Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums

Connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

rgerber4's profile

• 

9 Messages

Saturday, April 9th, 2022 3:49 AM

DirectTV Stream Box - keep or return?

When we signed up for DirecTV Stream, the AT&T rep who came to our house told us we were required to either buy a DirectTV box outright or pay a monthly fee for one, even though smart TV's can run Stream without it. So, we bought one. But, when we spoke to a DirecTV Stream customer service rep on the phone the next day to resolve a separate question, he told us this was NOT required by DTV Stream, nor was a box needed to use DTV Stream if we had a smart tv that could run the DTV Stream app (or a Firestick, etc.).

Since DTV Stream says we're not required to have a box, and we have a TV that runs the DTV Stream app without it... we're trying to decide whether to keep it or return it.  We have three questions:

1. Are there any advantages to using one vs. just using the app on our tv?

2. Are there any drawbacks to using one?

3. Would the DTV Stream box help strengthening a wifi signal, or would we have to get a wifi extender to do that? (Two "unsmart" TVs are running fine on Firesticks, but a smart TV that is physically closer to our router and with fewer walls in the way than the other two tvs has the image go blurry now and again, then snap back to clear, then go blurry again, etc.)

Thanks in advance for your input! 

ACE - Expert

• 

6K Messages

3 years ago

First, the only Smart TV supported is Samsung (only certain models). A list of supported devices is listed here

As for the box, its the only device that supports the use of channel numbers. The remote actually has channel numbers. Outside of that I find it comparable to any other streaming device. The choice is really just a user preference. It's expensove at $120 or I think a monthly charge of $5.

• 

9 Messages

2 years ago

This is why I dislike official advice from company reps (and AT&T is not the only company I have a problem with in this regard.) I was officially told we are not allowed to have a DTV Stream account without out buying a box (not true). Then I was told a smart Android TV can get DTV Stream without the box, which is apparently not true as well. We're about to make a large investment in a new 75" TV that supposedly can "see" DTV Stream without a box, but it's not a Samsung, so looks like we have to keep the $120 box.

Ironic that a "unsmart" LG and an "unsmart" Vizio TV see Stream with a Firestick just fine, but a smart Samsung that is closest to our router is having trouble keeping a clear image.

ACE - Expert

• 

776 Messages

2 years ago

There are actually other TVs that may work.  People tend to over look these items in that list:

The Chromecast option would mean that you'd have to do your navigation on another device (e.g. your phone) and then cast to the TV, but it works without having another box.  With the Amazon Fire TV Edition Smart TV, you could navigate natively.

That said, I never advocate for a Smart TV.  It's hard to find one that isn't anymore, but the Smart TV features should become out of date long before the rest of the TV will, so you're better off with an external "smart" device that can be easily replaced when it becomes obsolete.

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

6K Messages

2 years ago

My recommendation is to always use an external device. They are more powerful, offer better performance, and receive more updates then Smart TV devices. After all the TV manufactures are in the business of selling TV not updates.

ACE - New Member

• 

3.3K Messages

2 years ago

Keep the box. It is the best device. I've used a firestick, roku, and even the Samsung tv app and their box is the best. Do not--do not use the Samsung app it's really bad. 

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

Why pay more for a lessor service. Wouldn't YouTube tv , fubo or Hulu be better and cost less? Will work on any smart tv with no stupid box. I'm interested in a side by side comparisons. I no longer see any value in AT&T, their customer service is the worst, no questions about that.

ACE - Expert

• 

6K Messages

2 years ago

Mainly everyone comes here for regional sports and Bally Sports. The only other value is the proprietary streaming box that has the ability to use numebers for channels (for those that just can't handle the streaming remotes). Outside of those I would have to agree.

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

My wife and I got the box because some functions were not user friendly in the app…..

so we got a box and there was a big improvement…Forinstance there was a lag sometimes….And that’s fixed now…Also occasionally there was the watching a movie and mouths were moving and second later you hear the person talking…

we had thru firestick and also on a smart TV….

the box fixed all this …and no issues since ..That was about 8 months ago

Contributor

• 

37 Messages

2 years ago

The DTV stream box has a serious issue, or at least  mine does.  When ever I'd switch between channels, I'd get a 9-10 second buffer, where the picture is a little fuzzy and there is judder on any scrolling content, like a ticker  on ESPN. After about 10 seconds it clears up.

I have an apple TV, a Roku Ultra and a Fire TV Cube.  I have this issue on the Roku and the DTV proprietary box ( Ospery) bot not on the Apple TV or Fire TV Cube. 

I have 500 mbps internet that I've connected both wirelessly and via ethernet, and no matter what I try, I still get the same buffering with the two devices, but not with the other two. 

This leads me to believe it has something to do with the design, processing power, or whatever the heck you want to call it, of the Osprey and Roku. I'd love someone else who is using the ROKU or Osprey, to see if they notice this same issue. 

(edited)

ACE - New Member

• 

3.3K Messages

2 years ago

I've never seen a buffer changing channels on the Dtv Stream box. I've had the service for 10 months---use the ethernet port. 

(edited)

Contributor

• 

37 Messages

2 years ago

I've tried ethernet as well as wireless. The only time there  is  an issue is with the ROKU or Osprey box. Do me a favor, do you get 213 MLB? If so turn it on and try to catch it when the ticker is scrolling across the bottom, wait about 10 seconds and see if you can tell a difference. I noticed on ESPN as well, if there's any type of action, say a basket ball game, the picture is a bit off for about 10 seconds, you can see a little "shift" for lack of a better term, then it clears right up, 

Cox Panoramic Wifi 500 Mbps

Signal  strength to my Roku is  230 mpbs.

Have tried ethernet and wifi.

Have had the cox modem replaced.

Have tried numerous TV's as well as cabling, and nothing corrects the issue.

I have Cox 500 mbps and my current  speed to my ROKU is 230 mbps, 

ACE - Teacher

• 

682 Messages

2 years ago

It would make sense for me to have the Streaming boxes, so I can tell what channel I am on and be able to punch in channel numbers for what station I want to watch.  We have Roku on his and hers TV.

Question:  The main TV is in the basement and can use and ethernet cable from nearby modem/router.   The other TV is in first floor living room and is there Wi-Fi capability with the DTV streaming boxes?

ACE - Expert

• 

6K Messages

2 years ago

Yes. The box supports both WiFi and Ethernet. The Ethernet port is only 10/100.

ACE - New Member

• 

3.3K Messages

2 years ago

I was 213 MLB network all the time on my Osprey box and it's never blurry.

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

2 years ago

My biggest issue with the Osprey (and all Android TV I guess) is that the Apple TV+ app is not supported on it. I thought it was available, but I guess not on this device.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.