Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

Disneybonnie's profile

Mentor

Tue, Sep 10, 2019 8:54 PM

Possibly Losing DirectTV Channels - ABC, ESPN, DISNEY and others

This is beyond frustrating and must stop. Today across the bottom of my TV a message explained how DirectTV may lose ABC, ESPN, Disney, Freeform and others. It is crazy that us customers may possibly lose channels we watch daily. We just went through this 2 months ago with CBS and other channels we watch. DirectTV needs to do something to make this stop before losing the channels or we will be forced to take our business elsewhere where the company fights for their customers. Ridiculous!!

leewos

Scholar

• 

76 Messages

3 years ago

Hey Litzdog911...………..why doesn't AT&T FILE A COMPLAIN WITH THE FCC if it really cared about it's customers.  Why is it you folks always turn the tables and tell US to complain to the Government or the Station Owner.  What kind of power do WE have?? NONE...…...ZIP...…...ZERO.  The same power we have when AT&T increases our monthly rates every year.  Don't insult us by saying AT&T doesn't guarantee it's service or channel package and can change it at any time.   It's no wonder AT&T is hemorrhaging customers and might be on the brink of selling or dumping Directv all together.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.1K Messages

3 years ago

@Mwennergren 

Not everyone cares about specific locals, or enough to complain about it. With the clause that channels can change at any time, no discount is required, as such one is not provided across the board. However if you call DirecTV they might provide you a small credit as a courtesy.

As for local antenna, one to rent wouldn't be an option, just like they wouldn't have cable to rent. Antennas are a self-purchase item and you get the one that works best for where you live. However, DirecTV is working on a solution for this. They have been working on their Local Channel Connector (LCC) accessory. It allows you to connect a regular antenna to your DirecTV box (only HR44 and HR54 compatible) so you can get those channels by antenna through your DirecTV guide, including possibly channels that DirecTV doesn't have (such as sub-channels). The accessory comes with a simple indoor antenna, but you can use your own with it if needed.

As mentioned the LCC is in testing, not national launch for purchase. But as of the recent Nexstar negotiation, they were offering to those in an area already affected by negotiations where the channel has been pulled. Unknown if they are still providing it, as stock definitely would have dwindled, but may be something to ask about.

The blocking of locals from other markets is because of several reasons. Advertising, news, and weather on these channels are directed at specific markets not intended for areas they do not affect. This can also affect taxes as some areas taxes are not just on state, but county, city, etc. So if providing you a local from another area is in another tax market, that causes issues. And if you are near the viewing area lines, it could change what professional sports teams you can view. Since the transmission of the local contains everything with no option to sort out individual content per viewer, this would cause a violation on many fronts. Naturally the local networks heavily lobbied against this changing.

Contributor

3 years ago

I like many others will immediately drop Direct TV if you drop KUTV. I am tired of loosing local stations. This is not what I pay the high rate to Direct TV for.

Contributor

3 years ago

I saw a header tonight suggesting that att directv will be dropping some of my local/major channels on Friday, October 27. Come on! I just went through a blackout on ABC and now you’re planning on blacking out some more  local/major networks? Do you have any sense of decency at all?  I’m tired of paying att directv for service that does not include the basic local/major networks! And DO NOT suggest an antenna! Your antenna does not work where I live and that was confirmed directly by att directv. Continue blocking my major channels and local viewing and you will not have my family as customers. But, I’m sure that won’t bother any of you in corporate, my $200 a month means nothing to you. You prove that over and over by blacking out ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX etc. I find that to be ruthless and greedy. And, why should I be held to your contract, if you can’t even continue to provide the local/major channels to me? Please explain. Forego a little of your profit and supply your customers with their local/major networks - we all work hard for our money and deserve what we pay for through your company. 

For the record, I am from the Harrisburg/Lancaster area in Pennsylvania. 

