Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

richard276's profile

Tutor

• 

45 Messages

Friday, February 9th, 2024 10:18 PM

Moving - need to learn more about direct tv stream?

I’ve been a directv since 1997 and always by satellite dish. Live in a townhouse dev now and have dish on pole since can’t go on house and it’s inside of a 6 ft fence so it’s ok.  BUT I’m building a new house and just learned it’s pretty much the same as her - nothing on house and pole inside of fence. BUT currently no fence and can’t afford 10k for fence so satellite is out. So looking at direct tv stream - will have 1gb internet (wifi) so think going to direct tv stream is the solution, I assume that it’s not what I stream now as a satellite and use the direct tv app on iPhone and iPad. Is there a mini genie type box with a remote? Is it hardwired via Ethernet or is it only wireless? Is the channel /service programming the same? Do we need to purchase dtv and hd service like with a satellite? Can you purchase premium like hbo etc. I’ve tried to speak to customer service about this and other questions but not much success. Sorry to ask so many questions

ACE - Expert

• 

20K Messages

6 months ago

This is the DTV sat forum and there is a separate forum for DTV streaming AKA DTV via internet. If you have a patio/balcony or any other space under your exclusive control that is facing the southern sky DTV can use a sled mount.

(edited)

Tutor

• 

45 Messages

6 months ago

Ok thanks but how do I get to that forum?

ACE - Expert

• 

20K Messages

6 months ago

Go to the top of this page and select DTV Community forums then select DTV Streaming at least with the Firefox Web browser.

ACE - New Member

• 

1.4K Messages

6 months ago

Moving to the Stream part of the Forum.

ACE - New Member

• 

1.4K Messages

6 months ago

Now to answer as many of your questions as I can.  Directv has 2 different streaming services that you can choose from.  Directv via the Internet where you will be given 1 Gemini device. Or you can get Directv Stream and bring your own devices. You would use devices such as Roku, Amazon Fire Sticks, Smart TVs, etc.. The benefit you have with bringing your own device is you do not have all the fees.  If you go the via internet route and have Directv supply you with a Gemini device you have to pay fees similar to the Satellite service and a 2-year contract.  But the benefit to the via internet is you get a Gemini device. You could get the new Gemini Air or the older Gemini device. The Gemini Air only connects through Wi-Fi, If you get an original Gemini that can be hard-wired through ethernet cable.  The Gemini devices are set up just like the Satellite service and the transitions for me was pretty seamless.  There are a few channels that Directv Stream does not have that the Sateillet has but for the most part not much of a difference.  The channels are set up with the same channel numbers. Yes, you can get HBO now called Max.  If you have used the app for watching your sat service then you are familiar with the way it streams.  You would have to use a different email address than you used for your sat service as it confuses the two services and you would need to log out of any devices you were using the streaming app to re-login using your new credentials. You also will have the option of different channel packages just like with the Sat service. No need to apologize the reason this forum is here is for questions just like this.  If you have any more questions please ask away and we will help you to the best of our ability.

Tutor

• 

45 Messages

6 months ago

Thank you much this helps and hopefully I’ll get more/better assistance from them when I call next 

again thanks

ACE - New Member

• 

1.4K Messages

6 months ago

No problem I am glad that I was able to help you.  I was a Sat customer and switched over to the streaming service when I bought my home and did not want to put a dish on my roof or the side of my house.  This was the best route for me and it is cheaper in the long run as when I signed up a few years ago I was able to purchase the original Gemini devices before Directv stopped selling them.  You can still buy them but only from 3-party sellers now and most do not work as they were not properly deactivated. I hope that the person that talk with can answer all your questions.  As I said before you can always come back and ask more questions here in the Forum.  

ACE - Expert

• 

1.1K Messages

6 months ago

Note that you can get the Gemini devices (but probably not Gemini Air devices, since they are fairly new) on eBay from reputable dealers (check ratings and ensure that they take returns) - most who do don't have issues (and with dealers who offer returns, you can return for a replacement if you do).  Going that route and using Stream avoids the numerous fees and contract.

I am wondering what your issue with a dish at your new house is?  Is it an HOA restriction?  An HOA cannot prevent you from mounting a dish on your own property - that's federal law (the Telecom Act of 1996 and the FCC OTARD rule).  They can claim they can but they really can't, and if you push them by pointing out the law they should fold without argument.  They might be able to argue for a fence (for safety reasons) if you have to mount it on a freestanding pole (though I tend to doubt it), but they certainly can't keep you from having one mounted on the house itself.  Not that I would necessarily dissuade you from a streaming solution instead of satellite - each has advantages and disadvantages - I just don't like officious HOAs.

Tutor

• 

45 Messages

6 months ago

Thanks for the info - yes my Hoa specifically rejected my request for installation . But in the OTARD it says: 

Restrictions that prevent or delay installation, maintenance or use of antennas covered by the rule are prohibited. For example, in most cases, requirements to get approval before installing an antenna are prohibited.

I sent that on to them and am awaiting to hear back from them. Again thanks for the feedback. Will advise what I hear

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.