Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums

ALERT: If you're impacted by the recent storms in the Houston area, please remember you can access important programming using the DIRECTV app.

DIRECTVhelp's profile
Community Support

Community Support

• 

20.6K Messages

Thursday, August 24th, 2023 3:43 PM

DIRECTV Gemini Devices

What is the Gemini?

Gemini allows access to the DIRECTV app and thousands of 3rd party streaming apps combined all in one place! No more switching inputs.

What is the Gemini Air?

Tiny device, same Big time entertainment!

Both the Gemini and the Gemini Air have the same interface.

The Gemini Air provides an easier installation setup and only connects to the internet wirelessly.

Eligibility

Via Satellite, available with Genie (HR44/HR54) or Genie 2 (HS17) and a broadband connection.

Gemini Air

Gemini

New Customers

N

Y

Existing Customer

N

Y

DIRECTV (via Internet) and STREAM

Gemini Air

Certified Restored Gemini (subject to availability)

DIRECTV (via Internet) with Annual Contract

Y

Y

DIRECTV STREAM No Annual Contract

Y

Y

DIRECTV STREAM - No Contract (BYOD)

N

N

New customers

To order DIRECTV via Internet or Satellite, call 877-871-2401 or order online at DIRECTV.com.

Existing customers

DIRECTV via Internet, to order Gemini Air please sign into your account on DIRECTV.com.

DIRECTV via Satellite, to order Gemini please contact 833-595-1416.

With Gemini Air you can choose to submit full payment immediately or existing eligible customers can select financing.

Certified Restored Gemini must pay in full, no installment plans.

Disclaimer:

Google login required. Google and Google Play are trademarks of Google, LLC.

Requires separate subscription/login, for example Netflix, YouTube, Pandora, etc.

Still need help? Ask a question! Our 1.4 million members typically respond within 1 hour.

*I am a DIRECTV authorized representative, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent DIRECTV's position, strategies or opinions.

• 

30 Messages

11 months ago

Hi, I am through my second Gemini and second Genie 2 tower. Tried wireless and currently connected with a DECA. Two technicians have been here and the problem still persist. The GEMINI box randomly DISCONNECTS from the Genie 2 or REBOOTS....and is extremely frustrating. I even had to pay $60 (half off the wired Gemini) to essentially have the same issue. Honestly, I am not sure that this box is ready for prime time and not sure who approved that. I have been Directv customer for over 15 years and this is simply unacceptable.

• 

505 Messages

11 months ago

My installation of the Geni 2 and Gemini and a Genie mini was likewise flawed.

I did track down a solution that fixed it and made it pretty reliable. The original installation had jitter/stutter and did have reboots.

Now I have none of those. What solved it was the management of what wifi connections were used for various pieces of equipment.

Rather than repeat all of this here, try looking at my web site where I keep notes of the issues and solutions I have found:

https://elmassian.com/index.php/electronics-aamp-gadgets/directv-tips-discoveries

no ads, no trackers and about 20 million hits for the whole site, it is safe.

Greg

• 

30 Messages

11 months ago

Yeah, my Gemini was connected to 5GHZ and the Geniew 2 to 2.4 on the same home wifi, not the one that the Genie makes and no change, still random reboots. Thank you for your help though.

• 

505 Messages

11 months ago

Sorry, I still get some reboots when it is confused, normally I lose remote control just before it goes nuts.

The issue for me was more the Genie mini, which worked much better when it had both a hardwired Ethernet to my network and the DECA back to the Genie 2.

On the Gemini, it was stuttering like crazy on DTV stuff, and it was hard to know what the issue was, but connecting the Genie 2 to 2.4 and the Gemini to 5 on the same access point finished it.

Sorry you are having trouble. When you go into the info screens (you can see both the Genie 2 and the Gemini) are all the signal quality of the wifi excellent? Mine are physically about 1.5 feet apart, which blows the theory of interference, but perhaps it's because I am using the 2 different frequency bands. The access point i about 15-18 feet away.

Greg

ACE - Expert

• 

20K Messages

11 months ago

DTV receivers are made to use the dedicated separate WiFi network that is created when using the WVB and to only to have the Genie connected to the internet.

• 

505 Messages

11 months ago

Umm.... if that was true, how does the Gemini get it's Netflix?

Perhaps your statement should be" DTV receivers are made to use the degicated separate WIFI for DTV-received information (satellite and recorded satellite).

Clearly the Genie 2 is not supplying Netflix...

Greg

• 

30 Messages

11 months ago

Made to use dedicated WIFI, that is fine, but still does not work. As long as it works I really don't care which wifi is used.

ACE - Expert

• 

20K Messages

11 months ago

Through the Genie, it provides access to the internet to all DTV receivers. 

If you need a service call the tech will set it up to use the WVB as that is the only approved method.

(edited)

• 

505 Messages

11 months ago

I hear what you are saying. My Mini was too far away, the wireless bridge was not doing well, so connecting my Mini to my home wifi, solved the issue.

I don't know if you need the wireless bridge, but when I look at the info screen on the Mini, the network connection went from poor to excellent, so it's pretty clear the Mini can "look" on several interfaces.

Working flawlessly now, so I have an approved configuration, but is really using an unapproved path to data. Hmmm...

ACE - Expert

• 

20K Messages

11 months ago

Minis can't connect to your WiFi only the Gemini can. You need to get another WVB to connect to the SWM splitter with coax to get it closer to the mini.  It is still not an approved system as the Genie is not supplying the internet.

(edited)

• 

505 Messages

11 months ago

I know you like telling me it is not an approved system.

I even put that in my post in a vain attempt to get you to stop telling me.

Of course my system works because the DECA would not reach well. The Mini performs flawlessly now. (Much better than the buggy Gemini).

Are you trying to protect people by telling me every time I post? If so will you stop if I promise to say it is not approved every time I post my configuration?

Greg

ACE - Expert

• 

20K Messages

11 months ago

DTV will not service unapproved systems.

• 

505 Messages

11 months ago

I get it. So again, what do I have to do to stop you being my shadow on this particular topic?

I'm not trying to encourage people to break the rules. If I need assistance from DTV I can handle it.

By the way, my Mini's internal WIFI and the WiFi from the attached wireless bridge are on the same WiFi channel, so I doubt I have an unapproved configuration.

Greg

(edited)

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.