Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums

Connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

dnw1's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Wednesday, February 24th, 2010 4:35 AM

Wireless multi-room sharing

I have three DVR's, one hard wired, one powerline, and one wireless. The hardwired and powerline can see each other and share no problem. The wireless cannot get internet access.

Question: since I am using WEP security, wouldn't I need to input the password to enable the wireless DVR to access my home network? If so, I have a problem because I cannot locate a place to input the password. Or, will wireless sharing be available only for open (unencrypted) networks?

ACE - Sage

• 

45.9K Messages

15 years ago

What sort of Wireless LAN ethernet adapter are you using with that DVR? It's the WLAN adapter that needs your WEP password entered. You might need to do that by connecting the WLAN adapter to your computer and configuring it from there, then reconnect it to your DVR.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

15 years ago

Hi,

I current have two HR23 DVRs and one HR20 DVR. One of the HR23s is connected to the internet via an older wireless router offered by DirecTV made by Linksys that i got about a yea ago: the Linksys by Cisco Dual-Band Wireless-N Gaming Adapter (WGA600N, see http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WGA600N-Dual-Band-Wireless-N-Adapter/dp/B002LPRF0A/ref=pd_sim_e_2 on amazon)

I want to connect the other one wirelessly so i can get OnDemand service as well as trying out the beta multi room sharing service.

Instead of ordering the DirecTV kit for $80, (which is the Linksys by Cisco Dual-Band Wireless-N Gaming and Video Adapter), can I instead get the refurbished Linksys by Cisco WRT160N-RM Refurbished Wireless-N Router from amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WRT160N-RM-Refurbished-Wireless-N-Router/dp/B001VMAYAM/ref=pd_cp_e_3) which is only $35. I don't see what the difference is...I already have a wireless router (Linksys Wireless G Broadband Router with Speedbooster WRT54GSV4) that shares my home network connection.

Can i use the refurbished Linksys by Cisco WRT160N-RM Refurbished Wireless-N Router? Has anyone use the this router which costs half the price of the other Linksys router? Will it work with the multiroom and on demand services?

thanks

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

15 years ago

Wireless is not working well with MRV now and will not be supported after the beta period for MRV. Any properly set up network will work to one degree or another with other network services, the faster the better. DirecTV will not offer support for other network types.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

15 years ago

thanks for the quick response... i'll hold off on purchasing a new wireless n router and wait for the deca deal... thanks again!

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

15 years ago

I understand that "Wireless is not working well with MRV now" and that this is a beta situation, but isn't it a fact that in order for wireless to work at all, the DVR would have to be able to find the appropriate wireless network, and log into such network? I know this is the case with Apple TV, as well as my LG BD390 blu-ray player. I don't think sharing is possible without logging into my home network.

Professor

• 

4.2K Messages

15 years ago

The wireless adapter needs to be setup to connect to your network... passwords, etc. You might be able to do this through the receiver with some adapters that the receiver knows about. However, for some you have to setup the adapter by connecting it to a computer and then move it to the receiver. The On Demand and other network related forums have been around for some time and may provide more insight into what's needed to get connected.

Expert

• 

20.7K Messages

15 years ago

dnw, Yes, you are spot on, your wireless adapter must be networked with your router/computer/other DVR's. However, even with a wireless network properly configured, it still doesn't work well with MRV or the other streaming features, Directv2PC and to some extent Media Share. It isn't so much a bandwidth problem as it is the way wireless transmits signals. These streaming features require a rock solid steady stream, and wireless simply can't fill (or fit) the bill in many cases.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

15 years ago

I'm running an Apple Extreme hooked up through Ethernet going into an AT&T Wire DSL modem. I plugged the living room HR20 DVR directly into the AE by Ethernet, and ran the remaining rooms all equipped with HR20 DVR's by Ethernet connected to an Apple Express for each. I then went into the Airport utilities application, which is located in my mac utilities folder. I set the password on it, but did not have to worry about the DVR's needing a passcode because they were connected to the Apple network through the individual Apple Express. I then followed the instructions in the setup window on the Direct TV MRV. One main key of importance was to make sure the main DVR was connected to a phone line as well as the Ethernet line. This was were I kept running into problems at first, not recognizing that when I ran the connection test on the setup page, it wouldn't connect until I hooked up the phone cable. Once that connection was made, I ran a test of the system to see if all of the features in MRV worked. They worked flawless. No disrespect to the fellow who posted that a wireless system had to many flaws,I totally disagree with that assessment. My HD shows look flawless, without any dropout or jitter,the playlist works everytime. It runs absolutely seamless. What a system

Expert

• 

20.7K Messages

15 years ago

Good for you for having a reliable setup. However, as a matter of giving folks advice, there is no doubt that wireless systems in many cases have problems with MRV and the other streaming features. Also note that Directv has stated that they will not allow MRV over your wireless network but will rather require DECA in order to have the MRV feature.
Here is an excellent example of the problems many others have using wireless with MRV.
http://forums.directv.com/message/10662772#10662772

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

15 years ago

OK, I have hooked up my wireless adapter to my computer and configured it to access one of my routers, with appropriate password, etc. I still cannot access the internet. Here are my settings

IP 192.168.1.xxx (have tried 001 through 120)
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.2.1
DNS 192.168.2.1

I am running FIOS TV, which uses this set of IP addresses. I accessed my router at 192.168.2.1 and observed that my other 7 or 8 devices uses this set of IP;s, and nothing is duplicated)

The only setting I am not certain of is the DNS - I believe I have the correct setting (same as the gateway) but I am not sure.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

15 years ago

CORRECTION: I am NOT using FIOS TV, I am using FIOS internet service and DirecTV (obviously), sorry about the confusion.

(I have both FIOS TV and DirecTV in my residence.)

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

15 years ago

You are right. They don't allow a wireless network. I'm in no way here advocating that people violate the companies policies. I was curious to see if it worked, and it did. I'm sure after the beta time has expired, it will go to a more "proprietary system" with optional accessories we'll have to purchase in order to use the MRV feature.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

15 years ago

I didn't know that this was a PC troubleshooting forum, but your local IP is 192.168.1.x and everything else is 192.168.2.x.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

15 years ago

This is ridiculous... I have a technical response to the "problem with wireless" and the dern forum software won't let me post it because "it violates guidelines". I'm going through it with a fine-tooth comb trying to figure out if it thinks I'm hacking 'cause I mentioned "protocol analyzer" or using "ACK/NAK" or "buffer"...

Anyone know of someplace in this "forum" that will clue me into what the software is tripping over?

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

15 years ago

It should repeat your post at the top of the page and put the problem part in italics. It can be weird. "Loop" was not allowed at one time. Every body was using l o o p.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.