Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

LakeMaryJane's profile

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

Sat, Nov 26, 2016 7:53 PM

Where is the Directv App for windows 10?

I see all the commercials and the splash page on the DirecTV home page saying you can watch / take all your live or recorded shows with you. But I can not find the DirecTV app in the Windows store or on the DirecTV website. Browsing thier website when logged in I can see the guide etc but this does not allow me to watch most of the live channels I pay for.

lilricky

Former Employee

• 

536 Messages

5 y ago

When you clicked on something to watch, did it prompt you to install the Directv Player?

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14.4K Messages

5 y ago

The Directv website will allow you stream from some networks. MobileDVR was recently released as a repacement to the GenieGo/Nomad, but it is a mobile app only at this time. A Windows version is yet to come out which may take some time as Windows 10 uses desktop apps which is still a bit different from mobile apps, though Windows is trying to integrate the 2 platforms as 1 concept. Previous Windows 7/Vista/XP/ME/98SE/95 were seperate platforms from mobile so the full integration is the new era. Try Windows 3.1, MS-DOS, or go back further to my favorite Commodore 64. So a little patience as many programs are still catching up to Windows 10.

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

41.4K Messages

5 y ago

Folks have reported success using the Nox app on their PCs to emulate Android device, then you can use the Android App with Mobile DVR and your HR44/54 Genie DVR ...   www.bignox.com

Gem615

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

5 y ago

They apparently have NEVER built ANY app for ANY WINDOWS DEVICES & no clue if they are ever planning to, as no one has ever expanded on this short & extremely frustrating answer.
Gem615

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

5 y ago

Maybe someone needs to let them know that MS is no longer supporting several of those platforms, incl XP (& advised users), hence the free upgrade to Win 10 for everyone until last July... Maybe this fact could help speed them up a little more to focus on maybe only Win 7 (maybe), 8.1 & 10... Anyone w older unsupported versions (also no longer getting updates- security & otherwise) may not even be as computer saavy enough to know of/ want to use a streaming app. Windows should've been one of the first apps they built alongside iOs, esp considering it's pretty much on almost everybody's PC/ laptop (as well as a large number of smartphones & tablets).... Sucks being a long-time DTV customer & feeling like they could care less about keeping you as one....

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 y ago

I will be pulling my subscription if there is no windows 10 app before contract is up.  500 million plus devices and no app.  This is just crazy.  They could write one app for UWP and cover PC, Laptop, XBOX, phone, tablets, augmented reality (hololens) and more.  So sad that a company this size doesn't see the need.

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

41.4K Messages

5 y ago

@dleethomas, have you tried www.bignox.com Android App emulator. Works just fine on PCs with Win10. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 y ago

No success here.. the NOX app uses its own virtual wireless network, which by definition puts it on a different network than the Genie HD DVR.  And it's a poor excuse for a Windows-based viewing app anyway.. basically a phone emulator.  You have to search settings to find a way to set up landscape mode as default, which is the only way this could be used on a PC.

Sorry, but  NOX ain't cuttin it..

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

41.4K Messages

5 y ago

@Jeeves55, several folks here have used Nox with no problems, including @TexasBrit.  Hopefully one of them can help you.  

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 y ago

If you're saying that the customers of DirecTV should rely on opensource / thirdparty software for basic functionality, you're an apologist for the crappy service they are providing.  A company this size should be more interested in supporting their customer base by providing a full range of viewing options, including those most commonly used, like the Windows OS.

I notice no one has responded with comments about the configuration of NOX, either; 

mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

6.5K Messages

5 y ago

directv is a satellite tv provider.

many of their customers have no access to internet service

its a waste of their resources to develop things that wont be widely used

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14.4K Messages

5 y ago

@Jeeves55

Yes it would be nice if there was a Winows app in some form. The fact is there is not. Suggesting a 3rd party work around does not make someone an apologist (not apologizing or making an argument on Directv's stance). They are just other users suggesting an option until there is a Windows app (if ever). It is up to you if you use it or not.

lilricky

Former Employee

• 

536 Messages

5 y ago

Great point.

trongod05

Mentor

• 

56 Messages

5 y ago

@Gem615 They did have DirecTV2PC.  Cyberlink made the app.  However, DirecTV killed for support for it out of the blue.  Then they killed support for the GeniGO out of the blue as well.  Both apps allowed you to stream your DVR content to you PC.  The most likely reason is they are too paranoid that PC users, being smarter than the average smart device, would find a way to rip the content.  I'm willing to bet if they ever do come out with another app, it will be so locked down with DRM and other various security safeguards that it will be a pain in the butt to use.  Again, that's IF they do.  But my bet is they won't because paranoia.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

15.7K Messages

5 y ago

It is the content providers that require HDCP. 

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.