Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

R

• 

2 Messages

Friday, October 21st, 2022 9:39 PM

Recording local stations when away from home location (Directv Stream boxes at second home)

We are at our winter (second) home and have two Stream boxes. We can view our second home local stations fine, but can not record them. I have read in the forum that we need to change the zip code, and are allowed to do it four times a year, which is not a problem. But I can not find where to change it when logged on to our account. The only zip code I see is on my credit card billing address. If I change that one, will my automatic monthly payments still go through?

Accepted Solution

bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

3.8K Messages

3 months ago

Correct. Local channels are based on your billing CC and the location of the device.

bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

3.8K Messages

3 months ago

You just can't change the zip code, it must be associated with the billing credit card on record. The home location is in a setting on the DirecTV Stream box. I am not currently at the location of my box to give exact steps.

Home setting FAQ is located here

(edited)

Tiger593

ACE - New Member

• 

742 Messages

3 months ago

To change your home location on a Directv Streaming Box, go to Settings, then to Preferences, then to Location Setting, then to where it says Set New Home Location. Once you select that you should be able to set it to your current location.  To change it back to your other home location you would go through this process again.  Just make sure you do not change your home location too many times because once you change it 4 times you are stuck with whatever home location you have until the time you signed-up for your service.

(edited)

• 

2 Messages

3 months ago

I changed the home location on the Stream box, but local stations still can not be recorded. Apparently the only way to record local stations when at our winter home is to change the credit card to a different card that has a mailing zip code that is near the physical location on the Stream box. Is that correct?

seoblander

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

3 months ago

Tying the locals to a the credit card zip is a big that needs to be fixed. I have directv streaming in my second home. The directv streaming box shows the correct locals. All other devices show incorrect locals.  The account is registered to the address of the second house. All my credit cards however have a billing address of my first home. 

bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

3.8K Messages

3 months ago

I's not a bug. Pay TV providers are restricted in only providing you locals for your Designated Market Area (DMA). This is because their broadcast can have targeted delivery and proper regulation. For locals outside your DMA, a regular over-the-air (OTA) antenna can bring in whatever is in range, no matter what side of the line it is on. Just get a CC in the second home location. Then changing your billing information.

(edited)

seoblander

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

3 months ago

This directv stream is only used in Arizona at a house I own in Arizona. When I am here it is my “DMA”. Seattle should not be set as my DMA as this system is never there. Yet it seems if my CC  has a different zip it overrides that. 

iy may not be a big, but there should be a solution for this. 

bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

3.8K Messages

3 months ago

It may be your DMA (Arizona), but if CC billing is Seattle, then you are not at your home base. What device are you using?

seoblander

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

3 months ago

I have the directv streaming box I got at an ATT store here in AZ. I can watch locals, but the only way I can record locals is using a series pass. Then it records them from a Seattle station instead. 

in the second room I have tried both a Roku and Firestick, and they only show Seattle channels. 

My phone (iOS) is the same as the directv branded streaming box. 

I was very clear at the ATT store that I needed local channel functionality where I was physically located. I was assured that I could change the address If needed ans that the CC address didn’t matter. That appears to have been incorrect. 

bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

3.8K Messages

3 months ago

The DirecTV Stream box and your iPhone have location services to determine your location. Yes, you can change the home location on the box from the settings on the box. Roku's and Fire Stick do not have location services, so by default if the device can not identify the location you will receive your home based locals.

(edited)

seoblander

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

3 months ago

Ok, that explains the behavior I’m seeing. So the only solution for this second home is to get an entirely separate credit card with this address. Ugh. 

bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

3.8K Messages

3 months ago

That is the safest way for sure and of course the cheapest since you already have devices.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.