Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums

Connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

C

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, March 8th, 2023 10:02 PM

Direct TV streaming equipment

I am exploring cutting the ComCast cord d/t the $$$.   I will still need them for internet service.  If I have an AppleTV device and/or Roku, do I need the Direct TV streaming box or do I just download an app?  Do I need just one box for the whole household (4 TV's total)?  Does the box connect via an HDMI cable or WiFi like my Apple device?  Does the remote work via infrared as my equipment for my primary TV was professionally installed behind the tv wall in a closet accessed from another room, I have a universal infrared remote for my tv/cable box and my Apple TV clicker works right through the wall.

Is the change a wise move, are you folks happy with the service.  Thanks in advance for any/all of the helpful advice.

ACE - Expert

• 

21.3K Messages

2 years ago

Each TV is connected by their own device. You can use the DIRECTV STREAM branded box, a regular streaming device (Roku, Firestick, etc.) or even a 'smart' TV's built-in app option (not suggested). Most of those devices can connect to your home internet by wired Ethernet or WiFi.

For a list of compatible devices: https://www.directv.com/support/stream/article/KM1200941/ 

ACE - Expert

• 

1.2K Messages

2 years ago

Just like cable or satellite, each TV needs something to get the stream and pass it to the TV - a single device won't work.  An Apple TV or Roku definitely work when loaded with the appropriate DirecTV Stream app - you don't need to use the DTV streaming device.  However, it does have some advantages, at least for some users. 

The DTV device was customized for the service, so it works more like a cable or satellite STB does - you get a remote that allows you to directly enter channel numbers (rather than having to go through the program guide to get to a channel or surf as you do on all the other devices), there are some buttons on the remote that act as shortcuts for for actions that require more button presses and/or going through menus on other devices, the device comes up directly in the service rather than having to explicitly start an app, etc. It also has voice control.

Like all the streaming devices, it connects to the TV using HDMI and connects to your internet router via WiFi (it also can connect using Ethernet).  The remote connects to the device using Bluetooth, but uses IR to control TV or soundbar on/off and volume.  You can use a universal remote instead to control it via IR (setting the remote to DTV codes), but I don't know of any other remote that can talk to it using Bluetooth - however, some remotes (like some Logitech Harmony remotes) can talk to their hub over RF and use an IR blaster to control devices - that should work.

As far as happiness with the service - that is going to be a judgement call, depending on what you are looking for.  For basic functions I find it to work well.  The offer lots of channels, decent on-demand, generally good access to 3rd-party apps.  However, some aspects of the UI are more awkward than they should be and some of its features are lacking - how much of a problem those would be varies by the user.  The DVR is not as flexible or programmable as some, and there are limited features to manage a large recorded library.  There are no profiles.

Since there is nothing to be "permanently" installed (unlike cable or satellite), as long as you have decent internet service and a supported streaming device already, you can trial the service and see what you think.  If you want to try their streaming device, you can - there's a (slightly touchy, so be careful) 14 day trial available for that also.

• 

26 Messages

2 years ago

We also wanted to drop Xfinity and from my limited research it appears that using the DirecTV Streaming box gives you the closest user experience to that of Xfinity Cable TV.

We dropped the Xfinity TV and phone and kept the Xfinity Internet at 200Mbps.  We have 2 DirecTV Streaming boxes and while it's different from Xfinity it's very workable.

We are old people and if we can make the change I think anyone can! LOL

Good luck.

Bill

Scholar

• 

37 Messages

1 year ago

I keep wanting to try Directv streaming but it seems new complications come up everytime I read about it.  NO FEES, then you see this:  Advanced Receiver Service (ARS) fee 

ACE - Expert

• 

6K Messages

1 year ago

You are looking at the DirecTV site and not the DirecTV Stream site. There are no fees with the DirecTV Stream "bring your own device subscription".

Go here

ACE - Expert

• 

21.3K Messages

1 year ago

@timbuk2okc 

The Advance Receiver Services fee applies to DirecTV (satellite), not DIRECTV STREAM.

