Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

diitto's profile
diitto
#1 Star!
Supersonic 25!
Celestial 50!

Scholar

• 

120 Messages

Monday, December 19th, 2016 2:38 AM

NFL football is unwatchable for the 2nd Sunday night in a row

Both last Sunday, Dec. 11th, and tonight, Dec. 18th, the NFL football game is unwatchable on Directv.  Every few seconds or sometimes it will go ok for a few minutes at most but then fail again, the picture and sound both essentially freeze, and the screen pixelates like crazy.  The screen essentially looks like it's caught between two frames, bouncing back and forth.  With tons of pixelation making even those frames hardly legible.  It might stay stuck, if I leave it for a minute or more.  Then it will clear, let you watch a very few seconds or maybe a minute or two and then back to it.  Last Sunday and this I tried both times for maybe 10 minutes.  Then just gave up.  

If you change the channel and then immediately come back, it will be ok for a few seconds.  Then freeze again.  

This isn't actually new.  I've seen this off and on over a few years typically on Sports programs.  As if something used to capture or transmit that video is different than other programs.  And could it be because these NFL Sunday night programs are on a local channel???  Might it be local channels???  Because I just now went to another local channel and even though it isn't as bad, it's doing the same in a minor way on this other, non-sports local channel.  But I've come to know that if this happens, it is usually on sports programs where it is the worst.  

Completely unwatchable.  And I just now decided that a second local but not sports program is also doing it tonight but not nearly as bad as it is on the football game.  And now I've gone to yet a third local and it seems fine.  But if I go back to the football game, it's a no go...  Again, not watchable.  

Do others see this???  Or might it be my rather old and slow HR34 Genie???  any thoughts???  thanks... 

DIRECTVhelp

Community Support

• 

16.9K Messages

6 years ago

Hi @diitto,

We are sorry for the inconvenience. Try resetting your receiver and ensure all wires are secure from the wall to the receiver.

ATTDIRECTVCare

diitto

Scholar

• 

120 Messages

6 years ago

Really???  That's all you can offer for what I described about having something to do with sports programming or perhaps something not right with the way Locals are being transmitted???  my..  my..  That's too bad.  You think my wires just come loose during football games???  

And reset the receiver???  Been there...  Done that...  Countless times.  

And again on the wires???  I'm a recently retired Electronics Engineer who spent 40 years working on and debugging very sophisticated pieces of hardware.  Trust me, the wires from the wall to my receiver are NOT the issue.  Might it be the HR34 being a now older technology that should likely be retired??  Maybe.  Likely...  Something about the transmission bandwidth for football games and how it gets handled by the receiver???  Might be a possibility.  Or something about perhaps it being locals instead of sports programming and how they are picked up by the satellite to be resent??  Maybe.  But my wires being loose???  Nope.  Not even a good try.  

DIRECTVhelp

Community Support

• 

16.9K Messages

6 years ago

Hi @diitto,

Replacing the box may resolve this. If you have not contacted us about this, we recommend chatting with us using the link located in the announcement section located to the upper right. 

-ATTDIRECTVCare

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

1.8K Messages

6 years ago

Have you checked your receive signal levels? Sports programming is generally delivered from a different satellite than other programming. In other words, a dish out of alignment could explain your issues and why you only see it on sports programming.

diitto

Scholar

• 

120 Messages

6 years ago

We have been considering asking to switch our existing box, an HR34-700 Genie, for another but we have two current obstacles.  One is my wife has quite a large amount of recorded shows that she hasn't yet watched (still only uses up 40% of the 1TB hard drive with 60% free but numerically, it's just a lot of unwatched shows).  She's told me it's ok to let them go but that's obstacle one.  The second and bigger obstacle is that I don't want another HR34.  The HR44 was already out 2 1/2 years ago when we moved to what was then a new home and we asked back then if we could get an HR44.  The answer was no, you get what you get, whatever is on the truck that day.  We got an HR34 and have lived with its issues for all this time.  Now the HR54 has been out for a while and I'm hearing that it would be less likely that we would get yet another HR34 as they are slowly going away, maybe???  But knowing that I just "get what I get" I would be very unhappy if yet another HR34 showed up in a box at my front door.  So in a way I'm trying to wait as long as possible and I continue to deal with the slow response and other issues of the HR34.  I've even considered going to a third party seller and buying either an HR44 or HR54 ($300 if purchased though I know Directv would call it a lease) and then calling Directv and having my 34 removed from my account and then have the new 44 or 54 added.  I've even asked Directv if they allow that and my answer was yes.  At least that way I would be ensured of no longer having an HR34 running the Genie side of our house.  We also still have an old, old, HR22 on a third TV in our home (HR34 and a Genie mini drive the other two) and that 22 is the best working box we have.  We brought that from our old home and had it added to our third tv as we were new to the Genie idea at the time and we didn't want all our TV eggs in one Genie basket.  If the Genie dies, we can at least still watch 1 tv while that gets fixed.  

