Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

B

• 

6 Messages

Sun, Oct 17, 2021 12:46 AM

Directv compatibility with Samsung smart tv

I can’t find a way to get to my directv account thru the Samsung smart tv. Can only find the direct stream app, which apparently a regular directv member cannot access. Help?

nabukl

ACE - Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

1 m ago

There is no directv app for tvs only for mobile devices 

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

1 m ago

@Buddy3cats 

You are looking for something that doesn't exist.

DirecTV is service by satellite. You pay for each TV on the service. It is not a streaming provider. As such the DirecTV app is not available on any TV, streaming device (Roku, Firestick, etc.) and when used on a tablet or smart phone it doesn't allow casting to TV.

Some TVs (for a short time) were built with a RVU Client (DirecTV Ready). This allowed the TV to function as a Mini Genie Client. It was still hardwired to the system and is installed by tech. Internet connection is only required as the TV maker was responsible for updates to the Client, not DirecTV itself. You still paid for the authorized TV of course.

So you must have a Receiver or Client on that TV to use DirecTV.

DIRECTV STREAM is the new name for AT&T TV / AT&T TV NOW, which originally was branded DIRECTV NOW (confusing right?). It is a streaming-only provider, think like Netflix or Hulu. It shares the same owner as DirecTV (AT&T and their new co-owner), but has nothing to do with the satellite service (DirecTV). So different TV services aimed at different markets.

• 

6 Messages

1 m ago

Thanks everyone. So to watch tv on the Samsung in our vrbo house for the next two weeks I need to sign up for directv streaming? Then cancel when we get home?

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

1.3K Messages

1 m ago

That’s one way. Doesn’t the tv in the vrbo house already have some other tv service? Every vrbo rental I’ve done has had tv service. You can also use your Directv credentials with the various network apps. 

• 

6 Messages

1 m ago

You would think, but every app I’ve tried in this vrbo house on the Samsung tv has required a log in, and my directv login is not accepted, asking me to visit directv stream to sign up. 
so I did. And I’m happily watching everything I need. 
plan to cancel when I get home. 
thanks to all for your interest in helping me. 

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

1 m ago

Make sure you select DirecTV as your TV provider, not DIRECTV STREAM. They are completely separate.

If you have selected DirecTV but are redirected to DIRECTV STREAM, then that is a technical error. The TV may need a software update as that is affecting multiple apps.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.