Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

S

• 

4 Messages

Sat, May 2, 2020 9:41 PM

Where is PrimeVideo and Hulu

I can not believe that DIRECTV STREAM does not allow the apps for PrimeVideo and Hulu to be loaded. There is simple no way to access or use thsese services with DIRECTV STREAM. Even Xfinity allows thier customers to access these two services. What kind of service is this, that does not have applications and further prevents them from being loaded?

Jrandomuser

ACE - Expert

• 

264 Messages

2 y ago

The DIRECTV STREAM service has nothing to do with Prime Video or Hulu - those are unrelated subscription services. The streaming device (which was specifically designed for the TV service, but is not required for it) on the other hand potentially could have/allow apps for those services, and it is unknown why it doesn't. The DIRECTV STREAM box is an Android TV device, but it is known is that both the Prime Video and Hulu apps run on only "selected" Android TV devices - both spell out specific supported devices rather than just saying they run on Android TV. Whether that is for technical or business reasons has (as far as I know) never been revealed by any of the parties involved. They explicitly said they are "working on" getting Amazon Prime Video for their device, but whether the issue is that Amazon just doesn't want the app to run on the  hardware, or if it involves paying Amazon for the right to run the app, paying Amazon to make needed modifications to allow it to run on their hardware, or negotiating privacy rights to DIRECTV STREAM (or DIRECTV STREAM customer) data or something of that sort isn't known. However, the DIRECTV STREAM app does run on Amazon hardware, for whatever that's worth. I don't know if anything at all has been said about the Hulu app, but it's quite likely a similar situation.

(edited)

• 

4 Messages

@Jrandomuser Important to note that Xfinity offers access to Hulu and Prime Video as do many of the other services. And yes, most if not all of these services, do come with an extra subscription requirement, this is not the problem. What makes DIRECTV STREAM unique, is it prevents, absolutely prevents people from loading these apps! Why can't I load the android app for Prime Video and Hulu? Why does DIRECTV STREAM  prevent the ability to use these services?

(edited)

bno25ab

ACE - Guru

• 

29 Messages

Hulu and Prime Video apps were available on the box in the past, but they removed it.

They claim they are working on bringing them back, but I doubt that.

The reason I doubt it is that Netflix is available as a channel (192), so most likely DIRECTV STREAM and Netflix have a special agreement, keeping Hulu and Prime Video apps off of the box. Keep in mind that though Netflix app is available, you still need a separate subscription to Netflix to watch it.

So, eventhough I have my doubts, I do hope they'll add these apps to the playstore on the box in the future and I don't have to use a separate device.

(edited)

Award for Community Excellence 2021 Achiever*
*I am not a DIRECTV employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

4 Messages

It is interesting to me that Xfinity frequently advertises the ability to access these services from within thier cable service. If they can't or will not figure it out, might have to move to another service, such as Xfinity.

(edited)

• 

1 Message

1 y ago

Actually you can. Since the DIRECTV STREAM is also a good chromecast you can simply open the app on your phone or tablet and then stream to DIRECTV STREAM.  Not as efficient as having the app on the TV but works very well. 

(edited)

Lparsons21

• 

11 Messages

1 y ago

You can also sideload Amazon Prime and Hulu onto the DIRECTV STREAM box though it should be noted that you have to obtain an old version of Hulu because the current version doesn’t work on it.

(edited)

• 

1 Message

1 y ago

I just checked today (Jan 16, 2021) and noticed the Amazon Prime app is available in the Google Play Store on the DIRECTV STREAM Android box. Yay!

(edited)

• 

2 Messages

7 m ago

Still waiting on Hulu...

• 

1 Message

2 m ago

Lack of Hulu is a BIG omission, let’s get this solved ATT/Hulu!

bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

813 Messages

2 m ago

They want even see your post. This is only a customer-to-customer forum. Contact support and voice your concern.

Ludwick577

• 

534 Messages

2 m ago

Just get an android tv box, firestick, smart tv, or roku if u want hulu that bad.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

2 m ago

One should never expect a TV provider to allow other TV providers on their equipment. Those that do, well great but they are not required.

Independent streaming devices (Roku, Firestick, etc.) would be the option to get multiple TV provider apps on one device.

Lack of Hulu or anything else is their choice. What's next, demanding that DirecTV include Xfinity app on their devices? Be realistic, there is no obligation or requirement that a competitor is put on their equipment.

• 

2 Messages

19 d ago

I don't expect AT&T to go out of their way to support Hulu, but all appearances are they have gone out of their way to exclude it.  As has been pointed out, Android TV supoorts Hulu and the Direct TV device is just an android tv device, but they have gone out of their way to prevent Hulu from working.   

But you're right, Direct TV streaming isn't really worth keeping.  I have it because it is cheaper to have my phone plan with it than without it, and I thought I would take advantage of the device with an older television but I have zero interest in the actual service.  The device is useless if they are going to cripple it for apps of their choosing so I will just need to put it back in the box and find something that works 

Ludwick577

• 

534 Messages

19 d ago

You are taking your anger for not having Hulu on the service. Directv Streaming with their box is a great service. Useless? U need a reality check. That account joins today and comes and rips the service for no real reason. Seems suspicious. 

(edited)

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

19 d ago

@Jebailey1120 

DIRECTV STREAM, or DirecTV (satellite), is a TV provider. So is Hulu. They are competitors.

Android TV is a piece of equipment. Like a Roku you install whatever apps you want (that are compatible of course).

Do not confuse a specific TV provider with a 3rd party streaming box.

• 

2 Messages

19 d ago

@RICK0713 I'm not confused.  Hulu is a streaming service, not a provider.  Direct TV has pivoted to be a streaming service ae well, only with zero original content and mimicking their features as a satellite service. Android TV is actually an open source OS targeting televisions devices, not a device itself (although Google does make their own device just as they have their own brand of phones).   It is to a television device as Android mobile is to your phone. The device manufacturer provides the abstractions for the actual hardware in their build of the OS.  None of this software comes from the device manufacturer,  it comes from the software vendor through the google play store.  Just like any software for the base Android version in your phone will work with your phone, any software targeting a version of the Android TV OS should work with devices using that OS version.  Direct TV has chosen to modify their device OS build to specifically prevent Hulu from running on the device.   On a later smart tv I wouldn't bother with their device, I would just use their app.  If they are so afraid of letting this streaming service run,  especially when they already have your subscription , maybe they should be in another business or enhance their service to actually be competitive.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

19 d ago

Bottom line is DIRECTV STREAM has no obligation to allow a competitor's app on their equipment. Doesn't matter if Hulu, Netflix, Dish, Disney+, etc. Their proprietary box is made specifically for their service. If you want other apps get one that is not provider specific (Roku, Firestick, etc.).

So an Android TV, Roku, Firestick, etc. are not a TV provider themselves. So you can put multiple apps on them as they are a non-proprietary streaming device so are not competing with TV providers.

Hulu IS a provider. Streaming, satellite, hardline (i.e. cable) are types of delivery methods for the different providers. They provide you programming based on their agreements with the channels and content owners.

(edited)

• 

5 Messages

19 d ago

Get a Roku.  So many channels/services to chose from including Prime, Hulu, etc and DirecTV Streaming.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.