Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

D

9 Messages

Friday, September 22nd, 2023 5:45 PM

My direct tv streams on Roku

I stream direct tv on my Roku streaming device I am finding though that there is a lot of lagging how can I fix this issue?

ACE - New Member

• 

5.2K Messages

10 months ago

Do you get this lagging issue when streaming other apps? When you run a speed test of your Internet connection over a device like a computer, what are the upload and download speeds you are receiving? Has this been an issue in the past, and do you experience lagging when streaming DIRECTV STREAM on other devices (such as your phone or laptop over the WiFi connection that the Roku is using)?

9 Messages

10 months ago

It is only lagging on direct tv app no idea of speeds but no issues with streaming any other apps at all

ACE - New Member

• 

5.2K Messages

10 months ago

Please post back with the upload and download speeds (can be performed over at speedtest.net). Also, try streaming directv on your phone or other device, and report back if you have any issues. Ensure that you stream over your WiFi network when doing this test.

9 Messages

10 months ago

No issues on my phone I may need to upgrade my Roku 

9 Messages

10 months ago

This is the speedtest result 

ACE - Expert

• 

5.6K Messages

10 months ago

What model of Roku? How old is the device?

9 Messages

10 months ago

4 years old or so 

ACE - Expert

• 

5.6K Messages

10 months ago

You definitely need to upgrade.

ACE - Expert

• 

1.1K Messages

10 months ago

What specific model Roku (model number, not name).  Unless it was old stock, I'd think a Roku bought 4 years ago should be fine.   That would probably be a 7th gen.  I’m fine with a 5th gen Premier - I would be concerned with a 4th gen Streaming Stick or a 5th gen Express or Express+, even though DTV still has those on the compatible devices list.  (It would be helpful if Roku didn’t constantly reuse names.)

Also, just to be clear - what are you calling “lag”?  What is the symptom.  And when you say “no issue with my phone” - is that on cell data or the same WiFi as the Roku?

9 Messages

10 months ago

Same WiFi on phone. Lag meaning that when the talking comes through it is not consistent with words even scenes change only way to catch it up is to fast forward then it plays correct for a short time and then lags again so then again I have to fast forward. This only happens when I watch direct tv streaming not prime video or max or any other channel. Thinking I need a genie for streaming maybe any thoughts ?

ACE - Expert

• 

1.1K Messages

10 months ago

Ok.  I think what the other people were calling “lag” is when the whole display pauses or displays a blue bar or a message about congestion. I haven’t seen what you are talking about (the picture and sound getting out of sync) on DirecTV Stream, but have on Hulu and some other services.   I’m not sure why this happens - while the video and sound are sent separately, the system should have mechanisms to keep them in sync and to resynchronize if needed.  

Your mention of a Genie raises a question - do you have satellite service or Stream?  (Stream doesn’t use Genies.)  In any case, a Genie doesn’t do streaming - the device that does is a Gemini.  And I can’t say if using one should have any impact on your issue. 

With respect to your Roku - can you provide the model number? To find your Roku device model number, navigate to Settings...System...About (then press Ok or right arrow button). 

9 Messages

10 months ago

Yes it was the Gemini I was thinking of thank you for that 😊

9 Messages

10 months ago

This is the system

ACE - Expert

• 

1.1K Messages

10 months ago

A 3931 is 8th generation Roku, and should be able to run DTV Stream successfully (and is on the list of compatible devices).   The only possible issue I see with regard to its hardware is that it only has 512MB of RAM, while most of the supported Roku models (including the other 8th gen models) have 1GB or more.  But several other models on the compatible list also have 512MB.

It is possible that the smaller amount of RAM impacts the ability of the app to resync (since it could impact the amount of audio and video that it can keep buffered at once), but I would hope that DTV would drop from the compatible device list devices that can’t optimally support the app. However, they have been known in the past to not always keep that list up to date and also to not test all models of supported devices, so it is certainly possible that this could lead to issues.  Unfortunately, I don’t know how to find out if this is the cause of your problem. 

If the amount of RAM really is an issue, then it would likely impact only some Roku models - I’m pretty sure all the other supported devices (including most other Roku models) have more RAM.  Though it’s not an apples to apples comparison (since different devices use memory differently), the Gemini for example has 4GB.  It’s a relatively expensive alternative (unless you buy a used/refurbished one) but it does have some other advantages for the Stream service. 

1 Message

10 months ago

When ever I change channels on my DirecTV stream app with my Roku Ultra, there is about and 9-10 second time frame where the picture isn't really sharp. After that time, the picture looks like it corrects, then looks perfect as long as I don't change channels, as soon as I do, it goes through the same process.

Download speed is around 320, upload is around  20.

Only does this on the Roku, not on apple tv, firestick and only does this on the Directv app.

It's something with the way the DIRECTV Stream app integrates with the Roku. Wish they would get this corrected.

(edited)

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.