Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

HDSports's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Tue, Jan 16, 2018 9:39 PM

Picture quality is poor for HD sports, especially football.

I've got a Samsung 65" 4K LED Smart TV.   The picture quality was good when I first got Direct TV and the new TV in the fall of 2016.  The picture resolution is very blurry this whole fall, and I can't get it figured out with Tech Support.  I've "unclicked" the 480 & 720 settings in System Setup and have the "Native" setting at "No" per the Tech Support suggestions.  Any ideas?  I've got a technician visiting on Friday, but I can save the service call and guarantee good Vikings viewing for the family this weekend if I can figure it out!  Thanks...

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 y ago

It's not my tv. What are you talking about? That website is irrelevant for
this issue. Do you have a deal with them to promote their content or
something?

Directtv admitted this was a frequent issue with them broadcasting Live
sports. They have a tech coming out Dec 26th to try to figure this out. If
they don't fix this I'll most likely cancel service.

Wish there were "experts" on here who actually knew what they were talking
about.
litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

41.4K Messages

3 y ago

@CMP2019 wrote:
It's not my tv. What are you talking about? That website is irrelevant for
this issue. Do you have a deal with them to promote their content or
something?

Directtv admitted this was a frequent issue with them broadcasting Live
sports. They have a tech coming out Dec 26th to try to figure this out. If
they don't fix this I'll most likely cancel service.

Wish there were "experts" on here who actually knew what they were talking
about.

I know exactly what I'm talking about.  Motion settings on newer LCD/LED TVs can cause exactly these sorts of artifacts.  Of course, it's also possible that the issue lies with the source video.  Live sports is challenging to properly encode digitally.  I doubt the tech will be able to do anything.  And be sure to check out live sports on other providers before switching.  

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 y ago

Ok, in that case if I adjust the auto motion plus settings by increasing
the judder reduction, would that help?
litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

41.4K Messages

3 y ago

@CMP2019 wrote:
Ok, in that case if I adjust the auto motion plus settings by increasing
the judder reduction, would that help?

Maybe. Try it. These TVs call these settings different names, but they're all trying to accomplish the same thing .... reduce the motion artifacts that are especially noticeable during live sports.  Like I said, check out the relevant thread for your brand/model TV in the HDTV Forum at www.avsforum.com   

Contributor

3 y ago

Sounds like your new tv doesn't handle motion very well. Of course i have no idea what model you have, but the higher priced models tend to handle motion blur better than the lesser models. I just got a 70" Vizio that i had to return because the motion blur and judder were so bad. It had no adjustment for that. I stepped up to a better quality Vizio 75" that had motion blur and judder adjustments and now i have an incredible picture with no motion issues at all. The problem is most likely NOT with your Directv signal.

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

2 y ago

You know what would be awesome? If I could see the numbers on the player's jerseys when I watch sports. I know it's fair fetch to think that for only $265 a month for 3 boxes I could read what teams are playing but I can dream can't I? DirecTV is horrible! Absolutely horrible. 

2 y ago

Easy way to troubleshoot this.  Just find a source, like Netflix 4K content, and watch that with the exact same settings for the TV as the DTV feed.  I have multiple services including Dish Sat TV.  Many of their feeds are complete garbage.  Simple local channels broadcast over DTV, like Jeopardy!, look like junk, smoothed out, not sharp etc.  I jump over to Youtube TV, and the picture looks amazing.  It is just the nature unfoturnately of SAT TV and compression, encryption, decryption and decompression.  They now have the Thursday night football in 4K, still doesn't look as good as Youtube TV regular picture they stream.  Prefer the streaming, find it hard to believe it is really a 4K picture they claim to be broadcasting.  I have a 2yr old Sony XBR-75X900E.  Considered at the time one of the best TVs and pictures for the money.  And I have tweaked/calibrated it as best as possible based on AVS Forum and website guidelines, picture for a lot of things is amazing, until I flip on satellite TV.

Probably a similar issue with DTV.  Guarantee the tech will come out and check the angle/signal of the dish receiver, tweak it maybe, do some testing, fiddle around...then just basically say that is all they can do and leave.  Been there.

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

2 y ago

Thanks, I appreciate that. This has just been the worst experience ever. My problem is I had Spectrum right before DirecTV so I was used to a good picture. Only reason I switched over was for Sunday Ticket. So now my bill is higher, internet is slower and picture is worse. Going to cancel as soon as they will buy out my contract.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.