3 years ago

Thank you for all of this information - I have learned quite a bit and I'm glad I reached out. Information and education is key.
litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

43.7K Messages

3 years ago

@tugger11 wrote:

I saw a header tonight suggesting that att directv will be dropping some of my local/major channels on Friday, October 27. Come on! I just went through a blackout on ABC and now you’re planning on blacking out some more  local/major networks? Do you have any sense of decency at all?  I’m tired of paying att directv for service that does not include the basic local/major networks! And DO NOT suggest an antenna! Your antenna does not work where I live and that was confirmed directly by att directv. Continue blocking my major channels and local viewing and you will not have my family as customers. But, I’m sure that won’t bother any of you in corporate, my $200 a month means nothing to you. You prove that over and over by blacking out ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX etc. I find that to be ruthless and greedy. And, why should I be held to your contract, if you can’t even continue to provide the local/major channels to me? Please explain. Forego a little of your profit and supply your customers with their local/major networks - we all work hard for our money and deserve what we pay for through your company. 

For the record, I am from the Harrisburg/Lancaster area in Pennsylvania. 

Here we go again Smiley Sad

Realize that the corporation that owns the stations pulled your channel, not DirecTV. This is an all too common negotiating tactic used by these corporations to extort more money from TV service providers.  None are immune, so even switching providers won't help.

Folks complain when local station owners pull their channels from providers like DirecTV demanding more money. And folks complain that their subscription rates are too high. So what are service providers like Dish, Comcast and DirecTV to do?

Here's a suggestion. File a complaint with the FCC. Ask that the FCC allow service providers to deliver another network station instead. That would stop this BS in a heartbeat. After all, these are FREE over-the-air TV stations. Why should TV providers have to pay them anything?

Greedy station owners are killing the cable/satellite TV industry. Look at these statistics showing the rapidly escalating costs that greedy station owners are demanding from cable/satellite providers. Over the past 9 years, a 10x increase in costs ....

230 blackouts in 2019 – Retrans Fees: $11.7B (estimated)
165 blackouts in 2018 – Retrans Fees: $10.5B
213 blackouts in 2017 – Retrans Fees: $9.3B
104 blackouts in 2016 – Retrans Fees: $7.9 B
193 blackouts in 2015 – Retrans Fees: $6.4B
94 blackouts in 2014 – Retrans Fees: $4.8B
119 blackouts in 2013 – Retrans Fees: $3.6B
90 blackouts in 2012 – Retrans Fees: $2.4B
42 blackouts in 2011 – Retrans Fees: $1.7B
8 blackouts in 2010 – Retrans Fees: $1.2B
** Retrans fees in $billions based on data from SNL Kagan

And changing providers won't help. It hits all of them ....

https://www.americantelevisionalliance.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Retrans-Blackouts-2010-2019-.p...

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

43.7K Messages

3 years ago

@Rescue1 wrote:

I like many others will immediately drop Direct TV if you drop KUTV. I am tired of loosing local stations. This is not what I pay the high rate to Direct TV for.

Here we go again Smiley Sad

Realize that the corporation that owns the stations pulled your channel, not DirecTV. This is an all too common negotiating tactic used by these corporations to extort more money from TV service providers.  None are immune, so even switching providers won't help.

Folks complain when local station owners pull their channels from providers like DirecTV demanding more money. And folks complain that their subscription rates are too high. So what are service providers like Dish, Comcast and DirecTV to do?

Here's a suggestion. File a complaint with the FCC. Ask that the FCC allow service providers to deliver another network station instead. That would stop this BS in a heartbeat. After all, these are FREE over-the-air TV stations. Why should TV providers have to pay them anything?

Greedy station owners are killing the cable/satellite TV industry. Look at these statistics showing the rapidly escalating costs that greedy station owners are demanding from cable/satellite providers. Over the past 9 years, a 10x increase in costs ....

