Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums

Connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

J

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, July 9th, 2022 2:46 PM

DirecTV stream streaming box after cancelling service

I recently canceled DirecTV stream because they do not have NFL network and other live sports that I like to watch. The streaming device continued to work and allowing me to access apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc for a week and now it is requiring me to sign in. I had to purchase the device, shouldn't it continue to work? Thanks.

ACE - Sage

• 

45.9K Messages

2 years ago

No, it won't. The DirecTV Stream box is a boat anchor without a subscription. 

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

1.2K Messages

2 years ago

Actually, according to their Terms and Conditions for the streaming device (in a somewhat contradictory paragraph - #3) they claim that it should continue to work for other services even after you cancel:

. Use of Device. Your access to and use of the Device requires You maintaining an active DIRECTV STREAM account. You may access the Device by entering the user ID and password associated with your DIRECTV STREAM Service. If you cancel your subscription to the DIRECTV STREAM Service, you may continue accessing the Device without an active DIRECTV STREAM account using the same or other valid DIRECTV STREAM user ID and password.

I haven't seen a definitive report from someone who actually did this, but it is in the T&C, so it would seem they have an obligation to make that happen.

@jeannjeann28 - have you tried to log in to the device with your old account credentials?  If so, what happened?

ACE - Sage

• 

45.9K Messages

2 years ago

Perhaps "accessing the device" and actually using it are two different things?

ACE - New Member

• 

3.3K Messages

2 years ago

Yah just log in with your credentials, even though you cancelled, and see what happens.

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I am able to log in and then another box displays that says "Subscribe to enjoy this and more with AT&T Now". I am not able to go the Apps screen. When I try to access the Apps screen, it takes me back to the log in screen. 

ACE - New Member

• 

5.2K Messages

2 years ago

AT&T now?! You must have subscribed to the older service AT&T Now that is now no longer available, not DIRECTV STREAM. That’s weird.

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I can no longer access my non subscription box because, it now says I’ve entered the incorrect information. I was using it as just a streaming device but now it has quit. Is it junk now?

ACE - Sage

• 

45.9K Messages

2 years ago

@Cocoaman55 

Probably. 

ACE - Expert

• 

6K Messages

2 years ago

The box is now a brick since you are no longer subscribed to the service. Trash it and go with another streaming device.

ACE - Expert

• 

1.2K Messages

2 years ago

I think someone in that situation - with a device they paid for (preferably directly from AT&T or DirecTV) and no longer an active subscription - should contact Support, indicate the relevant section from the Terms & Conditions, indicate that there is a legal obligation to provide what is indicated, and see what the response is.    It seems clear to me that they didn’t need to include that statement, but since they did they should be held to it. 

(edited)

Contributor

• 

11 Messages

2 years ago

I was told by DirecTV tech support that the box is like a Roku device. Are they lying

Contributor

• 

11 Messages

2 years ago

I was told by a DirecTV tech support rep that since I own the boxes that they should work just like a Roku device. My service contract ends Nov 18 2022. So I'll see.

ACE - Expert

• 

6K Messages

2 years ago

It's a proprietary box design specifically for the DirecTV Stream service. I know of no one that has been able to use the device without a subscription. I have 2 boxes and have never figured a way to use the device without a subscription. There are no guides or directions available to indicate how to use the device. Suggest you contact support and demand instructions. Many have asked, but no one has provided (if it is possible) any details.

Contributor

• 

11 Messages

2 years ago

It will probably figure that they were lying to me. My contract expires tonight. I own one box outright because I bought it when it was ATT TV after u verse. They told me since I've been in contract for the past two years and an ATT customer over 2 decades that the box is mine and they don't need it back. So now I have two so called android boxes which might be junk. I'll call support to see if they would buy them back but I doubt it. Just in case I ordered a Roku box. Only need one cause the wife's TV is a TCL Roku smart TV. Mine is an older Vizio which only has Yahoo app crap on it and they don't even work good. 

ACE - Expert

• 

1.2K Messages

2 years ago

The devices would be yours contract or no contract - they don't lease them, they sell them, and they won't buy them back.  However, as noted upstream the T&C say they should keep working for other apps.  If you try it and they don't work, you should contact Customer Service and find out why not.  If you don't get any satisfaction from CS, try escalating your complaint - and if that doesn't work, try filing a complaint with the BBB, as some people have reported doing so gets an escalated response.

If you do end up wanting to sell the devices, there is a market on eBay (for a lot less than the $120 they originally cost), but you will need to "unlock" them by turning off auto-login (info here).

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.