I really wish AT&T had not overlapped the names as still causes a lot of confusion.

Scholar

• 

37 Messages

1 year ago

That's odd, I was signing up for Directv streaming and it added the $15 month fee for that.... apparently their sign up forms are messed up.

ACE - Expert

• 

1.2K Messages

1 year ago

@Juniper - that’s sort of true but…

DirecTV is currently offering 2 different “streaming” options.  One is “DirecTV via Internet” - this is the one that shows up on the DirecTV website home page. They try to make it seem that it is effectively the same as the satellite service, just using the internet rather than a dish - but it isn’t.  The other is “Stream”, which is the streaming service that’s been offered for years - to find it in the website you need to scroll to the bottom of the home page and you’ll find “DIRECTV STREAM” in the link farm.

The 2 variants are very similar - they offer the same content packages and add-ons, run on the same devices and apps, etc.  Only “via Internet” offers availability of Osprey/Gemini devices from DirecTV (though they can be bought used on eBay by anyone) and it does have the receiver fee (per account, not per device) as well as an explicit sports fee.  Stream does not have either fee (well, it has the sports fee baked into the package prices). There are other pricing and promo differences between the two, and going forward it’s possible there will be feature differences, though I don’t think there are now (other than Gemini availability). I think Stream’s pricing is better, but “via Internet” offers a 2 year price lock, and also a substantial signup promo, so you’d have to work through the details to confirm which one’s pricing is better for you. It’s  possible that they’ll eventually stop offering Stream, but I think they’re keeping it at least for now as a backup. 

ACE - Expert

• 

21.3K Messages

1 year ago

@Jrandomuser 

Thanks. This separation of DIRECTV STREAM and DirecTV by Internet, which is still different from regular DirecTV (satellite) is a headache.

Scholar

• 

37 Messages

1 year ago

Thanks, that clarifies things... I'm only interested in Streaming, if they do away with that I'll be back to Hulu.  It's already a tough decision what with Disney Plus and ESPN Plus included with a Hulu cheaper price to begin with.  I Just don't like Hulu's guide or recording services and you can't watch on TV away from home without logging into different apps for each broadcaster.

9 Messages

19 days ago

I have a SmartTV but a dumb (pretty dated receiver) with no wifi, etc.  Will I need to purchase an updated receiver with wifi etc. to ensure maximum functionality in switching to Directv streaming?  Or, is the built-in wifi in the Directv Stream box sufficient?  Right now, our wifi connection for apps like NetFlix and YouTube is through our SmartTV which results in those apps being at times slow.  Thanks in advance!

ACE - Expert

• 

1.2K Messages

19 days ago

The Gemini Air (dongle)’s built-in WiFi is how it connects - WiFi in another device like an AV receiver is irrelevant.  So if you don’t get a good a good WiFi signal where you need to put the Gemini Air, you’ll need to improve that signal (maybe with an extender or mesh).  And if the AV receiver is good enough to get you external sound when you use apps in the TV (probably using ARC) then that should also be fine to get the sound when you are using the Gemini directly connected to an HDMI port on the TV. (You could also connect the Gemini directly to the AV receiver and then have the output from the receiver go to the TV - either should work.  Regardless, WiFi in the receiver doesn’t matter to the Gemini.)

The older Gemini devices (“box” format) support WiFi like the Air does, and also support Ethernet (wired) connections. In my opinion, if you can (easily) use a wired connection, it is always better, but with an adequate signal, WiFi connection should be fine. 

9 Messages

19 days ago

Very helpful. Thx much @Jrandomuser!

9 Messages

19 days ago

@Jrandomuser Also, I see there's Directv Stream and Directv via internet stream. I've currently got a satellite, no ethernet/hard wire connection, and wifi signal is just OK. What is the best option? I presume whatever allows me to use satellite (as I live in LA with almost no weather issues) and internet connectivity could be better?? If so, is the Gemini Air device still an option?

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.