Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

G

Friday, February 12th, 2021 12:38 PM

Direct TV Receiver burning up HDMI ports on TV

Has anyone encountered the Direct TV Genie HD DVR receiver burning up HDMI ports on you TV?  I have been trying to isolate what has been causing my TV to burn up ports, after a year of troubleshooting and 3 TVs, I have finally isolated it to the Direct TV Genie HD DVR Receiver.  

ACE - Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

3 years ago

Put your TV & equipment behind one of these--

Line Interactive UPS System, 1500VA 810W, 120V, LCD Display, Tower | Tripp Lite

If this was a common issue --it would have been addressed years ago --you have other issue's affecting your equipment.

And your issue will disappear 

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

3 years ago

It's not the receiver that's causing the problem.  You have a grounding issue that's causing current flow alon g the HDMI cable because it's the shortest path to ground. You need an electrician to come and have a look at your electrical system

3 years ago

I have all of the equipment on a 1500W UPS with surge protection.  The main circuit from the circuit breaker box to the TV, Receive and all other equipment hooked up is has build in surge protection.  In fact, all the equipment is going through a total of 3 different surge protection devices.  The house ground and the ground to the dish are good.  I have replaced the HDMI cable with a 6' Monster HDMI cable.  

ACE - Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

3 years ago

Move your Plugs -to the Battery Side --ONCE Surge is defeated (as May be) in your case --it Never works again --They way you are setup NOW --if you AC power to your home is lost or Blinks out for a short time--Your EQUUIPMENT is NOT held up by the UPS SYSTEM and GOES DARK.  -On the battery side -that Stops all AC -Issue's from the "Street"

(edited)

3 years ago

Should I take the input from the Dish through the UPS Cable inputs.  According to the UPS manual, the UPS will not pass the voltage needed for the LNB.  

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

3 years ago

None the less, it's an electrical problem. Nothing to do with the receivers. 

ACE - Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

3 years ago

NO- That is NOT your Issue --Move your ac plugs -to the BATTERY Side of the UPS ---Problem solved

Thank you for the Picture --It displays the REAL problem --Move the Equipment plugs .

As a quick test --(BEFORE) removing your AC plugs --Unplug the UPS and your TV should go dark. --Then Move the AC plugs --to the Battery Side --and then plug your UPS in and -Move your equipment to the Battery side --Turn on your TV --then unplug the ups and watch you TV stay ON --You are protected from AC germs 

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

3 years ago

goldw1800 is correct that you should never pass the signal from the dish through the surge protector. Many of them ( and it seems yours is one of that class) can interfere with the signal. Your receiver AND YOUR POWER INSERTER if you have one should be on the battery outputs of the UPS. That means a power glitch won't cause your receiver to reboot. They will also be power surge protected automatically because they are on the battery side.

3 years ago

Thanks for all of your advice, but this does not explain why this one receive out of 3 in the house is the only one that has this problem,  This is the only receiver and TV I have on the UPS with dual Surge protectors.  All of the others only have one power strip or the Leviton wall outlet surge protection.  Out of the many devices in the house, I am only having issues with what ever TV is connected to this particular receiver.    I have moved the received to a different room and the problem seems to move with the receiver.    Luckily each TV has more than one HDMI port and it only burns out the one connected to the receiver.  

I will move the power to the battery side, but the the UPS main purpose is to keep the Direct TV Fiber up, not the TVs.  I am on my last, out of 4, HDMI port on this TV.  

Luckily, it only takes a week or so for the it to burn out.  Seem to happen more, the more we use that specific receiver.  

ACE - Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

3 years ago

If that is the case --Why NOT have the UNIT replaced --as it may have been damaged long before --Once a Surge has happened once --That is all the Surge unit will support and the user Will never know when that happened.  ONCE & DONE 

3 years ago

Thanks, I will keep working with AT&T support to see if they will send me a new receiver.  I was hoping for something a little more conclusive to give to them.  They are making me go through several troubleshooting steps again and have a technician come out before they will send out a new receiver.  

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

3 years ago

You might have had one event that damaged something in the receiver, it's difficult to know. If you continue to have problems get the receiver replaced. Tell the CSR it now won't power up at all.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.