Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

GarMax's profile

Tutor

Sunday, September 22nd, 2019 1:43 PM

Closed

Why am I receiving a code 771 for some channels?

I have called and talked to a technician.  He was unable to explain to me why I was receiving a code 771 for some channels and not other channels.   The station I wanted had the code 771.   I checked and there were stations I was receiving and other stations that I was not.   I do not understand why I could get some channels and could not get others.  To me it should be an all or nothing situation.  Which if this were the case I would not be writing.  Since I could get some and not others I want to know why.   If I get a signal from the one and only that I receive from satellite, then I should have all channels.  The technician DID NOT get the job done.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

45.6K Messages

5 years ago

@GarMax wrote:

I have called and talked to a technician.  He was unable to explain to me why I was receiving a code 771 for some channels and not other channels.   The station I wanted had the code 771.   I checked and there were stations I was receiving and other stations that I was not.   I do not understand why I could get some channels and could not get others.  To me it should be an all or nothing situation.  Which if this were the case I would not be writing.  Since I could get some and not others I want to know why.   If I get a signal from the one and only that I receive from satellite, then I should have all channels.  The technician DID NOT get the job done.

What DVR/Receiver model numbers do you have?

99% of these problems are caused by dish misalignment. Please post back with your signal readings for each satellite's transponders (and both tuners if applicable). You'll find these readings under "Menu" -> "Setup" -> "System Setup" -> Satellite -> "View Signal Strength". Note the "+" and "-" symbols next to the "Satellite" and "Tuner" entries where you can toggle the readings between the various satellites and both DVR tuners.

Fill in your readings for each satellite and tuner using these examples. A properly aligned dish will show 80-90s on most of the relevant transponders (although some will be low or zero):

Satellite transponders (32 total at 101º)
[Most of your standard definition channels are beamed from 101ºW]
1-8 x x x x x x x x
9-16 x x x x x x x x
17-24 x x x x x x x x
25-32 x x x x x x x x

Satellite transponders (11 total at 119º)
[Not present with Slimline 3 dish. Local SD channels for some cities, Spanish package]
17-24 NA NA NA NA NA x x x
25-32 x x x x x x x x

Satellite transponders (11 total at 99º(ca))
[National HD channels]
1-8 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA
9-16 x x x x x x x x
17-24 x x x x x x x x

Satellite transponders (14 total at 99º(cb))
[National HD channels]
1-8 x x x x x x x x
9-16 x x x x x x NA NA

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(ca))
[National HD channels]
1-8 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA
9-16 x x x x x x x x
17-24 x x x x x x x x

Satellite transponders (14 total at 103º(cb))
[National HD channels]
1-8 x x x x x x x x
9-16 x x x x x x NA NA
17-24 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

19.7K Messages

5 years ago

While the 101 is the main satellite that is used to aim the dish the 99 and 103 have to be fine tuned afterwards.

Accepted Solution

ACE - Professor

• 

2.3K Messages

5 years ago

Different channels come from different transponders and different satellites (standard definition programming vs high definition programming) 32 transponders on each satellite even and odd, so it's very possible to lose signal on some channels but not all, the channels that lost signal are either from an even transponder or an odd transponder. Signal loss from an even transponder usually indicates a cabling issue signal loss from an odd transponder indicates an lnb problem. Did you do a signal test at all?

Accepted Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

45.6K Messages

5 years ago

@GarMax wrote:

When the weather moved out I again received a signal.  I believe to follow your instructions would not answer my question now.  I am not understanding why this did not effect all channels at the time it occurred.  I was receiving some channels.  My past experience was that all channels would be lost, not a few or some.   Because of the necessity of getting the satellite dish pointed in an exact direction I am assuming the signal came from a single satellite.  If I am receiving signals from different satellites then I might understand the  771 code.  Because of the distances involved I believe the space between the signals at rain storm level still could not be far enough apart to both not be affected.

The three main satellite locations at 99, 101 and 103ºW are very far apart in the sky. The dish geometry is such that it can focus signals from those three orbital locations onto the dish LNB electronics (receiving antennas), but only if the dish is precisely aimed.  Weather, such as heavy rain/snow, can also reduce the signal levels due to absorption of those very high frequency signals. Because different channels are beamed from different satellites, it's not at all uncommon to lose only a few channels during heavy rain, or if the dish alignment is off slightly.

