Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums

ALERT: If you're impacted by the recent storms in the Houston area, please remember you can access important programming using the DIRECTV app.

retiredincolorado's profile

Tutor

• 

20 Messages

Saturday, January 21st, 2023 3:03 AM

Gemini remote

Installed a Gemini with HS-17 and Hisense android tv.  Gemini remote will not match all actions with tv correctly after programming with Hisense tv setting.  Anyone else have this issue with Hisense (or other brand) tv?

ACE - New Member

• 

5.2K Messages

2 years ago

Interesting. What exactly isn’t ‘working correctly?’ Have you tried a different code or otherwise TV brand? Sometimes, there are weird specifications for the remote.

I personally don’t own a Hisense TV (or the Gemini as a matter of fact) so I couldn’t give you a specific answer.

ACE - Expert

• 

20K Messages

2 years ago

DTV remotes are only made to turn on/off the DTV receiver and control the other functions of the DTV receiver and the on/off of the TV and control the volume of the TV or soundbar.

(edited)

Tutor

• 

20 Messages

2 years ago

Regarding the incorrect or missing functionality:  After programming remote with Standard Hisense TV setting, 2 main issues.  Selecting the Input brings up the input choices, but will not let you select the chosen one, and then you can't get the Input screen to exit.  Have to use the Hisense remote to get it to exit.  Selecting volume up works, but volume down brings up the Hisense Picture Mode screen with nothing that will navigate that screen or make it go away.  Again, using the Hisense Remote is the only way to exit that screen.  

With the programming choice set  to manual, which allows you to input the model number of your tv there are different issues.  The input button does nothing.  The volume down works and doesn't bring up the Picture Mode Screen.  However, the off button turns off the Gemini box, but the tv reverts to the home screen of the Hisense TV.  Have to use the Hisense Remote to turn the tv off.

DTV support for the Gemini stepped through these issues and determined (guessed?) that the remote is defective and are sending a replacement.  

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

DTV support for the Gemini stepped through these issues and determined (guessed?) that the remote is defective and are sending a replacement.  > Only if customer insists. Sorry for the experience .But directv remotes are guaranteed to work with dtv functionalities.if it didn't  work on the tv, either the customer not doing it right or device compatibility issues.

Tutor

• 

20 Messages

2 years ago

> Only if customer insists. 

After 10 minutes of what I felt was "upselling" the 8.99/mo equipment coverage (first month free, cancel anytime) to cover the cost of the remote, I strongly insisted that their determination that it was defective meant that they needed to replace it.  They finally agreed to send a new one without me signing up for coverage.  I personally think there is a compatibility issue between the remote and my model of Hisense TV.  I've tried using several different other model #s of Hisense TVs to program the remote, with resulting wrong or no functionality (varies with model). I could be doing something wrong; but most of the troubleshooting was at the direction of the DTV Gemini techs.  If new remote doesn't resolve, I will return the Gemini.  Doesn't offer much upgrade other than allowing me to use only one remote, which so far, hasn't worked.

ACE - Expert

• 

20K Messages

2 years ago

Remotes are an owned accessory so only come with a 90 day warranty and are cheaper online.

Tutor

• 

20 Messages

2 years ago

Yeah.  This is an odd situation.  Never had a compatibility issue, nor had to replace a remote.

Tutor

• 

20 Messages

2 years ago

The new remote they sent produced the same behavior (as I expected.) Appears to be an incompatibility with my Hisense TV, so I cancelled the Gemini trial. They reinitialized my mini Genie, and I will be sending back the Gemini tomorrow. Was hoping to be able to run my system with one remote; but alas, I guess it isn't ready for prime time.

5 Messages

9 months ago

Exact same issue for me! I’ll just ask for my old genie back…

5 Messages

9 months ago

Exact same scenario. Guess I just want my old genie back…

• 

505 Messages

9 months ago

I got a universal remote, I can configure it my way, and learn anything not in the database.

There are not enough buttons nor programmability on the remote that comes with the Gemini

5 Messages

9 months ago

gregeusa - You had this Hisense problem? Recommend best remote?

Tutor

• 

20 Messages

9 months ago

Brand of universal you used?

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

9 months ago

First, Hisense is not a "real" manufacturer. Their TVs are manufactured by a number of different companies so you need try some others. Second, the Gemini remote (and all directv remotes) are NOT "universal".  You would need a programmable remote that "learns" from the TV remote (I assume gregeusa has one of these) I have a pronto pro which will control anything but they don't make them any more.

5 Messages

9 months ago

Understood, Tex, but my "real" question boils down to "Can I use a universal and separately program from one remote, then program just the volume button off another remote, since that's the only button that screws up...

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.