Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums

Connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

K

6 Messages

Wednesday, January 24th, 2024 2:05 AM

Directv stream compatibility with Toshiba TV

I have DIRECTV stream in the living room with a Samsung smart TV and it works perfectly. However, when I try to use it with my Toshiba Smart TV in the kitchen, the remote control for that tv suddenly does not work, and I cannot navigate, change channels, or do anything.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

ACE - Sage

• 

45.9K Messages

9 months ago

What streaming device are you using with your Toshiba TV?  I didn't think there was a native DirecTV Stream for Toshiba TVs. 

6 Messages

9 months ago

Using Directv Stream

and it’s a Toshiba fire TV

ACE - New Member

• 

1.2K Messages

9 months ago

I have a Toshiba Fire TV and the remote works OK, but after a while (usually a few weeks), it will start to be real slow in reacting to button pushes. I do a restart of the TV and it goes away for a while. 

6 Messages

9 months ago

The tech support guy on the phone said last night if we got DTV Stream to work consistently on a Toshiba TV, we'd be in Guinness Book of Records, acknowledging the incompatibility with Toshiba tv's.  It's a shame as I was about to cut the cord w/ Verizon Fios Cable, but not if I have  to uninstall then reinstall the DTV Stream app each time the remote freezes, which is only thing that fixes problem.

ACE - Expert

• 

26.5K Messages

9 months ago

All those native apps for Smart TV's are horrible with the service. For best results go with external streaming devices like Roku or Fire Stick. You want regret.

6 Messages

9 months ago

I always though a Fire Stick was to convert a non-smart tv into a smart tv. My Toshiba is a new smart tv already - but can't use it effectively with DTV Stream app.

Would a Fire Stick still help in this circumstance?

Thanks!

ACE - Expert

• 

26.5K Messages

9 months ago

You better believe it! Others streaming services are probably fine with the Smart TV native apps. DirecTV Stream has just never produced a solid native app.

6 Messages

9 months ago

Would you have a recommendation on which Fire Stick I need for this purpose? Just want DTV Stream to function on the Toshiba tv as it does w/o a Fire Stick on my living room Samsung.  This is what I see on Fire Sticks:

The Fire TV Stick Lite is the cheapest model at $29.99, while the regular Fire TV Stick goes for $39.99. The more expensive Fire TV Stick 4K usually costs 49.99, while the Fire TV Stick 4K Max is the most expensive model at $54.99. 

Thx!

ACE - Sage

• 

45.9K Messages

9 months ago

Any current FireStick or Roku Stick should work fine. 

6 Messages

9 months ago

I guess I'm just not understanding why a Fire Stick would help the problem of incompatibility of brand of tv (Toshiba) with streaming service (DTV Stream)?

Want to make sure this will solve the problem before I buy a Fire Stick and keep DTV Stream. Also would I need to buy a separate Fire Stick for each incompatible TV? I have another Toshiba tv downstairs -

ACE - Expert

• 

26.5K Messages

9 months ago

A streaming device is required for each TV to stream DirecTV Stream or another service. Your Smart TV may function nicely with another service.

Stay away from low end more deals. They generally are low powered and slow performers.

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

45.9K Messages

9 months ago

Your Toshiba FireTV is likely using older firmware that's not compatible with the DirecTV Stream App. A newer stand-alone streaming device should work much better. 

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.