Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

key1968's profile

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

Tuesday, September 2nd, 2014 5:27 AM

Trying to connect moden for OnDemand knocks out internet

So I had trouble connecting the DirecTV modem to my wireless because i cannot run an Ethernet to the Modem.  After a reset, i was finally able to find the wireless connection and enter the password, etc.  It worked, for about 10 minutes.

Then, no wireless....for anything.  There was internet being piped through, but the router could not connect.  Laptop, ipads, smartphones....none could connect.

I unplug the Cable modem and wireless router, etc.  worked for a few minutes, then down again.

I figured it was the DirecTV modem doing this.  I reset the cable modem and router.  I also reset the DirecTV modem again....I did not connect it to the wireless router this time, however.

Low and behold, my internet works again. For some reason, having the wireless router connected to the DirecTV modem caused all the connectivity to go to crap.

I have a Genie DVR : Model: HR34-700

Have comcast with their Modem and NetGear router

Anyone else experience this? 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

peds48

Expert

• 

32K Messages

8 years ago

Because those two are different network interfaces.  SO what is happening is that the Genie is getting an IP via its ethernet NID and another IP via its DECA interface from your router at the same time, this creates a network loop in your router which will create havoc in your network

shannon01

Professor

• 

2.8K Messages

8 years ago

DTV doesn't have a modem you must be using the WCCK (wireless cinema connection kit ) and if you have a SWM system you need to use the coax connections and it would help to know what is the model number of the receiver(s) you are trying to connect. 

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

i thought i did indicate the model of the receiver above:Model: HR34-700

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

and what is a SWM system?

shannon01

Professor

• 

2.8K Messages

8 years ago

Sorry missed that and since the HR34 is SWM only (Single Wire Multiswitch) you have it, you need to disconnect the coax from the back of the HR34 and connect it to the "To LNB" port on the WCCK then you need a coax from the other port back to the HR34.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

it appears that was already set up by the installer.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

it appears all was set up to work correctly....but when connected to the internet....the internet then goes down

peds48

Expert

• 

32K Messages

8 years ago

There no be no ethernet cable from the CCK -W to the HR34.  Only coax between them.

dcd

Expert

• 

20.7K Messages

8 years ago

Use only a coax jumper to connect the wireless CCK to the HR34.  Do not use a Ethernet cable.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks Guys...so much

So, i should unplug the Ethernet, maybe do a "restore Default" and try again

Wonder why the installer plugged in the Ethernet cable?

peds48

Expert

• 

32K Messages

8 years ago

Correct.  Unfortunately is a common mistake made by rookie installers

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

Ill try this when i get home

One question:  The Cinema box has both the cables and the ethernet plugged in.....

Why would the Ethernet cause the system not to work correctly?  Just more of an FYI for me.

thanks

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks so much PEDS....I think you just explained why my Wireless Network shut down after connecting to the CINEMA Box.

Awesome Info!!  Thanks.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

amazing how this now works.  Unplugged the Ethernet and everything works.

Can't believe the Installer didn't know this....

peds48

Expert

• 

32K Messages

8 years ago

Awesome.  Thanks for the update.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.