Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

millionare's profile

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

Mon, Oct 24, 2016 3:46 AM

Unable to playback from beginning of programs

Message says internet speed does not allow for smooth playback...

We have COX fiber optic internet and is the fastest they offer for residential.

All of our devices are screaming fast with room to spare.

My question..

Why is DTV having issues with their equipment handling these tech problems?

So the next thing I get is I have to reset all my equipment! Again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again!!!!!!

Here is an option that DTV might consider... instead of trying to play catchup with technology, try getting ahead of it and anticipate these problems ahead of time and be proactive with your systems. Seems it's always a reactive situation and the techs don't always have a viable answer for the customers who have issues.

We can go on forever about customer service and the bottom line but they've heard it all and have an incredible team that has these concerns under control! Really? We'll see. Maybe not in my life time.

In the mean time Dish is way ahead of the tech game and is looking as maybe a little more research might be in order.

peds48

Expert

• 

32K Messages

5 y ago

1. What model of receiver do you have? Look for the model number inside the access card door..
  2. How are you connecting your DirecTV® receivers to the internet?
  3. What is your download speed?

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

5 y ago

Down speed - 49.74

Up speed - 52.95

RID - 0252 1942 9872

HR 44-200

Connection via ethernet to main dvr 

Genies in other rooms have same issues

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

5 y ago

Well... experts?

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

5 y ago

Disgusted...

I'm done.

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

5 y ago

I have the same exact problem. Every time I try the "play from beginning" function I am getting errors about my internet connection being too slow.

"Your current internet connection speed does not allow for a smooth playback of this streaming program."  Selecting "More Info" states "a minimum internet connection speed of 2.0 Mbps is required to instantly play this On Demand program and maintain smooth video streaming. We have detected the current connection speed is 0.0 Mbps."

1. Model receiver: C41-700

2. Wi-Fi connection, (AT&T) Motorola NVG510 Router, Internet Service Provider: AT&T

3. 3.40 Mbps download speed, 0.47 upload speed

On the other hand, I have no problems streaming On Demand movies or watching Netflix etc. I really would like to see a solution or advice to this problem as I find the "watch from beginning" feature to be very useful. Any help please?

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

40.9K Messages

5 y ago

Those guidelines (2.0Mbps download) are silly.  We generally advise that you want better than 5-10Mbps download for real time streaming.  Your 3.4Mbps is too slow.  Sorry.  

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

5 y ago

Thanks for the answer, greatly appreciated. Believe it or not - I was told this is the fastest speed AT&T is offering in my area. I live in a very large metropolitan area and AT&T is charging me $47 per month for Internet.

But my question remains: any idea why I don't experience any problems while streaming On Demand, Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube, etc? Shouldn't the "play from beginning" feature work, since technically it's the same as "streaming"?

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

15.4K Messages

5 y ago

Those services change the resolution to fit your download speed, the networks On Demand servers send it at the resolution it was made in and in real time.

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

5 y ago

Thanks for the explanation. In that case, I take it that DIRECTV could (theoretically) provide a fix in the future - if they updated their programming to account for the variable resolution, buffering etc. ... similar to the other services out there. After all Prime, Netflix, YouTube etc. are also streaming In Real Time. So my current solution would be to either change my internet provider, or my dish (cable) provider - or both. But thanks a lot, your explanation makes sense - although "millionaire" reported the same exact problem and his download speed is a whopping 49 Mbps (what can you say, the man is driving a Porsche, while I’m cruising on a tricycle :-). I am speculating the problem has to do with something more than just "slow speed" - and maybe it could be addressed on a future firmware update.

Right now I'm paying $179/mo. for DIRECTV, $47/mo. for internet service from AT&T plus $7/mo. for internet equipment fee. Honestly, for that cost I do expect the promoted features to work flawlessly. Nevertheless, I do appreciate the comments on these forums and the dedication of some of the tech support agents. Most of the problems appear to be caused from the top echelons in the company.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

15.4K Messages

5 y ago

It is the channels that control their On Demand servers, DTV has no control over how they send you their programs.

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

5 y ago

I see what you're saying, but wouldn't that be more plausible only if the "play from the beginning" feaure would at least work on some of the channels? But it doesn't - all channels have the same problem. Should I assume that none of those independent "channels" can provide variable streaming, buffering etc. while Netflix, Prime, YouTube behave normally?  I hope I'm not offending you, but it's hard to believe that the problem is caused by multiple other "channels" because they control their own On Demand servers. Digital content is not just "pushed" by the servers, it is also "pulled" by the receiver (in my case Model: C41-700). Kinda like the client-side (browser) and server-side on the WWW. So you don't think a firmware update from DIRECTV can fix this?

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

40.9K Messages

5 y ago

You're problem with "play from the beginning" is that your internet download speed is too slow.  When your DVR tries to stream the OnDemand version of that show, it's too slow.  Instead, you can search for that show from the relevant OnDemand channel and record it to your DVR for later viewing.  It might take a few hours since your internet is slow. 

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

5 y ago

@shannon02  @litzdog911 But even if I switch to another internet provider at 49Mbps download speed (the Porsche :-), doesn't really guarantee that what you guys are saying it's actually going to work. The original commentator to this topic (millionaire) already proved that speed is not necessarily the Holy Grail of Explanations. That is why I'm still skeptical.

Again thanks for your input and hope I didn't offend you guys in any way. I'm just a DIRECTV and AT&T customer annoyed by such a simple and convenient feature like "play from beginning". I guess what I'm learning here today is that my internet speed ("the highest in my area") for $47/mo. and the equipment (AT&T Motorola NVG510 router) at $7/mo. is like a tricycle on the digital superhighway. Maybe AT&T should make sure every zone of service should be upgraded to minimum speeds of 5-10Mbps. I will however consider doing some homework on cost/value comparison with other companies in my area. I don't like my tricycle 🙂 But again, speed will not necessarily solve my "watch from the beginning" problem. I will also have to look into cable/dish/digital etc. cost/value comparisson because I think for $179/mo. my "watch from beginning" darn thing should just ... work. (We're talkng remote-control thinggy feature thang people 🙂

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

15.4K Messages

5 y ago

Age of the home and the area you are in limits what your internet will be, my home was built in the 50's the only options with the beginning of internet was dial up then DSL with a 2mps limit came later until Select TV ran coax to the area and now Spectrum owns the coax and I pay for 50 mps.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

5 y ago

Update on my internet speed so we can rule out it's a speed thing... Upload @ 800Mbps, Download @ 700MbpsAT&T High Speed Internet Speed Test.jpg

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.