Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

millionare's profile

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

Monday, October 24th, 2016 3:46 AM

Unable to playback from beginning of programs

Message says internet speed does not allow for smooth playback...

We have COX fiber optic internet and is the fastest they offer for residential.

All of our devices are screaming fast with room to spare.

My question..

Why is DTV having issues with their equipment handling these tech problems?

So the next thing I get is I have to reset all my equipment! Again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again!!!!!!

Here is an option that DTV might consider... instead of trying to play catchup with technology, try getting ahead of it and anticipate these problems ahead of time and be proactive with your systems. Seems it's always a reactive situation and the techs don't always have a viable answer for the customers who have issues.

We can go on forever about customer service and the bottom line but they've heard it all and have an incredible team that has these concerns under control! Really? We'll see. Maybe not in my life time.

In the mean time Dish is way ahead of the tech game and is looking as maybe a little more research might be in order.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I have the same issue most of the time. Play from beginning usually doesn't work, claiming network speed is too slow.

Speedtest.net says my download speed is 15.41 Mbps. Wait, let's try that again with just WiFi. . . 12.22 Mbps.

I have a Genie Gen 1 (HR34-700) DVR. I'm using the DirecTV connection kit to connect the DVR to my AT&T Uverse Residential Gateway over WiFi. Gateway is set to 802.11b/g (11/54 Mbps). Max connection rate set to 54 Mbps and power rating set to max (400 mW).

Reported speeds seem to exceed the recommended OnDemand guideline. What else could be wrong?

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

44.1K Messages

6 years ago

@dawddillon, first thing you should do is dump the HR34 Genie DVR. They're junk.  Call DirecTV and insist on an HR44/54 Genie DVR to replace it. 

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

Yesterday there was a firmware update on my receiver and guess what? Playback function is now working!!!! Even with my measly internet speed! YEY!!!!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Us too! They told us we could get the 18 or something like that and they can and installed and said sorry to tell you but you’ll only get 3 here and paid just as much as the higher one!

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

44.1K Messages

5 years ago

@Ashjay wrote:

Us too! They told us we could get the 18 or something like that and they can and installed and said sorry to tell you but you’ll only get 3 here and paid just as much as the higher one!

@Ashjay,

Are you talking about download speeds?  18Mbps and 3Mbps?  That has nothing to do with DirecTV.  That's on your internet service provider. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

So this answer that "Your problem is that your internet download speeds are too slow" is complete and utter crap. I average 328Mbps down, and while the internet connection test on my DVR says I can stream 4k without an issue, i am unable to use play from beginning on ANY channel. It always says my internet speeds are too slow. So please tell me a real solution, as i would be happy to hear it. Do i need to open blocked ports, like i had to with the mobile app? Do i need to place it in a DMZ, and open ALL ports, as some of your "Experts" have suggested? Tell me why play back from beginning does not work?

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Using a WiFi analyzer app on my phone to test my Uverse residential gateway, I learned a few things:
- The gateway has both 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi.
- Both signals at my DVR are weak. Not only that, the signal strength varies so much that it seems to disappear becoming unavailable for minutes at a time, even standing right over the gateway. (Not sure if that's a real thing, or just a feature of the way the WiFi analyzer app works on my phone.)
- The 2.4 GHz signal was dropping out completely within 24-48 hours after restarting the gateway. Confirmed by devices that only connect on 2.4 never reconnecting to the gateway.

We contacted AT&T about the gateway performance. They "ran a test" and found my gateway needed to be replaced. I received the identical model. Fixed the issue of 2.4 dropping out, but didn't fix the signal strength issue.

I then discovered the WiFi extenders offered by AT&T for $35 each. I had been looking at such devices at Best Buy, but didn't buy anything figuring there would be incompatibilities between off the shelf items and the AT&T and DirecTV equipment.

The WiFi extender has resolved our issues with DirecTV on demand, and playback from beginning. I may consider getting one more extender to improve signal strength throughout my home. Systems at Best Buy went for ~$70 for three extenders (i.e. less expensive if you can make it work), but I went with the AT&T devices assuming they tested compatibility with their devices.

Contributor

4 years ago

Don’t listen to the bogus troubleshooting they try and get you to do just to have them say it’s your internet. I am I commercial directv installer and can tell you for sure it’s a software issue with your receiver. Download new software by red button resetting it and as soon as the power light comes back on and the hello welcome to directv screen hit 0,2,4,6,8 on your directv remote and it will download newest software.

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

44.1K Messages

4 years ago

@Shoey2828 wrote:

Don’t listen to the bogus troubleshooting they try and get you to do just to have them say it’s your internet. I am I commercial directv installer and can tell you for sure it’s a software issue with your receiver. Download new software by red button resetting it and as soon as the power light comes back on and the hello welcome to directv screen hit 0,2,4,6,8 on your directv remote and it will download newest software.

Horrible advice!!!

Never force a software download unless you absolutely know what you're going to get. It's all too likely that you'll download some test version that could brick your DVR. 

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.