Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

M

• 

3 Messages

Thu, Nov 18, 2021 6:37 PM

commercial breaks

the breaks are now constant and lasting longer and longer. last night, a 30 minute show had 20 min. of commercial breaks. does direct tv have any definitive answers and solutions and a time frame...pretty soon it'll be all commercial breaks and no tv. 

Accepted Solution

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

506 Messages

9 d ago

Sometimes insertion software does not work properly.  There are signals in the video stream to indicate "a commercial goes here."  Yes, interrupting content midstream like that shouldn't happen.

Ludwick577

• 

469 Messages

9 d ago

This topic has been discussed ad nauseam. 

(edited)

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

506 Messages

9 d ago

ad nauseam.

Ludwick577, I see what you did there.

MissingReno, As has been said, the content provider (i.e. the channel) determines the breaks and their durations.  While DIRECTV can put commercials into the already determined breaks, pursuant to their agreement with the content provider, they are not extending the breaks.

(edited)

• 

3 Messages

9 d ago

CNN, for example, does not interrupt their program's host mid-sentence to go to a commercial. Something else is going on here. Yesterday,while watching a 30 minute  program, we had 3 interruptions as well as the usual ads. The duration of the unscheduled 'breaks' now exceed the viewing time. It is also now across all 15 or so channels that we watch, excepting broadcast tv channels. But only DirecTV streaming seems to be affected. I was hoping to find some answers on this forum but apparently there is nothing of substance to discover. Play nicely Loosewick..."ad nauseum" is unnecessary. 

• 

3 Messages

9 d ago

Thank you, JefferMC but a question: why is this problem becoming across the board with most channels we watch now as last summer it was only an occasional interruption? And why is each 'break' times lengthening so brutally? Thanks for any help! 

Ludwick577

• 

469 Messages

9 d ago

I watch CNN around 5 or 6 hours a day and I've never had a commercial break interrupt a program in mid sentence. Those commercial break screens happen when local ad spaces are not sold on networks. Usually cable or satellite providers run commercials for their own products when local ad space is not purchased but Dtv stream doesn't fill all those spaces. This happens on youtube tv as well. This has been discussed many many times in this forum. 

(edited)

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.