230 blackouts in 2019 – Retrans Fees: $11.7B (estimated)
165 blackouts in 2018 – Retrans Fees: $10.5B
213 blackouts in 2017 – Retrans Fees: $9.3B
104 blackouts in 2016 – Retrans Fees: $7.9 B
193 blackouts in 2015 – Retrans Fees: $6.4B
94 blackouts in 2014 – Retrans Fees: $4.8B
119 blackouts in 2013 – Retrans Fees: $3.6B
90 blackouts in 2012 – Retrans Fees: $2.4B
42 blackouts in 2011 – Retrans Fees: $1.7B
8 blackouts in 2010 – Retrans Fees: $1.2B
** Retrans fees in $billions based on data from SNL Kagan

And changing providers won't help. It hits all of them ....

https://www.americantelevisionalliance.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Retrans-Blackouts-2010-2019-.p...

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

43.7K Messages

3 years ago

@leewos wrote:

Hey Litzdog911...………..why doesn't AT&T FILE A COMPLAIN WITH THE FCC if it really cared about it's customers.  Why is it you folks always turn the tables and tell US to complain to the Government or the Station Owner.  What kind of power do WE have?? NONE...…...ZIP...…...ZERO.  The same power we have when AT&T increases our monthly rates every year.  Don't insult us by saying AT&T doesn't guarantee it's service or channel package and can change it at any time.   It's no wonder AT&T is hemorrhaging customers and might be on the brink of selling or dumping Directv all together.

They have!  AT&T, Dish Network, Comcast and others lobbied the FCC and Congress to change the laws so they could deliver an out-of-area alternative station when local stations yank their signals. But they were obviously unsuccessful. Pressure from consumers is the only slim hope we have to fix this mess before the satellite/cable industry is dead. 

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

43.7K Messages

3 years ago

@leewos 

Sounds like you would be much happier with a different provider. At least until they go through the same mess.  As you surely know by now, this is not a problem unique to AT&T/DirecTV. Just look at this ....

Greedy corporations are the main driver of increased cable/satellite prices, and they're killing TV providers. I'm glad that these providers are more willing to play hardball. 

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

17.1K Messages

3 years ago

I have an OTA  antenna that I use all the time so when we lost the CBS owned station it didn't affect me.

Contributor

3 years ago

I knew Directv would be ruined by ATT. If you remove Tennis Channel and ESPN I'm done and moving to another carrier. Half your channels are worthless viewing like shopping and advertising channels that no one is subscribing for. I've deleted them from my playlist. I pay extra for the Sports channels and you threaten to remove them? Get your head out of your {edited for word filter evasion} AT&T!!! Do the math.

Furthermore your broadcast is the worst. Screen freezes, blackouts...geez!! I had some bozo here last week because PBS was blacking out every 10 mins. on every box.

The delivery quality needs serious work and you want more money from the content providers? Without content you're nothing.

I'll be glad when we get progressive leadership at the FCC and I can purchase channels a la carte. I'll only need 20.

Americans are being fleeced by AT&T. Time to break up the big monopolies....again.

Tutor

3 years ago

Live in the San Antonio market and have been a U-verse customer since 2009.  I am sick of channels being blacked out yet my bill stays the same.  If WOAI and Fox 29 are blacked out on 9/27 as it currently stands, AT&T will lose a customer on 9/28.  Spectrum will get my business and money.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Is it really a fact that these loss of chs r being brought back? Ch 3 is our local news & weather station & there r other reasons I like it as well. If we lose these chs, I may be forced to switch as well. It’s not  right that these cable providers get to do whatever they please & get away with it. IT NEEDS TO BE CONTROLLED & STOPPED

TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

13.9K Messages

3 years ago

thgis is the satellite forum not uverse

TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

13.9K Messages

3 years ago

yikjesarooney. You seem to be misinterpreting everything.

The channels are being removed by the channel provider not by ATT

The channel provider does not pay ATT anything, it's the other way round.

You don't pay anything for the "worthless" ad channels, they pay ATT.

The packaging of the channels is nothing to do with the FCC.  The channel provider decides how it is going to package the channels in "blocks" and that's what you get. And a study a couple of years ago showed that for many people delivering channels "a la carte" would increase the price they pay not decrease it.

If you go to another provider, they are just as likely to have blackouts.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.