Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

CALCAL's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Wed, Jul 27, 2022 12:03 AM

Unreliable Wi-Fi Connectivity - Constant Program Interruptions

How do I cure the constant program interruptions on my Wi-Fi connected TVs?  Having to regularly press the restart button to get the signal back is irritating.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

detuch254

ACE - New Member

• 

2.1K Messages

2 m مضت

What streaming devices are you using? There really is no way to get rid of this if your WiFi connection is poor. The only fix is physically wiring each box via Ethernet or having the router closer to the streaming devices. 

However, if your internet altogether is poor, you’ll need to get a new ISP for internet, have a technician come out from your internet company to diagnose the problem, or switch providers. 

Accepted Solution

djmaxwell

• 

10 Messages

2 m مضت

If you have unused coax running through your home, you can use MoCA or DECCA adapters to distribute your network without having to run cables.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

2 m مضت

Thanks for your reply, detuch254.  To answer your question, my streaming devices are simply what comes with my DirecTV service:

1. Gatweway (bedroom closet)
  2. Reciver box for each TV

It looks like I am stuck forever with poor TV service in the areas of my home that do not have an ethernet wall outlet, such as my kitchen.  Getting such wiring done in an already built home does not seem plausible – a tough pill to swallow.

Thanks again.

detuch254

ACE - New Member

• 

2.1K Messages

2 m مضت

No problem. This is just one of the limitations of streaming. If this sounds like a future problem, you are better off with a different provider for internet and/or TV. Cable and satellite don’t use your internet connection so they won’t have this issue. Though, they are more expensive than steaming.

lou_do

ACE - New Member

• 

316 Messages

2 m مضت

If you have multiple devices at different locations, are the ones closer to your wifi router, better with less interruptions?

You should download a signal strength app like Analiti into your devices that are giving you problems. Run it to see if your signal is good or bad, for the device. 

• 

1 Message

2 m مضت

This fix is easy.  You must purchase a 3rd party router (ASUS, TP Link, etc.).  I would recommend purchasing an "AI-MESH" network (2 routers).  This will resolve your issues.

• 

8 Messages

2 m مضت

FWIW my connection was surprisingly flaky on both Osprey boxes with ethernet and 2.4g Wifi. Only when I switched to the 5ghz band on my router did my connection become reliable.

lou_do

ACE - New Member

• 

316 Messages

2 m مضت

philoT, had the same issue a few years ago, and it was the 2.4 band of my router going bad. Like you the 5.0 was OK. I found it by switching other wifi devices to 2.4 and noticed they were also cutting in and out. Had to replace the router, and been OK since. 

teetertotter

ACE - Teacher

• 

449 Messages

2 m مضت

I might suggest having the DSL gateway /router out in the open and NOT closed up.  Mine is at one end of the basement of our 1200 sq ft ranch home, with 5.0 signal.  It is good from one end of the first floor to the other end, with a strong signal to my computer and smart TV.  

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

2 m مضت

Thanks for your reply, djmaxwell.  That scenario seems to fit my situation perfectly since I used to have satellite TV service -- with coaxial cabling throughout my home.  I will try MoCA adapters to see if that system works for me, providing reliable / uninterrupted signal transmission.

Thanks again.

CAL

• 

2 Messages

9 d مضت

My internet connectivity is strong but for the past few days I keep getting the message "No Internet Connection" (even though my internet has a strong signal).  When I "Run Network Diagnostics" which takes several minutes, it continues to come back with the message that my network connection is strong with a download speed of 9.048 mbps.  Can weather extremes cause an issue with this?

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.