Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

N

• 

11 Messages

Wednesday, November 30th, 2022 3:59 PM

Recording "Stopped By Server"

I got a new Genie 2 install yesterday. Was told by the rep and the installer that this was a game-changing upgrade and I was going to have an amazing experience. 

I set up a recording of a basketball game - added my usual additional hour to the programming. Several hours later, I sat down to watch it. The recording ended at 1:57 - somewhere early in the third quarter. Frustrating as (Edited per community guidelines). I saw two other recordings, so checked out the second. It was about 30 minutes of a black screen with the DIRECTV logo.  No programming at all - Stopped By Server.

The third recording was the remainder of the game, basically the last three minutes of the game plus the additional time I'd added on the back end.  I essentially lost about 1/4 of the game, and had to attempt to access it across three recordings.

All the recordings say they were "Stopped By Server".

We are using AT&T Fiber (1 GIG).

Two questions:

• What does this mean and it it avoidable/correctable?
  • How the f*ck is this an "upgrade"?

Spoke with a couple reps who couldn't give me a straight answer.  The customer service at DirecTV continues to be some of the worst, made-up (Edited per community guidelines) on the planet. I've wasted countless hours on the phone with this mess.  Hoping someone can explain things here.

Thanks kindly!

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.7K Messages

2 months ago

DirecTV is service by satellite. Your AT&T Fiber only matters if the programming is from On Demand.

The Genie-2 (HS17) is not something I would ever refer to as a "game changer" (at least not in a positive light) per the restrictive design. However "stopped by server" may not necessarily be an issue specific to that model.

I would do a red button reset on the HS17, if not a full power cycle by unplugging power for a couple minutes (does dump the guide data so can take 24-48hrs before you can schedule recordings through the guide again).

As for how is it an "upgrade", what boxes did you have before and how many TVs total?

• 

11 Messages

2 months ago

Thanks for the response!  Super, super frustrating experience.  

Previous equipment was a model HR54-500.  Two TV's total.  

I'll attempt these resets, but if this continues to be an issue, breaking up sports recordings (or ANY recordings, for that matter) into multiple segments and missing complete portions of games, I'm going back to the old setup.  While I like that this newer setup allows for two smaller clients at each TV, it's not worth a (Edited per community guidelines)ty overall viewing experience.  

I'm not technically savvy enough to understand what is causing this, but it's ridiculous to have a DirecTV rep tell me this is how it's supposed to be functioning and not be able to even explain it to me in layman's terms.  

Again - really appreciate the response!  Thank YOU!

(edited)

• 

11 Messages

2 months ago

A follow-up question, if I may:

What is this "server" that is stopping the recording? And why is it doing this?

I'd had experiences with my recordings stopping early with my old equipment, but this is something completely different; a recording stopped, then re-started independent of the previous recording. Then done again a third time.  Yet the second of the three recordings didn't even capture the program.  

Like, what is triggering this event to stop the recording? 

I don't get this at all.  

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

17.4K Messages

2 months ago

Segmented recordings sounds like a signal problem. DTV considers the HS17 as a server so that could be what is being referred to.

• 

11 Messages

2 months ago

@shannon02 - thank you for chiming in!  So does this mean there's an issue with the HS17 and my dish?  You'd be amazed how many folks at DTV just make stuff up in trying to help me troubleshoot this thing.  I spent nearly three hours today trying to get to the bottom of this thing.  One rep suggested that TNT (the station/network that broadcast the game) was functioning as the "server" and was somehow restricting access. A friend who lives 3 miles from me recorded the same game via DTV with his older genie and had no issues at all.  

Frustrating!

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.7K Messages

2 months ago

All Genies are a server as they run the Mini Genie Clients. The HS17 is a Headless Server tower, so doesn't go on a TV itself like the regular Genie line which is a full HDDVR receiver in addition to being a server.

Genie (HR34, HR44, HR54) has 5 tuners and 1TB recording space.

HDDVRs have 2 tuners and 500GB recording space (320 GB on earlier models)

Mini Genie Clients have none, so share space and each steal one tuner from Genie.

Genie-2 (HS17) has 7 tuners and 2TB recording space. By base capability is more than HR54, but has a lower hard cap as forbids other receiver/HDDVRs. Not a huge issue for 2TVs. Though no PiP as Clients only use a single tuner each.

• 

11 Messages

2 months ago

Thanks @Juniper

So if we are never going to max out that 2 TB recording space, don't need PiP - just want to know that the programming we DO record will be there and work as promised - is there any advantage to Genie 2? Aesthetically, we like that in the living room we are able to bury the tower behind our media cart and just have the much more discreet client box in view. 

If we had to endure what @shannon02 described as "segmented recording", however, I'd send it all back in an instant.  

Lost in all this is that amongst the segmented recordings, the second recording was just blank screen with the DIRECTV logo - no actual programming.  Even piecing it together across three separate recordings didn't help, as I'd lost over a full quarter and a half of basketball.  Awful.  

Are we better off with the older model genie setup with DVR in living room and client in bedroom?  Seems like it to me. 

To this point it feels nothing like an "upgrade".  

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

17.4K Messages

2 months ago

Worth checking out Menu>Settings & Help>Settings>Satellite>View Signal Strength mainly the 99/103 sats.

• 

11 Messages

2 months ago

@shannon02 - i don't know what this means. Is there something you can point me towards that tells me what to look for?  I ran the test but don't know what all the numbers mean. 

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

17.4K Messages

2 months ago

99/103 should be in the 80s the higher the better.  The blank screen with the Logo means that it wasn't broadcasting at the time.

(edited)

• 

11 Messages

2 months ago

Thanks @shannon02 - weird thing about the 30 minute blank screen is my friend who lives 3 miles away recorded the same game via DirecTV using the older model Genie and got the entire recording in one stream/viewing.  No issues whatsoever.  Mine is chopped up in three parts.  

Appreciate your generosity with your time.  Can you please answer one last question?  I really don't know what you mean by 99/103.  Where/what am I looking for?

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.7K Messages

2 months ago

The 99/103 refer to satellite position of 99 degrees and 103 degrees. With the navigation path provided above those satellites should be on the screen to search through.

Unless you needed additional tuners (5 to 7) because of too many recordings at the same time, more recording space (1TB to 2TB), or wanted the capability of two 4K Clients (C61K) using a 4K channel at the same time, then I concur you did not gain anything with this "upgrade".

I would have only considered replacing the Client with an HDDVR (if they were still available) as you no longer worry about all eggs in one basket with the separate hard drives and its own processor. Unfortunately, upgrades do not have a grace period. So going back to the prior kind of setup before your next free upgrade would be the one-time lease cost of $299 for the Genie replacing one of your Clients.

I so want to have a "discussion" with the agent who claimed the Genie-2 (HS17) was "game changing".

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

17.4K Messages

2 months ago

Doesn't matter if your friend can record the games, their system is working correctly.  Most games maybe on several channels if the Genie can't get it on the correct channel it searches for another channel and got a channel that wasn't broadcasting it.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.