Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

E

• 

2 Messages

Sat, Oct 16, 2021 4:38 AM

Internet speed requirement

What is the internet speed requirement (or recommendation) for watching Directv "on demand" shows?

I am getting a lot of "buffering" interruptions.

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

40.8K Messages

2 m ago

You'll want faster than 10Mbps

teetertotter

ACE - Teacher

• 

238 Messages

2 m ago

Minimum they say is,  15Mbps and if 25Mbps or more, all the better.  Yes, Boost your internet speed if you can.

(edited)

• 

2 Messages

2 m ago

Thanks, I only have 20 Mbps service and it usually tests at between 12-15 on my phone near the DVR. Looks like time to upgrade my service.

Thanks for you help

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

2 m ago

Double digits minimum. The current officially Federally recognized speed to count as broadband is 25Mbps.

However raising your speed may not improve your experience. For one you have 20Mbps but indicate testing 12-15 on wireless devices. It might not be the internet speed but how good your wireless signal is from the box to the router.

Also the DirecTV box connects to each channel's On Demand library. They upload the content in full resolution. Unlike dedicated streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, etc.) they do not adjust on the fly to account for fluctuating bandwidth.

So I personally prefer to download (record) anything from On Demand first and then watch it so there is no chance of buffering.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.