Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

J

• 

2 Messages

Mon, Nov 22, 2021 1:14 AM

samsung c71kw-400 will not connect to wi-fi

I have new ATT fiber optic service with a BGW320-500 modem and DirectTV Streaming service.  The Samsung C71-KW-400 DVR boxes I received with the package to access DirecTV Streaming via Wi-Fi will not access the internet via wi-fi.  Every other device in my house (iphones, laptops, Amazon Echo, etc.) have no problem accessing the internet via wi-fi.  It's only the Samsung DVR boxes cannot access the internet via wi-fi.  If I use ethernet connection, the boxes do access internet, but I have 3 boxes and I don't have ethernet connections for all of them.  In the setup for the box, I see my wi-fi SSID.  If I select that and I enter my wi-fi password, I get the message "Can't Connect to [SSID Name]".  I have tried rebooting everything (the Gateway/modem, my third TP-Link Deco mesh network and the DVR boxes), but nothing works.  I called the ATT Tech Support line, which was worthless.  They knew even less about this setup than I do.  The first person told me to reboot everything (duh), same with the second level person.  The third level person (after they asked me to re-explain everything) said they do not support this equipment any longer.  I've had the equipment for less than 2 weeks!  

When the service was initially hooked up, the DVR boxes worked (accessed wi-fi).  But, because I had both the Gateway and the TP-Link Deco mesh network serving as routers, my understand was that I could potentially have a problem with "double NAT".  I'm not an expert on home network issues, but I was concerned this would cause a problem.  So I've tried configuring the Gateway as the router and my mesh network as Wireless Access Points, but that started the problem with the DVR boxes not accessing wi-fi.  So I tried configuring the Gateway in "pass through" mode and have my mesh network serve as router, but I still had the problem with the DVR boxes not accessing wi-fi (I can select the proper SSID and enter the password, but I get the "Can't Connect to..." message.

I've tried using the factory reset button on all the equipment to go back to where I started, but that doesn't work either.

Someone please help!  I just want to be able to watch friggin' TV on this supposedly wonderful new system I have!  Spectrum cable internet was slower, but it certainly wasn't this much trouble to watch TV!

Ludwick577

• 

842 Messages

2 m ago

I see you rebooted but did you try a factory reset? If you purchased the stream box from Directv then they support it. They have 2 year warranties.

(edited)

• 

3 Messages

1 m ago

Same problem except mine connects to the router (Orbi Cat 6 with 2 satellites) but can't see the internet. When I set this up 2 weeks ago, it worked fine. Turned it off for a week and now it's brain dead. Fortunately, I have multiple devices to utilize when troubleshooting. One of them wasn't even set up yet. I installed it and it works fine in the same location as the bad one. 

I tried swapping Orbi satellites and that didn't make any difference. Brought the device next to the Orbi router and same problem. Factory rest didn't work either.

I'll get on the phone with support in the morning, but I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy based on your experience.

Ludwick577

• 

842 Messages

1 m ago

have you tried connecting it directly to the modem without the router just to see if it connects?

• 

3 Messages

1 m ago

No, but my next move is to connect to the router with an ethernet cable. I have 3 other devices on the same wifi network that work well. Just this device is problematic. As I mentioned before, this worked previously (after initial install). Wife used it a couple of times after that, shut it down for a week or so and got the word from her today that it wasn't working. :(

• 

2 Messages

1 m ago

I finally solved my problem by just connecting all 3 Samsung units to Ethernet. Apparently the Wi-Fi on those Samsung units is garbage. We have so many different types of devices that connect easily to our Wi-Fi at greater distances than the Samsung units. Two of my Samsung boxes were not near an Ethernet connection, so I used old network extenders and connected them by Ethernet to the Samsung box. You can buy TP-Link AC Wi-Fi extenders on Amazon right now for $20 which is a relatively inexpensive workaround to the constant headaches of the Samsung boxes.  You just need to connect the Wi-Fi extender by Ethernet cable to the Samsung box. So you are essentially using the Wi-Fi extender’s Wi-Fi connection instead of the worthless Wi-Fi on the Samsung box. Any decent older Wi-Fi extender should work. 

Ludwick577

• 

842 Messages

1 m ago

Or it could be whatever wifi router you are using is garbage. I've used both ethernet and wifi on my dtv stream box and both perform flawlessly for me. 

• 

3 Messages

1 m ago

Update... as much as I didn't want to, I got into a chat with DTV Stream support. They reset my account and that resolved the issue. Essentially, it made the unit in question appear as a new device(factory default). Once I went through the setup, all was good. Just sayin'!

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.