Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

F

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, November 26th, 2022 4:12 AM

Early termination fee

I canceled my tv oct 24th then was billed for early termination fee of 360 dollars. I had a contract in 2018 then did a promotion in feb 21 for a year. In may 2022 we had a bad lightning storm that took main receiver tower out, called to get it replaced through directtv insurance. They fixed it no problem since I paid for protection plan. Now i been on phone with 8 different people all telling I need to connect this group or this division. Now im being told I need to talk to the insurance side of directtv because I was in a contract that I didnt know about when I canceled and shouldnt have been in because I didnt upgraded anything. Can anyone help.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.6K Messages

2 months ago

A warranty replacement (like for like) should not come with a new agreement (regardless of protection plan or not). An upgrade however (different line of equipment) would come with an agreement.

What are models of the replacement and the prior box? Besides that did you replace any other boxes or add any TVs in the last couple of years?

• 

3 Messages

2 months ago

No adding, I removed boxes that I was being charged for from old house. The box that was replaced was a HS17-100 which is the genie 2 tower. They swapped it for the damaged one 

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.6K Messages

2 months ago

Genie-2 replaced with Genie-2, then should not have come with an agreement. Likely replacement was activated as an upgrade in error, assuming there wasn't a 24 month discount added earlier this year (as some come 12/24 month specials come with an agreement for the same time).

Call DirecTV and when you get the voice system say "cancel" which should route you directly to the department you need. Have them verify what the agreement was for. If as expected that replacement was marked an upgrade then the agent will need to submit a waiver request on the ECF as agreement was invalid. Hope it resolves in the end.

• 

3 Messages

2 months ago

Juniper thank you I'll try that. 

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.6K Messages

2 months ago

Should be rather straightforward on a warranty vs upgrade error. If agent cannot/willnot submit it, request a supervisor. Hope you get this all resolved over the phone. Last resort is a BBB complaint. Good luck.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.