Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums

ALERT: If you're impacted by the recent storms in the Houston area, please remember you can access important programming using the DIRECTV app.

TermiNader's profile

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

Sunday, October 22nd, 2023 3:52 PM

Gemini C71K-400 Operating Temperature Too Hot Causing Reboot?

I have recently installed one Gemini which is connected to my Genie 2 HR-17 using a wired connection DECA-->Ethernet.  It replaced a Genie client C61K-700.  I have two other Genie clients.  All the Genie clients have worked great.

The new Gemini box will occasionally lose satellite connection, roughly once every 1-2 hours for about 30 seconds.  The Gemini will sometimes reconnect on its own or I have to press Home to get it back online.  I haven't been pressing the red reset button.

In troubleshooting this, I noticed that the Gemini is very warm/hot.  When I look at it's internal temperature (Settings-->Info and Test-->This Device Info, it shows 154-156 degrees!  It's just on a flat, neutral surface.  I moved it so that it's barely touching anything and that seems to have helped, but I cannot be sure yet.  Now the temperature is 130-140 degrees.

In the specs I've seen, I believe that operating temperature maximum is 122 degrees.  So....are these Gemini boxes losing connection as they get too hot?  What temperature do you have on yours?

Thanks for any help!!

• 

505 Messages

9 months ago

Mine's about the same, it's not the temp, it's the software!

You could put a little fan there, but if you stress it, you can crash a Gemini.

Try playing with the 4k DTV channels, like 105... that will usually kill it after a while... it will run, then start stuttering, and then reboot...

greg

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

9 months ago

I think the temperature is causing the connection issues until I hear from a few people who have zero connection issues and their Gemini temperature is over 140 degrees can share their experiences.

From the device specifications:

Environmental Requirements
• Operating temperature: 0° C to 122° F (0° to 50° C)

For what it's worth from ChatGPT and is typical of all electronic devices: 

The maximum operating temperature for a DIRECTV Gemini C71K device, like most electronic equipment, is typically around 40°C (104°F). Operating the device at temperatures higher than this may lead to overheating and potential damage or reduced performance. It's essential to keep the device in a well-ventilated area and avoid exposing it to extreme heat, as excessive temperatures can have adverse effects on electronic devices. If the device becomes too hot, it may automatically shut down or display warnings to prevent damage from overheating.

ACE - New Member

• 

5.2K Messages

9 months ago

I recall Genie clients, especially Wireless ones like the C61W, easily reaching temperatures of 140 degrees Farenheit and still functioning fine.

If you are experiencing reboots or issues with your Gemini, it could be an issue with your specific Gemini, or a more widespread issue with firmware.

ACE - Teacher

• 

652 Messages

9 months ago

Our HR44-700, which is in the cooler basement, the Genie/Receiver stays 122-124F during Spring, Summer, Fall, in So. WI.  Summer, the basement temp is 72F and Jan and Feb, about 68F.  Colder winter basement temps, the Genie can get as low as 114F, 68F.  

The Genie is sitting on top of the Denon AVR, also giving off heat.  The combo unit is in an open air environment with the bottom shelf an open air grid.  

Yes, I have read that some have used a cooling fan.  As mentioned too, keep the receiver in open air as possible, and not in an enclosure of any type. 

• 

505 Messages

9 months ago

i used to have my DTV DVR on top of my Denon, and both warm, so bought one of those usb-powered laptop coolers and put it between them (they are thin and flat..

my cabinet has a permanent muffin fan exhausting it.

By the way, for what it's worth, CHAT GPT is worthless here... we don't even know where the temp is measured, could be the on-chip temp from the CPU, or some other area. Normal CPU's in a fanless environment are designed to run hot. I have not looked at this processor specifics, but it's most likely an ARM.

Many ARMs are tested at a core temp max of 120C, that is 248 F.

Most modern designs are also designed to throttle CPU speed if the system is overheating.

So without knowing where the temp is being measured, and what the design spec is, it's merely speculation.

My 12 core PC normally runs at cpu core temp around 70C or so, that's 158F, and the temp warning goes off at 90C I think.

I'd seek some concrete data.

ACE - Expert

• 

20K Messages

9 months ago

Newer DTV receivers do have a fan that runs only when the temp gets to high.

• 

505 Messages

9 months ago

The Genie 2 has one in the base, but I don't think the Gemini has one, but I have not seen an opened unit, but I don't see vents that would support a fan.

Greg

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.