So yes, the day is coming when I am going to make some sort of move to get a new Genie box and it would at least be interesting to see if that makes the Sunday night football "massive freeze/pixelation" deal go away.  

thanks.

diitto

Scholar

• 

120 Messages

6 years ago

Sandblaster, you make a good point about signal levels and I will check them soon.  Once every so often, I do walk through all the signal levels.  I wait for each screen to populate (as I trust you know, some of the transponders respond slooowwwwly when checking their signal levels).  Once fully populated, I take a cell phone picture of that screen and save it on my computer.  That way I can check later to see if certain transponders have fallen in level. I will do that soon and check against the last time I saved a set of screenshots.  Good point to bring up.  

Only once in all the years I've had Directv did I have signals truly fall and I began to lose connection, like with rain fade, but on clear, sunny days.  A slight peak in one axis and all was recovered.  But yes, you are correct that marginal signal levels could be an issue.  Do you have any idea what satellite would carry something like the national (NBC) football game on Sunday nights???  If it matters, we are in Northen Ca.  thanks...

diitto

Scholar

• 

120 Messages

6 years ago

So here I am again, watching the NBC NFL playoff game on Saturday night, 1/7.  And again, unwatchable.  The DVR itself has actually been behaving pretty well lately but now, a football game on a local channel (channel 3, NBC, out of Sacramento) and I am about to give up.  I certainly see this pixelation now and then on other non-sports programs but this pixelates, freezes and bounces back and forth every 10 seconds.  Again, not watchable.  

It's either got something to do with being on a local channel which I don't watch terribly often OR, and I vote for this OR, it's something about how these football games are compressed or whatever for broadcast.  I also see this sometimes on basketball games as well but I don't recall ever seeing it on a slow moving baseball game.  And commercials???  We're in one right now and it works fine.  I have seen it pixelate once in a great while during a commercial but tonight, this football game is so unwatchable that I'm actuallly taking "a break" to be able to watch commercials that I almost always avoid.  

I wish I could find out how these football games differ in how they get captured and submitted to the satellite.  Something is different about them. Forty year of my former job as an Electronics Engineer offered some insights in these issues.  Again, just went back long enough for a heavily pixelated field goal attemtp and now on to a perfectly playing commercial...  Yep, I'm convinced...  Now if I only knew how to solve...  Someone at Directv knows and could tell me but...  Oh well.. If you knew what I pay each month for all the programming we buy, you'd likely agree that outta be enough to actually have it work.  But Dish???  No... Comcast...  Gosh, no...  So here I sit...  

Hi there,

I dont have Dish, I have xfinity/comcast and live in the Portland, OR area and have been experiencing this exact same issue! It has been driving me crazy and like you said, only seems to happen with sports programming. Specifically NBC's Sunday Night Football, or ocassionally the NFL Network. Were you ever able to figure it out? I was leaning towards the same reason of the way the NFL broadcasts/ compresses their games? But if thats the real issue why is it so hard to find information on it, and why is it only select people who have the issue? Who would I go to in order to get it fixed? Comcast gave me the same response AT&T gave you, to do basic troubleshooting and reset the signal. *eye roll*

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

44.1K Messages

Must be an issue with your local station. The game tonight looked great on KING5 here in Seattle via DirecTV. It's just too bad that the Seahawks couldn't pull off a win :(

For official support call DirecTV Satellite 1-800-531-5000, DirecTV Stream 1-888-429-4023, or AT&T 1-800-288-2020. For NFL Sunday Ticket, call 1-888-778-8806.

Award for Community Excellence 2021 Achiever*
*I am not a DIRECTV employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

13.9K Messages

This also might be related to your TV. There is a setting called Auto motion plus or Motion flow which artificially creates extra frames to try and get smooth motion. Switch it off and see what happens.

But a problem at your local station is most likely. The fact that commercials look OK is a big clue. Also that cable users see the same problem.That means the problem is in the electronics at the station which processes the national feed. Other than talking directly to the station engineer, I don't have any good suggestiions.

Award for Community Excellence 2021 Achiever*
*I am not a DIRECTV employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.