Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

F

• 

62 Messages

Mon, Aug 1, 2022 6:07 AM

Osprey Box Changes Input Every Night at 8:30pm

Ok, this is odd on a number of levels.  For the last three nights we've been watching DVR recorded shows and at 8:30pm, it stops the playback and dumps us into the Netflix profile selection page!  

That would be a minor annoyance were it not for the fact that when it happened last night and I went back to resume the recording we had been watching that recording was gone.

Even more bizarre, on the Upcoming Recording screen a new recording was scheduled to start at 9pm.  That recording was a replay of the show we had been watching that got deleted.  I checked just to be sure that it had not changed that show from New only and it had not.  It is also not scheduled to record the replays in the coming weeks.

It is like the DVR knew it had deleted the first recording and to make up for that, it decided it had better record another copy. 

🤷‍♂️

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

43K Messages

11日前

First thing to try is resetting your C71K DirecTV Stream box using the red reset button.

Ludwick577

• 

1.9K Messages

10日前

There is another thread with a similar issue from a few weeks ago. 

https://forums.directv.com/conversations/watching-directv-stream/steaming-automatically-changing-channels/62ac55054333500318b7c4e6

About the dvr recording a show you had deleted. Was the show on a different channel? DVR records shows if they are on multiple channels. Doesn't matter if u have "new" chosen.

(edited)

• 

62 Messages

10日前

Thanks for the link to that thread.  Looks like a reset did not help in that report.

I am going to try and not be watching a recorded show at 8:30 tonight to eliminate that factor.  We have had the Osprey since April and it has not had any odd things happening until Thurs.

You mean the DVR recording that the DVR deleted?  😁 

It was on the same channel as the show we had recorded.  The show that got recorded was on live from 6pm to 9pm and we started watching the recording a little after 7pm.  The replay was aired from 9pm to 12am.  Just so weird.

• 

62 Messages

9日前

Same issue last night.  This time we were watching a show on Netflix and I got out of Netflix a few minutes before 8:30.  I opened a recording and was watching that when I got switched back to Netflix when 8:30 hit.  

The difference this time was that it did not send me to the Profile page, it sent me to the page of the show I had been watching with the option to Resume.

The bad thing is that I like to test things that have variables one at a time but since it takes 24 hrs to do another test this might take a while.  I have taken the old Android trick of clearing the cache for the Netflix app so we will see what tonight brings.

Ludwick577

• 

1.9K Messages

9日前

Someone in the other thread Dtv replaced their box and that resolved the issue

(edited)

• 

62 Messages

8日前

Yes, I saw that.  If this were more than an inconvenience/annoyance, I would probably just take that option.  But I would really love to find the reason it is doing it, if possible, know what I mean?  A character flaw, for sure.  😁

Clearing the Netflix cache did not stop it. 

Tonight, I will make sure the last app we used before 8:30 is something other than Netflix.

Ludwick577

• 

1.9K Messages

8日前

Yah but when you have exhausted all troubleshooting options and still have not found the problem----then the problem is the box. That's why it is happening. You have a defective box.

• 

62 Messages

6日前

Ok, I may have found the cause although since I can only test one time a day I need to see that it is fine for more than just one night.  But tonight was the first time it has not switched to Netflix at 8:30pm since last Thursday.

I found that this Osprey box was showing in Google Home as having something being cast to it.  We never use the cast function although we do use the Voice button on the remote to call up certain shows or to change things like captions on/off or jump ahead in a recording.

I cancelled the casting and the box did not change at 8:30.  As I said, I want to see if this holds for a least a couple more days.  My only regret is that because I do not know what action caused the cast I do not think I can recreate it for a true A/B/A type of test.

Ludwick577

• 

1.9K Messages

6日前

Did you add it to your Google home app at some point--or did it appear in there on it's own somehow?

(edited)

• 

62 Messages

5日前

Sort of both, actually.  I was adding something else shortly after we got Stream and I noticed Home picked up the signal from the Osprey so I went ahead and gave it a name and room location.

I kept trying to think of what could "schedule" an action and first thing that came to mind was the Google Assistant in the Osprey settings.  But disabling that did not make a difference.  That is when I looked "outside" the box and thought of Home.

It does make sense that the other person with this problem replaced the box and the problem disappeared.  If it truly is Google Home, then their replacement box would be identified as a different box and not subject to the same "interference" from Home.

Keeping fingers crossed for tonight.

Ludwick577

• 

1.9K Messages

5日前

Maybe it disconnected when they received the new box and have to add it again. That's probably it. Maybe b/c the serial numbers are different too

• 

62 Messages

3日前

Last night it switched again.  I had been monitoring the Home app to make sure it was not streaming to the Osprey.  But the second it switched I looked and Home was now saying it was streaming!  Grrrrr....

And to top it off, it now appears that the only way to remove the Osprey from Home is to delete the entire Home configuration and start over.  Thanks, Google, how convenient.

Tonight I am going to try renaming the Osprey to something else so Home does not see the name it is trying to stream to.

Ludwick577

• 

1.9K Messages

3日前

Why don't you just uninstall the google home app. 

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.