank you all for the replies. Unfortunately it is not a connection issue, it is a DirectTV device issue. I use an Arris dual 5g/2.5g bandwidth router with Frontier 500gb up/dn fiber optic internet speed. The device shows strong wifi signal strength and strong internet speed because it is 25 ft away in DIRECT LINE OF SIGHT (no walls, floors or ceilings between). Every other wifi device in the house works fine from further away in other rooms or same room. I also have wifi extenders and unused coax cable but do not need them or want to use them for the same reason I have a cell phone instead of a landline and email instead of a fax machine. Just wanted to inform users that the device is not stable and DTV streaming offers NO SUPPORT! 

Side note: the device is great when it works,  (95% of the time) just annoying when it decides to quit working. 

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.