C

• 

6 Messages

Wednesday, January 25th, 2023 9:58 PM

remotes

What is the difference between the 3 remotes that are listed on the equipment page?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

detuch254

ACE - New Member

• 

3.3K Messages

10 days ago

That link sends you to your DIRECTV account, not a specific equipment support website.

Nevertheless, the three remotes are meant for different receiver models. If you have an older standalone receiver like an HR24 or H25, those boxes use the RC66RX remotes to deliver all the features like RF mode, control of other devices, etc.

Meanwhile, the Genie models HR44/HR54/and all other genie clients use the peanut style remotes. These are model RC73. With the RC73, this is a smaller remote in the hand which is more pleasing for users. You CANNOT pair the remote with soundbars as well as TVs at the same time. Also, the older RC66RX remotes used with standalone boxes CAN be used with these boxes, but ONLY in IR mode. Also, you

may not see as good performance with an RC66RX in comparison to an RC73 when using newer Genie equipment.

The Gemini remote is meant solely for Gemini devices. It works in both IR and RF mode and is a completely different remote. I do NOT think Gemini remotes can be used with regular DIRECTV satellite boxes (this includes both DIRECTV standalone boxes and genie receivers). The Gemini receivers are compatible with the RC73 and RC66RX remotes, but ONLY in IR mode.

Accepted Solution

detuch254

ACE - New Member

• 

3.3K Messages

10 days ago

If you don’t mind not having RF mode, as shannon02 stated, you can use both the universal remotes as well as the RF remotes made for standalone boxes like the HR24 and H25

detuch254

ACE - New Member

• 

3.3K Messages

10 days ago

can you please link to the equipment page you are referring to? I believe you mean the Gemini remote, DIRECTV peanut remotes (RC73), and the older fashion universal remotes (RC66RX) but just wanted to confirm before I gave an answer.

• 

6 Messages

10 days ago

It wouldn't let me copy and paste the link. The three that are listed are....

Genie Remote Control

Universal RF Remote Control
Universal Remote Control

• 

6 Messages

10 days ago

https://www.directv.com/accounts/satellite/equipments

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

17.4K Messages

10 days ago

Genie remote is for the HR44 Genie thru HS17Genie2 and C41 thru C61 minis to allow both IR and RF control at the same time.

The Universal RF remote is for H and HR24 and some lower model numbers to control them in either IR or RF but not both at the same time.

The Universal remote is IR only for the same model numbers and will control all DTV receivers.

• 

6 Messages

10 days ago

So, is the Universal remote better to use than the Genie remote?

detuch254

ACE - New Member

• 

3.3K Messages

10 days ago

Well what receiver model do you have? If you prefer RF mode and you are using a genie receiver I suggest you just stick with it.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

17.4K Messages

10 days ago

If you don't need RF to control a receiver that is not in line of sight of the remote then either one will work.

• 

6 Messages

10 days ago

I believe I have Genie minis

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.