Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

cgm5443's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Mon, Jun 5, 2017 12:45 PM

Satellite signal loss triggers automatic switch to fiber for TV

I was told that the ATT/DirecTV partnership using fiber optics would implement an AUTOMATIC switch from satellite TV reception  to fiber optic reception of my TV signal.  When the satellite signal returned an automatic switch back would occur.  Is this true?

TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

13.8K Messages

5 y مضت

No. It has been talked about but nothing has been implemented yet, and it might never be.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 y مضت

This answered my question but cast some serious doubts about the honesty of your salespeople.  It was because of signal loss during heavy rain that I switched to cable.  The much higher internet speeds plus the promise of having the automatic switch was what convinced me to go back to satellite.  My wife of 60 years likes TV, I like the higher internet speeds AND peace and quiet.  I will probably be going back to cable shortly after the first heavy rain.  

mdram4x4

Master

• 

6.5K Messages

5 y مضت

where did you talk to this salesperson at that told you this?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 y مضت

I talked with xxx  a door to door salesperson for the DIRECTV/ATT joint venture.  During our conversation I expressed my concern about signal loss during heavy rain.  She told me that todays equipment was much superior to what I had in the 1980's and seldom lost their signal.  In addition ATT had a way of sending the signal over their fiber optic cable for short periods of time.  When I pressed her for details, she explained that she wasn't technical enough to answer further, but that when the fiber optic installers came, to be sure and ask them and they would explain everything.  It was almost a week later, June 5, 2017, that the internet and telephone systems were installed.  When I asked the technician doing the install about the switch over backup, he said he had heard of it but didn't know that it had been implemented.  He than told me I should be ok because I had a wired Ethernet connection, which he connected, directly (through a switch) to my Netgear R8000 router.  We had a heavy rain a few days later, lost the satellite signal for a few minutes and then it came back, BECAUSE the rain had stopped, not because of any switch over to fiber.  My wife was not home and I haven't told her.

[Edited for privacy-This is a public forum. Please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

mdram4x4

Master

• 

6.5K Messages

5 y مضت

to my knowledge att/directv do not go door to door

its usually a third party resellet like smart circle

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 y مضت

You are correct!  I just checked my paperwork and Sadie Montoya works for Now Communications, LLC.  The letter head says that they are an Authorized Dealer for DIRECTV.  My mistake and I apologize to ATT.  You would think that after 81+ years I'd be more careful.  Guess I was blinded by thought of 1Gbps internet access.  Which, by the way, I only achieve when testing through Oolka.  All others, including Verizon, test much lower.  Yes, I'm directly connected to the ATT modem when testing. I was planning on checking each segment of my home network and repair as necessary.  I'm using cat 5e cable except in my "office" where I use cat 6.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

16.7K Messages

5 y مضت

Older homes don't have fiber and AT&T doesn't have access to all areas for internet service so there is limited use for switching plus rain fade should only last for as long as that storm cell is between the dish and the sat.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.