Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

westway's profile
westway
#1 Star!
The 5th element!
10th stratosphere!

Contributor

• 

31 Messages

Wednesday, November 30th, 2022 12:12 AM

Not so much a question, but:

I have not been a member/questioner/contributor very long but I have had DIRECTV since it first began, with the little round dish and the RCA receiver.  However, it seems to me that much (even a majority of late) of the problems encountered and discussed on this site have to do with the relatively new and "secondary" side issues of streaming and streaming related.  I might be missing the point but it seems to me DIRECTV is still primarily a satellite reception service with a "streaming"  sideline.  Perhaps DIRECTV strive to be clear on the differences in the two concepts.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

17.4K Messages

2 months ago

You are correct DTV is a TV provider and you can only stream On Demand using DTV receivers.  Using your DTV login to access channel streaming uses internet.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.7K Messages

2 months ago

I might be missing the point but it seems to me DIRECTV is still primarily a satellite reception service with a "streaming"  sideline.

Actually you understand it better than most I feel.

Perhaps DIRECTV strive to be clear on the differences in the two concepts.

Yes, so much this!

For traditional DirecTV (satellite) you have On Demand (programming from boxes being internet connected) and then the app for 'some' programming on the go (or using a channel's own app or website with verifying your TV provider). Too many expect all those intenrnet conencted options to having everything available and work as seamless as the programming delivered by satellite, yet the capability of the delivery method and the permissions/licenses for the programming are different.

Then there is DIRECTV STREAM which is a separate provider, though from the same owner. Used to be called AT&T TV or AT&T TV NOW, and before that DIRECTV NOW. With the multiple name changes, and from the same company, it has caused a lot of confusion. Simply put, it is a streaming-only TV provider that has nothing to do with DirecTV (satellite) and is not guaranteed to have the same programming as DirecTV.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.