Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

E

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, January 25th, 2023 2:27 AM

Can DirecTV *STREAM* be used with Xfinity instead of AT&T internet?

I have DirecTV Stream with AT&T internet. High speed internet is not available in my area and AT&T won't give an answer as to when it will be available. I would like to switch to high speed internet which is available from Xfinity. Is DirecTV Stream compatible with Xfinity internet service? I'm having trouble getting a definitive answer one way or another.

detuch254

ACE - New Member

• 

3.4K Messages

13 days ago

Yes, it is perfectly compatible with any ISP, including Xfinity Internet. Think of it like this. As long as your mobile device or computer can connect to the internet ‘reliably’ and with quick speeds, directv stream should work PERFECTLY FINE. If you weren’t already aware, there is always better reliability with a wired Ethernet connection however wireless Wi-Fi does work too. Once you get Xfinity Internet installed, you’ll need to update the Wi-Fi settings for your streaming device. This will involve connecting to the new ssid (wifi network)/router.

detuch254

ACE - New Member

• 

3.4K Messages

13 days ago

HOWEVER, there is one pre-requisite. You MUST have a static IP address in order for DIRECTV STREAM to properly identify your home network, ensure you are getting the 20 simultaneous streams, as well as keep your local channels and RSNs accurate. Otherwise, you’ll face many issues with having to change your location over and over again until you get stuck since there are only 4 location changes per year. 

Ludwick577

ACE - New Member

• 

2.5K Messages

12 days ago

Make sure have how much data Xfinity will allow for the plan you choose as well. I am pretty sure they have data caps.

Jrandomuser

ACE - Expert

• 

700 Messages

9 days ago

That isn't true.  What you need is an address that very very rarely changes.  Some ISPs provide that with a dynamic address - mine hasn't changed in at least 3 years, likely much longer.  Unfortunately, others don't - hence the problems some people have with DTV Stream loosing track of the "home" network.  (Other services use different approaches to determine the home network, but those have their own - if different - problems.)  Requiring users to get true static addresses isn't really a good solution - some ISPs don't offer them at all, while those that do charge a (sometimes quite large) premium and (depending on how the ISP implements them) they can have security and privacy concerns.  However, for users whose ISPs have actually changing dynamic IP addresses, there is no other good solution with DTV Stream's current approach, and it isn't clear that an end user can always know if they'll have a problem.

So telling a user they MUST have a static address is silly, but warning them about the problem is reasonable.  The real issue is that DTV Stream's approach is bad, but all the alternatives raise problems for either DTV or for the users, and I'll assume DTV doesn't want to raise problems for themselves, so the users "suffer".

Ludwick577

ACE - New Member

• 

2.5K Messages

9 days ago

I used to have Xfinity and the dynamic IP they give you rarely changes. Maybe once every 8-12 months. But remember their data caps. If you are on a plan with a data cap you want to make sure you have enough to stream Directv Stream. 

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.