It's good that your weather has cleared. You didn't mention earlier that this could be weather-related. But an optimally aimed dish should rarely lose signal due to rain.  Please review my earlier post and check your signal readings. Post the results back here and we can assess whether your dish needs realignment. 

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

5 years ago

Not a very good technician then. H e should have told you that the channels come from several different satellites (see litzdog's list) and if the dish is not correctly aligned this will affect some channels and not others.

Tutor

5 years ago

Sorry but my limited understanding does not appreciate or understand the explanation.  My satellite receiver points in one single direction.  A direction that I assume is only to a single satellite.  Because of the distances involve this amounts to a single straight line regardless of the number of senders in the satellite.  Based on this , maybe flawed understanding, I do not comprehend how only a few of the signals are received and the others not.  The signal line is either broken or not.   Yes I was receiving rain at the time and there was no thunder and lightning to disrupt the signal.

ACE - Sage

• 

45.6K Messages

5 years ago

@GarMax wrote:

Sorry but my limited understanding does not appreciate or understand the explanation.  My satellite receiver points in one single direction.  A direction that I assume is only to a single satellite.  Because of the distances involve this amounts to a single straight line regardless of the number of senders in the satellite.  Based on this , maybe flawed understanding, I do not comprehend how only a few of the signals are received and the others not.  The signal line is either broken or not.   Yes I was receiving rain at the time and there was no thunder and lightning to disrupt the signal.

There are three different satellites that your dish must "see" for the proper reception of all channels. Even a very slight movement will affect those signals. 

You need to call DirecTV and request a service visit. 1 800 531 5000

Tutor

5 years ago

I am unaware that my receiver receives signals from more than one satellite.  I was under the impression that the dish must be correctly focused on a single satellite.   What is the angle spread that my receiver can receive signals from satellites?  A spread of a few degrees  could mean the satellites are hundreds of miles apart in space.

Tutor

5 years ago

When the weather moved out I again received a signal.  I believe to follow your instructions would not answer my question now.  I am not understanding why this did not effect all channels at the time it occurred.  I was receiving some channels.  My past experience was that all channels would be lost, not a few or some.   Because of the necessity of getting the satellite dish pointed in an exact direction I am assuming the signal came from a single satellite.  If I am receiving signals from different satellites then I might understand the  771 code.  Because of the distances involved I believe the space between the signals at rain storm level still could not be far enough apart to both not be affected.

Tutor

5 years ago

First thank you for your response.  Here are the readings that I just took. Right now I am receiving all channels and there is no storms in the local area.

Satellite  101

1-8       98  100  98  0   97  98  99  99

9-16     97    99  99  0   98  98  98  99

17-24   98      0  99  0   98  98  99  99

25-32   98      0  99  85 98  99  99 100

Satellite  99(ca)

1-8

9-16      91  94  92  92  91  93  91  92

17-24    91  94  90  92  89  92  89  93

Satellite 99(cb)

1-8       95  95  90  91  94  93  91  92  

9-16     92  95  89  92  95  95  NA NA

Satellite  103(ca)

1-8          0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0

9-16      95  95  91  88  92  92  89  89 

17-24    89  91  91  90  88  91  89  91

Satellite  103(s)

1-8          0    0    0     0

9-16                                           85  94

17-24    97  96  96  95    0     0  89  85

Satellite  99(s)

1-8        89     0  86  95    0    0    0  96

9-16                                             0  95

17-24    99 100  95  95  95  94    0    0

Satellite  103cb

1-8       95  95  93  93  92  95  92  92

9-16     94  95  91  92  93  95  NA NA

THis just raw data that I have taken from your directions.  I do not know what they all mean, but suspect from your comments that it is good.

Tutor

5 years ago

Just completed a signal test per instruction.  Results posted.  Thanks for your response.

ACE - Sage

• 

45.6K Messages

5 years ago

Those signal readings look good.  Hopefully it was just a weather-related problem.  But if it continues to happen during even slight rain, you should check those signal readings again. You might have a loose/corroded exterior coax cable connection, or dish LNB problem. 

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.