Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

T

• 

4 Messages

Fri, Jun 17, 2022 10:18 AM

Steaming automatically changing channels

Purchased a DIRECTV stream box for

my non smart tv in the bedroom. Every morning at 5:05am it will change from whatever channel on directv stream we are watching to YouTube. Tried changing the channel at 4:45, thinking it was maybe shutting off/going to sleep or something because we haven’t changed it within a certain time frame but that didn’t help. Any suggestions? 
When it changes to YouTube, it’s just on a random music video, not a certain program or show. 

Tiger593

ACE - New Member

• 

431 Messages

3 m مضت

Do you have more than one Directv Stream Boxes?

• 

4 Messages

3 m مضت

Yes we have 1 more. Haven’t checked it though as it is in the kitchen. 

Tiger593

ACE - New Member

• 

431 Messages

3 m مضت

Could it be possible that the remote for your Kitchen box is paired with your other box also and someone else is turning it to youtube on you?  

• 

4 Messages

3 m مضت

No, everyone else is asleep and it happens at precisely 5:05am

detuch254

ACE - New Member

• 

2.1K Messages

3 m مضت

Perhaps there is a setting on your DIRECTV STREAM box that automatically changes to the YouTube app every day at 5:05am. The simplest fix would be to completely erase the YouTube app if you don't have a use for it. That way, the system is aware that YouTube app is not present so it will have no reason to switch to it. You may also try changing the YouTube app permissions in Settings.

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

43.3K Messages

3 m مضت

Very puzzling. Never heard of an issue like this. 

Is the DirecTV Stream box switching to its YouTube App? Or does your TV have its own YouTube App (Smart TV)?

Keep us posted on what you discover. 

• 

4 Messages

3 m مضت

@detuch254

I’ll try removing the app and see if that will

help. 

@litzdog911

its not a smart tv so it has to be something with the stream box. 

• 

3 Messages

3 m مضت

Ever figure this out by chance?  Happening to me too but at precisely 9:37pm. Switches to whatever app is first on the app list (in app Home Screen).  Happens on any/every box on at that time.  I don’t see any settings that are likely to cause this.  Not obvious ones anyway.  

(edited)

Ludwick577

ACE - New Member

• 

2.1K Messages

3 m مضت

Maybe the remote is malfunctioning. Have you tried changing the batteries. 

• 

3 Messages

3 m مضت

Actually, yes.  It still does it, even without batteries in the remote - tried that as well.  And any/each of my 4 boxes do it (if on) come 9:37 PM.  It’s something more central causing it.  I did call them and ask if they were by chance doing any sort of polling or server based communication with the boxes / my account come that time (I see nothing in the Ont /modem logs) ..:thinking that maybe due to something weird with the box software then causes it to switch.   They couldn’t really answer me, but did “resync” my account/boxes (basically a server side account reboot) so I will see tonight if that works.  I doubt it will, and that is not an answer even if it does but we will see if it at least stops it from happening.  

Note:  I also checked if it coincided with any IP address lease renewals and it does not so that is not the cause either (which would

mean there is a software glitch with the box anyway).  Nor is it due to any wifi or Bluetooth, related stuff going on as they are all connected via Ethernet; and I shut off any other Bluetooth connections in the house to test it.  

(edited)

Ludwick577

ACE - New Member

• 

2.1K Messages

3 m مضت

Go to google play store in your apps section and turn off auto update. See if that helps. Just reaching for solutions here. Iol

(edited)

• 

2 Messages

2 m مضت

This happens to me too. So it’s not unheard of.  I have 4 Directv stream boxes and they do change channels on their own - to whatever the last channel that was on when I turned the box off for the night.  It’s frustrating to say the least. 

Ludwick577

ACE - New Member

• 

2.1K Messages

2 m مضت

Did this issue resolve?

• 

3 Messages

2 m مضت

Have not had too much to update the post; but this reminded me :). 

After multiple resets from my end and their end didn’t work,  they swapped all my boxes where it was occurring and it’s no longer happening.  So for sure it’s something in the hardware or software in conjunction with certain conditions in the hardware. No real answer as to what those are exactly, but it is resolved…for now.  Also resolved was a weird issue that was showing up on one box where narration voice over was turned on (by itself)  and was impossible to shut off despite looking like it had been turned off. 

Basically, their hardware / software is a bit buggy - and seems some boxes just may be bad/go bad.  Hopefully they are actively looking to solve these issues vs. endless equipment swaps.  

(edited)

• 

1 Message

2 m مضت

I never thought I would find the same issue looking through this forum. Our box started doing this too - changing to Netflix. So far, we haven’t been watching any recorded shows. But one day we were like 30 minutes behind live on a show, so we lost the end of the program. Sigh. I called support and they wanted to do a factory reset first. If it continues to happen, they will swap it out for us. 

(edited)

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.