Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

G

5 Messages

Sunday, March 31st, 2024 7:34 PM

What brand of smart tv

Does the DIRECTV streaming stick work with a Vizio 4k ultra us smart tv?

5 Messages

4 months ago

I have direct streaming stick and want to know if a Vizio 4k ultra he led smart tv will be compatible with the stick

ACE - Expert

• 

20.8K Messages

4 months ago

Does your TV have a HDMI port? That is how devices connect to TVs these days.

5 Messages

4 months ago

Thank you-I thought it should but was told not all tvs accept direct tvs genie

ACE - Expert

• 

5.6K Messages

4 months ago

The best way to know for sure is to determine if you can download the app. If you can not, then you will need an external streaming device. Be aware that most Smart TV apps are very inferior using DirecTV Stream. Using an external device will always perform better than using native apps.

ACE - Expert

• 

20.8K Messages

4 months ago

@Gjc5954 

The Genie is not a streaming device at all. That is the Advance Whole Home HDDVR for DirecTV (satellite), not DIRECTV STREAM. It still connects by HDMI like everything else.

I would double check what TV service you have and what exactly you're trying to get. Plugging into the TV is one thing, but it doesn't help if the device is not for the correct service to begin with.

5 Messages

4 months ago

I thought the Gemini was the streaming stick. I think I misspelled it. It’s the Gemini.

5 Messages

4 months ago

I have the Direct Tv app and the Gemini, so i believe im good to go. You guys have been a lot of help. I know who to come to now, besides direct support. Thanks again

ACE - Expert

• 

5.6K Messages

4 months ago

The Gemini (like all other streaming devices) will work with any TV that has an HDMI port.

ACE - Expert

• 

20.8K Messages

4 months ago

The Gemini (C71KW), prior name "Osprey", is not a stick. It is a Client with two different firmware loads, one for DirecTV (satellite, so functions similar to a Mini Genie Client) and the other for DIRECTV STREAM / DirecTV by Internet. It is a box that connects by an HDMI cable to the TV, not simply a stick that plugs into the port.

And anybody who says not all TVs accept it are providing misinformation. All these devices plug by HDMI to transfer audio/video to the TV. You can even connect them to older non-HD TVs with the right plugs, though that isn't ideal.

Now if you are trying to get the limited 4K content, then that has specific requirements.

ACE - Expert

• 

1.1K Messages

4 months ago

The "Gemini" is a box format.  I don't believe DirecTV offers those any more..  The "Gemini Air" is a dongle or stick format.  They are functionally pretty much equivalent - the Air is a bit faster, but doesn't allow for a wired (Ethernet) network connection and doesn't support IR remotes, only the stock (supplied) remote.

And there were some reports several years ago that there was a compatibility issue (which would seem to have had to be an HDMI problem of some sort) between Vizio TVs and the version of the DirecTV streamer that existed at that time.  I haven't seen such reports in a long time, so I assume Vizio and/or DirecTV resolved the issue.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.