Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums

The DIRECTV Community Forums website will have an upcoming maintenance window from 10/21 to 10/22. Thank you for your patience during this time.

nwh10's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Monday, August 22nd, 2011 5:20 PM

Length of cable from dish to house

A few days ago, we switched from Dish Network to DTV. The DTV installer said he couldn't put the new dish where the old one is because the run is too long - about 150'. For the best signal, he said the run should be within 100'. So I very stupidly let him put the new dish in what turns out to be an awful place. And now a little googling says that the reason they say 100' (or maybe it was 125’ is because that’s all DirecTV will pay the installer for.

I really want to move the dish. It's horribly ugly where it is. So is 150' really too far? Would there need to be some kind of gizmo installed to boost the signal?

Also, is the 12YO coax from the old dish to the house different from the new RG6 75 ohm high performance 3.0ghz digital CATV cable the installer used? Any markings on the old cable are long gone, but a cross section of the old cable looks identical to the new except the new cable has a ground wire bonded to it running the entire length.

Thanks for your help--

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

13 years ago

Hi, the key is the type of cable you are using. DIRECTV will recommend no more than 100 feet. But if you use Solid Copper cable you can do more. We have run up to 350 feet with Solid Copper and have not have any problems in image or sound quality with HD. You can get Solid Copper cable anywhere but is more expensive than regular cable.

About $78 for one thousandth foot reel

http://www.satpro.tv/rg6cablesolidcopper60braid1000ftblack.aspx

This may be more that what you need, but I just wanted to give you an example.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks for the input.

What about the bonded ground wire? The cable the installer used looks like this: http://bit.ly/pYBdXU. 

Also, I found the markings on the old cable: Commscope Network Cable 5725 RG 6 MATV. Preliminary research suggests this has a copper conductor. 

Expert

• 

32K Messages

13 years ago

is not what DTV pays for.  DTV really recommends no more than 150 ft.  however is normal for a system to work up to 200 FT easily over their recommended cable.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

13 years ago

Thank you, peds48.

Just measured. It's 205'. Hmm, thinking about whether the next phone call should be to the installer or DTV. 

Expert

• 

32K Messages

13 years ago

is it 205 from dish to house or from dish to further receiver?

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

13 years ago

It's 205' from the Dish Network dish to the house. That's where I'd like to put the DTV dish. From the house wall to the receiver is another 15'.

Mentor

• 

48 Messages

13 years ago

About the bonded ground wire, the dish does need to be bonded to the common house ground (from the electric meter...not a separate ground rod) per the NEC.  If the old cable did not have this, a new cable would need to be ran.  

Older cable oftentimes is also copper-clad steel, which does carry a greater dB loss than solid copper.  You can use a magnet against the old cable to check this.  It will stick to copper-clad steel.

205'+ is reeeeally pushing it.  It would probably work at that distance, but DirecTV insists on their installers doing what WILL work, and what the material is spec'd for.  That saves everyone a lot of trouble in the long run.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

13 years ago

Well, duh on the magnet! And it does not stick to the old cable. In theory, could a separate ground wire be run from from the dish to the house ground? That's only 100'.

Cable isn't very expensive. We'll think about running new cable on a different route. If it crosses under the gravel driveway instead of going up 8', across the porch roof, around a couple of corners and back down, we can save 20'. Maybe more if we bring it into the house in a closer but less convenient location.

I certainly understand about DTV's installation specs.

Expert

• 

32K Messages

13 years ago

Quote: Originally Posted by redneck_tech 

205'+ is reeeeally pushing it.  It would probably work at that distance, but DirecTV insists on their installers doing what WILL work, and what the material is spec'd for.  That saves everyone a lot of trouble in the long run.

I could not agree more with redneck-teck.  at those distances, RG11 cable is recommended or a MUST

Guru

• 

535 Messages

13 years ago

205' is streching it. The reason behind the "No further then 150' with HD" is voltage drop. That extended length that you are looking for will cause issues with both the power supply and the LNB. Example: Your 21 volt power supply is placed 15' from the outside bonding connection and the Satellite cable feed from the bonding connection to the dish is 100'. The voltage at the dish will read around 19 to 20 VDC. Extend that lenght to 205 you will end up with a reading around 16 to 18 VDC. That is enough to power the LNB, but not operate correctly. Using inline amps is out of the question. If there is another LOS in a more convent location for your service and you wish to relocate the dish to another location you will have to pay for the "Dish relocation fee" in order for the job to get done.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks to all of you. So how is an installation specced when 150' is impossible? 

Expert

• 

32K Messages

13 years ago

Quote: Originally Posted by nwh10 

Thanks to all of you. So how is an installation specced when 150' is impossible? 

customers provides and installs RG11 cable

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

So, if I have to go 350 feet, I won't be able to use Directv?  What about an amplifer?

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

12 years ago

This post is nearly a year old so I suggest you create your own [post. Tell us exactly what sort of equipment you are planning to use, HD or SD.  Tell us what the distances are - dish to house, house to receivers. How many receivers are you planning to use?

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

12 years ago

The farther you run your wire, the sooner you will face problems. Kind of simple logic really.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.