Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

HDSports's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Tue, Jan 16, 2018 9:39 PM

Picture quality is poor for HD sports, especially football.

I've got a Samsung 65" 4K LED Smart TV.   The picture quality was good when I first got Direct TV and the new TV in the fall of 2016.  The picture resolution is very blurry this whole fall, and I can't get it figured out with Tech Support.  I've "unclicked" the 480 & 720 settings in System Setup and have the "Native" setting at "No" per the Tech Support suggestions.  Any ideas?  I've got a technician visiting on Friday, but I can save the service call and guarantee good Vikings viewing for the family this weekend if I can figure it out!  Thanks...

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

40.8K Messages

4 y ago

What channel(s)?

Sports broadcasts are often subject to poor video quality because they require realtime video compression/encoding. Some networks do a better job than others at this.  I doubt your service tech will find anything wrong. 

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

4 y ago

Fox, CBS, etc., and I am currently testing with the NFL Channel, since they're replaying games.

This is what it looks like...

IMG_0301.jpg

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

4 y ago

Thanks for your response.  You were correct, the technician couldn't fix anything.

I've checked with relatives in the area, and they say the Viking's games look great on Direct...

I've done a lot of trouble shooting on the tv too, with Samsung Tech's but they say it's the video feed...

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

40.8K Messages

4 y ago

Looks like your HDTV's video settings could use some adjustment.  

Have you tried a different HDMI cable?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

4 y ago

No, I haven't tried a different cable and one may have been switched by the young folks playing Nintendo...

I'll try that when I get home...  Thanks.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

4 y ago

It appears the problem is with the NFL's Skycam shots.  When they do a close up head shot, it's real clear.

The "All 22" is the view that looks terrible (see above).  Would Direct or Dish produce a poorer "Skycam" picture than cable?

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

40.8K Messages

4 y ago

Cable, Dish, DirecTV all get essentially the same feed from the networks. 

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

4 y ago

Thanks for your help.  If I ever figure it out, I'll post back here.

I've got both Direct and Cable ready for this weekend, so we'll see....

mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

6.5K Messages

4 y ago

fox/cbs/ect send the feed to the local station

the local station sends it to directv

directv sends it to you

the exception being sunday ticket, i think directv gets that right from the network.

so for locals, it can vary from market to market.

i would contact the local station and see if they changed anything on thier end

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

4 y ago

Thanks, you might be on to something.  The picture quality was really good last year with the Sunday Ticket.

I cancelled it this year because of all the drama...  I'll check into it...

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 y ago

Any resolution on this?  I have similar issues with horrible picture quality, especially sports.  Seemed to start shortly after installing 75" 4K samsung tv.

Thanks for any info.

mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

6.5K Messages

3 y ago

make sure your set for 1080 output

larger tvs can make lower res look bad

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 y ago

Yeah, 1080 is set. It truly is a horrendous picture. I've, swapped cables,
switched inputs and tried about every setting combination on the tv as
well. Streaming Amazon looks great, 4k content amazing (obviously).
Blu-ray looks great as well.

I have been contemplating cutting the cord and this picture quality is
pushing me in that direction.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 y ago

I am having the same picture quality image while broadcasting soccer on nbc sports 220. This only started happening with my new samsung 4k 50 inch smart tv. When the players run or ball is kicked the action gets slow and fuzzy/pixelated. I called Dtv and they tried to fix something on their end or "clean"  something on their feed. They said that would work but it has not after 7 days. If I call again they will send a technician. Any ideas why the picture is so blurry during fast paced sports action? Similar issues with NFL games however it is most pronounced on nbc sports soccer matches.

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

40.8K Messages

3 y ago

@CMP2019 wrote:

I am having the same picture quality image while broadcasting soccer on nbc sports 220. This only started happening with my new samsung 4k 50 inch smart tv. When the players run or ball is kicked the action gets slow and fuzzy/pixelated. I called Dtv and they tried to fix something on their end or "clean"  something on their feed. They said that would work but it has not after 7 days. If I call again they will send a technician. Any ideas why the picture is so blurry during fast paced sports action? Similar issues with NFL games however it is most pronounced on nbc sports soccer matches.

This is probably a setting on your TV.  Check for TV manual for features like "motion blur".   Also check the thread for your Samsung TV at www.avsforum.com in the HDTV Forum.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.