Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

DragonCruiser's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, January 4th, 2018 10:26 PM

Missing NFL Playoff Games Because Of Issue Between DIRECTV and Local FOX Affiliate (WSFX)

I live in the Wilmington, NC area and the local FOX affiliate is WSFX. Since September, WSFX has refused to allow DIRECTV to broadcast their programming. As usual DIRECTV says that financial terms are the reason for the dispute with WSFX. So despite having the NFL Ticket, I have consistently missed the NFL games broadcast on WSFX each Sunday due to blackout rules. Usually this has been the Panthers, but also has included some other important games. I have lived with the situation, but am not happy. Now, the NFL Playoffs begin this weekend and I will miss the playoff games broadcast on WSFX. This is unacceptable. I am looking for a solution.

(a) Is there a way to connect a normal TV antenna to a DIRECTV system so that I can watch WSFX? If so, what do I need to do?

(b) How do I complain to DIRECTV about reneging on the features I paid for with the NFL Ticket? Namely the ability to access every game every weekend?

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

17.4K Messages

5 years ago

You need an OTA antenna capable of receiving the local OTA channels connected to your TVs  digital tuner as DTV as stop providing their only OTA tuner the AM21.

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

44.1K Messages

5 years ago

(b) DirecTV didn't "reneg" on their Sunday Ticket agreement. Sunday Ticket never delivers games that are broadcast on local network stations.  Those agreements preclude DirecTV Sunday Ticket from providing those games.  The fact that WSFX station owners are greedy and pulled their signal from DirecTV is a negotiating tactic that many station owners use to get their viewers to pressure providers like Dish, DirecTV, Comcast, etc. to pay more.  It's often used during the Fall network show premiers, and during football season.  

At this point, unless WSFX's owners let DirecTV again carry their signal, your only option is an off-air antenna.  Or watching at a friend house, or sports pub. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

The answer is not an off the air antenna. This is poor customer service. Put the customer first and resolve the problem. We live in an area that an off the air antenna won't work. Our choice is to go to cable and if it's not fixed soon, we will.

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

44.1K Messages

5 years ago

@tennek, do you really think that DirecTV isn't trying to negotiate to get that channel back?  It's the local station owners playing hardball.  Put some pressure on them, too. 

mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

6.5K Messages

5 years ago

if directv caves to every station, the cost would go up more than it is

maybe they should break locals out, charge a diff cost, and let you see how much the stations are charging them

with the option to opt out of course

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

44.1K Messages

5 years ago

Check out this recent CBS news article about increasing cable/satellite costs, and note the reference to "free" local stations ....

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/why-cable-bills-are-rising-again-and-what-you-can-do-about-it/

• 

4 Messages

2 months ago

Same here in Central Arkansas. We PAY for the full NFL Sunday Ticket package-& DON’T RECEIVE FOX! Missed World Series despite our MLB package we also PAID FOR. Where are the CREDITS for violating the contract customers paid to receive MLB & NFL Sunday Ticket? Trying to figure out how to get around the DTV/FOX issue to jus watch the (Edited per community guidelines)ed games-but the FANS don’t matter. Started w/DTV @ $100/month. BIG savings. W/n a year, ATT bought & package went up to $265. Now ATT’s dumping them & customers screwed-with no one listening. Looking like there’s going to be a plethora of different game pkgs to stream-but betting no more “one stop” option. Gouging, gouging, gouging. 

(edited)

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

44.1K Messages

2 months ago

@AdrienneH 

Did you watch the video I linked in the comment before yours?  It's the networks that are doing the gouging. Providers like DirecTV are trying to keep costs down, but network owners just keep demanding more and more and more. 

• 

4 Messages

2 months ago

Sorry-trying to figure out how this all works. Haven’t tried link; will later-thanks. Researched it & basically those areas where DTV & FOX are arguing just won’t be able to get NFL Sunday Ticket games. The wolves have been circling for a year plus, waiting for DTV contract to end. Fox owns Tubi-& has claimed it will now be carrying NFL games, as of this month. Not so. No NFL games listed. (Free to download/use.)

- Dug further: the NFL has put out the bait & is now sitting back to see who coughs up the most money. Apparently no satisfactory bids yet, so they’re sitting on it. Could even wait til just before next season…

My concern is that they’re not going to do a TV package like now; pay & get from one TV provider. Instead, break it up like some are now into “specialized” sets of games-& get charged healthy rates for each package if try to put together a lineup like Sunday Ticket. It’s basically just a game of greed & who can squeeze out the most. Splitting up where you have to get 2-3 diff streaming services to watch what we’ve been getting on one-stop DTV. 

Amazon is one of the expected contenders. Hope doesn’t work; their Thurs night stream is flopping. Al Michaels apparently said if doesn’t improve, he’s out. The job they’re doing is lousy. But then, no one seems to care about fan experience. They’re going to force-feed us according to biggest bucks. Like they don’t already make enough. But then-who complains? We just hold our breath & pray! I have a whole string of names for them, but might set your hair on fire if I share here… 

• 

4 Messages

2 months ago

Checked the link-thanks-BUT-it’s 2018. Things have changed so much in just the last 6 months, not sure of efficacy. I’ve always agreed with confronting & protesting greed. Last few years, the complete lack of concern is truly underwhelming. Big corp got congress to pass a bill awhile back where they can’t be accused of profiteering-that’s led to a complete detachment from customers. Hence our inflation. There are no fetters-thanks to our sell-outs in congress… :-( 

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

17.4K Messages

2 months ago

NFL Sunday Ticket and MLB are for out of market games only if they are on a local channel whither they are being block by a local channel dispute or not  are blackout per their blackout rules DTV can't change it.  DTV nor any other TV provider have no say in the NFL or MLB deciding to sell the game(s) to streaming services.

• 

4 Messages

2 months ago

I get that. But if the FOX channels that have withdrawn were included as a part of the NFL Sunday Ticket for which we signed up & pay for - that’s a breach of contract by DTV. The contract with us-the viewers. The whole Fox controversy is their problem as far as their duty to us, under the contract. If you pay a plumber to put in a garbage disposer & he leaves off the collar to fit it in the sink, which was part of the service for which you paid, he’s in breach of his contract with you. That’s my point here. DTV owes us a discount on billing to make up for their shorting us under our contract. 

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

17.4K Messages

2 months ago

Read the TOS DTV has the right to change channels and programming at anytime this is in all TV providers TOS as they don't own the channels.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.