Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

gregoliver1's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Wednesday, August 5th, 2020 11:25 PM

Closed

DIRECTV STREAM Receiver - how to sideload apps

I just received my DIRECTV STREAM receiver(s) a few days ago and was (Edited per community guidelines) when Amazon Prime and a few other apps were not available.  I completely understand the marketing departments' decisions to not ley Google/Amazon/AT&T/whoever to not allow competing streaming services on each others' platforms, but as a consumer I do not subscribe to that theory.  I subscribe to a lot of services and I want one device to watch them all.

DIRECTV STREAM made it difficult, but not impossible to sideload apps.  Honestly, the only reason I found out the method is because out of frustration I went to smoke a cigarette at the right time.  Who said smoking is always bad for you :)

Anyhow, you need to go to:

Settings -> System -> Display -- disable Screensaver

Settings -> System -> Apps and Storage -> App Security -- disable Verify Apps

Go to the Play Store and download a file manager (I use Fx and eXplorer) and install it

Download the apk you want to sideload and put it on a USB stick and put it in the USB slot on the device.  After that open the file manager you installed and go to the drive and click on the apk.  This is where the smoke break came in handy.  They will all tell you that you do not have permission to install this software, but just leave that window open and take a break.  It appears to be about a 5 minute timeout (I have not clocked it), but wait a while and them press an arrow key on the remote and it will continue and ask if you want to install the software.

Enjoy!

I now have my Prime Video, Plex server and MythTV running on the box.  I am sure they will close this loop hole eventually, but it works currently.

-Greg

BTW:  I would not post this type of stuff except that they have REALLY (Edited per community guidelines) me off recently with my devices and lack of support to get it resolved.

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

I want to have Prime on my set box and I would really like to follow your instructions, but am not a tech savvy as I thought.  Can you please clarify where you are downloading the file manager?  On the DIRECTV STREAM box?

What is APK?  I download that on my computer (mac) to the USB drive and then pop the drive in the back of the DIRECTV STREAM box?

(edited)

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

The file manager is actually installable from the Play Store App - just search for it.  After that you use the app to "sideload" the apk.

It is much simpler to use ADB to install apps though - it takes a bit of learning.

ACE - Expert

• 

1.1K Messages

4 years ago

APK is an Android "package" format that apps are available in for installation.  So you would get the APK for the particular app you are interested in (from someplace), and install that onto the target device.

ADB that is mentioned is a developer tool that lets you connect an app development machine (PC) to an Android device (in this case, the DIRECTV  streamer).  It can be used to load apps onto the Android device.

There are several methods that can be used to do the sideloading, depending somewhat on what other devices and tools you have available.  Beside the one shown above in this thread, there's the method that one links to (here) - it requires another Android device - and then there is another one that that writeup links to (here) - that one requires a PC.  I'd recommend you read through all of them and if you still want to do this 😃, pick the one that you feel most comfortable with that you have the needed hardware for.

(edited)

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

Jrandomuser references a method that requires a PC further explained in the link he provides to sideload Hulu or others.  You will need to look up how to install ADB once it is downloaded and change a few developer setting to allow USB and file transfers but once you have is all setup it works.  ADB once installed runs from a command prompt.

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

nice post

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.