Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

L

13 Messages

Wednesday, November 15th, 2023 9:07 PM

Will THIS TV Work?

First, some foundation!

Longtime user of Uverse and older non-smart tv. Ready to switch to Directv Streaming and upgrade to OLED 4K smart tv. 

I'm having trouble getting a straight answer whether the new smart tv will actually work with Directv Streaming app and Gemini Air device. 

“Sony 65” Bravia XR A80L OLED 4K

smart Google TV, Google Assistant.”

“Supported Internet Services: Netflix, Disney Plus, Prime Video, Hulu, HBO Max, AirPlay 2, Peacock, Apple TV, Paramount Plus, Bravia Core, ESPN+
Has an Android OS.”

I called Directv Streaming customer service because I had read comments online that only certain smart tv’s (Samsung) will work.  

The CS rep said “if the tv doesn’t list Roku, it will not allow the Directv app to be downloaded/installed and it won’t recognize the Gemini Air device.”

So maybe I’m just slow but in the setup guide it even directs you to Google to download more apps after plugging into the OLD ‘dumb’ tv and Gemini will work but not on a smart tv that also has an Android OS like the Samsung?

I just want to make sure if I’m gonna drop $1,700 on a “smart” tv, it’s going to be smart enough to work with Directv Streaming. 

Any clarity on the above Sony is appreciated!!

Accepted Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

45.7K Messages

8 months ago

I'm not sure if Sony supports a native DirecTV Stream App. But even if they do, you should not use it. Native apps are notoriously problematic because TV manufacturers don't keep things up-to-date. You'll have a much better experience with a DirecTV Stream box, Roku, FireStick, Apple TV, etc. 

Accepted Solution

ACE - New Member

• 

5.2K Messages

8 months ago

The Sony TV will DEFINITELY work with the Gemini Air 100%. All the Gemini Air needs is an HDMI port, and the Sony TV has this.

The compatibility list you see is for those who want to stream without the need for an external streaming device such as the Gemini Air, Fire Stick, Roku, or Apple TV. Since you already have the Gemini Air at hand, the compatibility list means nothing.

Accepted Solution

ACE - New Member

• 

5.2K Messages

8 months ago

Correct. The Gemini Air is an external streaming device and does not rely on any internal smart TV apps to be installed. Just plug the Gemini Air into one of the available TV HDMI sources and switch to the respective input source you plugged the Gemini Air into. You should be good to go at that point.

ACE - New Member

• 

5.2K Messages

8 months ago

If you plan to purchase the Gemini Air device it will work just fine with any Samsung TV you purchase. As long as the TV has at least one 4K HDMI port you'll get the most out of the Gemini Air device.

If you do NOT get the Gemini Air device with DIRECTV via INTERNET, the streaming experience for Samsung TVs is very poor. At that point, you'd be better off getting an external streaming device like a Fire Stick, Roku, or Apple TV rather than using the 'smart' functionality of your soon-to-be Samsung OLED TV

ACE - Sage

• 

45.7K Messages

8 months ago

@detuch254 

OP is asking about a Sony OLED TV. 

At any rate, our advice is the same. They'll have a better experience with a stand-alone streaming device. 

ACE - New Member

• 

5.2K Messages

8 months ago

@litzdog911 

My apologies for the error, thanks for the catch.

13 Messages

8 months ago

Yes, Sony is the question. 

They’ve already sent the GeminiAir and remote. 

I did ask CS about adding Roku and he said that wouldn’t work. 

Looking at their Compatible Devices list, they do show ‘Google TV devices’ so I’m slow to understand if this Sony is advertised as a smart Google tv why the Gemini won’t work. 

Sorry, just old guy trying to keep up!

13 Messages

8 months ago

Well that’s helpful to know!!!

So it also looks like once Gemini is installed/setup I shouldn’t need to also have the App installed in tv for the Streaming Service to work - correct?

13 Messages

8 months ago

Excellent!!!

Thank you both for your replies and PATIENCE!!!

ACE - New Member

• 

5.2K Messages

8 months ago

Not a problem @LetterGuy 

Don't hesitate to reach back if you have any further issues or concerns upon setup of the Gemini Air. Good luck with your new Sony TV!

(edited)

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.