bblack4jc's profile

Contributor

• 

10 Messages

Sunday, April 3rd, 2022 3:00 AM

Why is Directv taking away my channels

Preface: I know that this is a customer forum. However, I am fairly certain that Directv/AT&T check the forums to see what their customers are having issues with.

My question is:

Why are you taking channels away just because they are going from standard definition to high definition? I am still paying the same amount but losing channels. Why should I have to upgrade and pay extra just to watch the same channel?

I already pay a lot and am on the verge of switching to another carrier even though I am a long time customer. I am sure that there are many others out there who feel the same way.

Accepted Solution

ACE - New Member

• 

5.1K Messages

2 years ago

@bblack4jc 

Call DIRECTV (number in my greeting below) and ask for the SD TO HD SWAP of your two receivers. If you’d like to get more than ONE DVR or you simply prefer standalone receivers over Genie clients, ask to be swapped for an HR54 and HR24 or H25. (HR24 is HDDVR and H25 is standalone HD receiver.)

Now, of course, if you only plan on two receivers, a Genie client and HR54 work fine. However, if you intend on expanding in the future or simply recording more, go with an HR24 HDDVR (they are low on stock so one ISNT guaranteed.)

There is NO charge or contract extension to swap SD equipment for HD. It is mandatory that your D12s be swapped for HD equipment because they are being phased out as we speak. They can only receive MPEG2/SD feeds which haven’t been used in years on your average provider.

Whether you prefer it or not, you will eventually have to upgrade those D12s. There is no charge or ‘catch’ to the entire thing, just swap and DONE. 

Now, if you happen to still have the old 18 inch dish or 18x20 on your roof (SD-only dish), it too will need to be swapped for a DIRECTV SLIMLINE HD SWM dish. Both the dish itself and POLE need to be replaced. That means new holes, and a new location. Why? This is because the older dishes only had 1.66” poles while your modern DIRECTV HD dish uses 2” poles.

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

2 years ago

DirecTV announced years ago that starting in 2019 they would be shutting down the MPEG-2/SD-only feeds. Not only have those old SD TVs not been made in over a decade, but satellites for MPEG-2 were reaching end of life. DirecTV cannot continue to support outdated technology.

The MPEG-4 feeds do carry SD versions of the HD channels (for those that have them anyway). However, it would be expected eventually that the SD versions would go away at some point.

Just like cassettes, floppy disks, and leaded (formally called "regular") gas, technology and their products move forward. That happens regardless of those who stay stuck in the past.

With that being said, there has been a MPEG swap for customers with outdated equipment. As the swap is required to continue using the service, as opposed to a normal upgrade, the HD service is credited (assuming you don't already have it from a mix of SD and HD equipment of course).

Have you already updated your equipment? If not, what are the models of every box you have? Best to get guidance before making the request.

(edited)

Tutor

• 

56 Messages

2 years ago

bblack:

You are not the only customer with complaints about your favorite channels being removed. There are other threads with many more customers that are dropping their long-time DTV and Uverse service because OANN is being dropped for politics.

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

2 years ago

@semockru 

This thread has nothing to do with the OANN situation. This is about the MPEG-2 feeds being replaced by MPEG-4, which is going from SD-only to HD.

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

what is the Plan for the 8 million RV'ers and 3-4 Million maritime customers losing Locals in SD? All domes only have a KU LNB so when DTV takes off Locals in Sd (San Diego) customers are (Edited per community guidelines). 

Rumor was that the 101 Satellite would be converted to a HD KU feed with limited proframming. Any Updates yet or clarity?

Bill

(edited)

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Hello forum Members--

Can't get an answer from DTV or winegard (Dome Manfafture for RV's).

DTV just took down SD Locals for the san diego Market with no warning.

There is 8 Million+ RV'er customers with domes ans another 3-4 Million maritime customers. All of thier dome equipment has a KU LNB that tracs the 101 satellite. 

When DTV takes off the SD Loal channel feed and plans on taking down all SD Channels off the 101 satellite what is going to happen?

Rumor control has it that when all SD channels are removed from the 101 Satellite DTV has plans on Making the 101 a dedicated RV/Maritime HD KU Band Satellite with limited packaging avilable--

Any one heard anything else?

Bill

ACE - New Member

• 

5.1K Messages

2 years ago

Yes, Bill. There are currently four HD channels from the 101 location. CNN, HGTV, FNC, and MSNBC

But, that’s all we know as we are customers just like you and we don’t work for DIRECTV.

I highly doubt there are 8 million RV’ers all using DIRECTV. Heck, DIRECTV has about 14 million altogether so it seems a stretch to come to that conclusion. Where are you getting this data from?

ACE - Sage

• 

45.6K Messages

2 years ago

@BBjoyce2 

The plan is actually quite simple. For home accounts DirecTV will swap out the old SD-only equipment for HD equipment for free.  For folks with RVs they'll need to upgrade their satellite dish to a Winegard Trav'ler or DirecTV Slimline/tripod setup. Yes, that'll cost them some money. But there honestly aren't very many RV-only DirecTV accounts anymore. Dish Network is much more RV-friendly. 

Contributor

• 

10 Messages

2 years ago

To: Juniper

Have you already updated your equipment? No because I do not want to have to pay to do so.

If not, what are the models of every box you have? The model of both boxes are the same: D12-100

Contributor

• 

10 Messages

2 years ago

to:

litzdog911

Where can I go to get the free updated equipment?

Contributor

• 

10 Messages

2 years ago

to: detuch254

First, thank you for your response. You said, "If you’d like to get more than ONE DVR or you simply prefer standalone receivers over Genie clients..." I have no clue what you mean by that. I have 2 of the model D12-100 boxes.

Also, you mentioned, "if you happen to still have the old 18 inch dish or 18x20 on your roof (SD-only dish), it too will need to be swapped for a DIRECTV SLIMLINE HD SWM dish. Both the dish itself and POLE need to be replaced. That means new holes, and a new location." How can I tell what type I have? Will I be charged extra to switch them out?

I am also wondering why DirecTV did not advise me of this. 

ACE - Sage

• 

45.6K Messages

2 years ago

@bblack4jc 

1. He's just pointing out that your current D12 Receivers could be replaced with a DVR (Digital Video Recorder). Ask DirecTV when you call about the swap. They generally don't provide just Receivers anymore.

2. If your current dish is round, it's old. If your only equipment are the D12s, and they were installed many years ago, then most likely you don't have the required HiDef-capable dish. DirecTV will replace your old with a new dish for FREE as part of the swap. 

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

2 years ago

To: Juniper

Have you already updated your equipment? No because I do not want to have to pay to do so.

If not, what are the models of every box you have? The model of both boxes are the same: D12-100

DirecTV is shutting down their outdated MPEG-2/SD-only feeds.

Because it is required to continue using the service, a MPEG swap is no cost on the order (boxes, install).

Ideally you would get H24 or H25 (depending on stock) as a straight swap.

HD service is an ongoing monthly credit because of the requirement (unknown for how long).

You most likely have the old round dish that is MPEG-2/SD-only. Expect a new dish to be installed. This is covered by the swap.

Because of moving away from traditional receiver setups, a Genie and Mini Genie Client might be the only swap option anymore. If so, yes you would have $10 DVR and $3 Whole Home DVR. This would be the consequence of waiting so long to finally do the swap.

Do NOT say "upgrade" or HD service would not be credited and you get a 24 month service agreement.

If you do not change out equipment, expect your boxes to become bricks in the forseable future. The D12 is the last MPEG-2 receiver DirecTV made. They cannot support outdated technology forever.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.