Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

I

• 

2 Messages

Sat, Apr 4, 2020 10:46 PM

Wrong Local Channels showing - from previous state I used to live in

I downloaded DIRECTV STREAM on my Firestick TV and every time I go to the channels that would have my local news (so my local ABC, NBC, FOX, etc) and it’s the local ones in Arizona, where I *used* to live. I have the location/zip code assigned to the right one in my FireTV settings, and the time zone set to the right one in my FireTV settings. When I go on the DIRECTV Stream app on my Fire Tablet, it shows the right local channels. When I go on the AppleTV app version on my Apple TV, it’s the right local channels. Lastly, the DIRECTV STREAM app just recently updated on my Firestick as well. So I’m not sure what the issue is and it’s annoying.

bno25ab

ACE - Guru

• 

31 Messages

2 y مضت

You could try to clear Data and Cache within the Firestick.

On the Firestick's main menu (NOT from within the DIRECTV STREAM app) go to the settings menu, go to Applications, and choose manage my applications. There click on the DIRECTV STREAM< app and clear both the data and cache. You will need to reenter your credentials later on when starting up the app. Hope this will help.

(edited)

• 

2 Messages

I forgot to mention it but I did do all that As well. I even I did all of that and then restarted my TV. It still didn't help or fix the issue.
bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

3K Messages

2 y مضت

Have you updated your billing address? Local channel availability is based on your billing ZIP Code and market area.

lou_do

ACE - New Member

• 

316 Messages

@bcbsncjlj I was told when I subscribed to the service that you would get the locals for the location you are at. I specifically asked because we go between Maine and Florida. I was told I would get the Florida locals there and the Maine locals when in Maine. Haven't had the opportunity to try it yet, but that was what I was told.

(edited)

Award for Community Excellence 2021 Achiever*
*I am not a DIRECTV employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Jrandomuser

ACE - Expert

• 

527 Messages

It depends on the device you are using.

Mobile devices (which use GPS or other location mechanisms that are mostly reliable) do behave that way (modulo that they give you the intersection of the networks they offer at your billing address and those they offer at your physical location).

For TV streaming devices (DIRECTV STREAM box, Apple TV box, Fire TV, Roku, supported smart TVs) and computers, it is less clear. It seems their intent was to only allow those devices at your billing addresses (but maybe not - they never actually said, and it often didn't work that way). Originally they tried to determine where the device was and use that location (perhaps only if it matched the billing address?). Unfortunately, with the exception of the Apple TV box and iPads without GPS, and possibly Apple laptops and Android tablets (which use methods not as reliable as GPS, but generally good), those devices don't report their locations (or not accurately). So a far less reliable mechanism was used (IP geolocation), and many users were not able to get their (or in many cases any) locals because their location didn't get reported correctly (and/or didn't match the billing address). There was no good solution to this, but they were obligated to try to determine the actual location by their content licensing. It appears that at some point, they got their agreements related to local channels changed, and they started just using the billing address for the location of devices that don't support accurate location services - at least there are reports (like the OP's) that it seems to be working that way. So for those devices, you will get the locals at your billing address, regardless of where the device is, while for the others you will get the ones that are physically local. Maybe.

It would be really helpful if DIRECTV STREAM spelled out exactly how they intend for it to work, so you could know whether you are having an actual problem or not, and also understand what you might need to do to get things to work the way you want. But they tend not to be really helpful...

(edited)

Award for Community Excellence 2021 Achiever*
*I am not a DIRECTV employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.