Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

adgorn's profile
adgorn
#1 Star!
10th stratosphere!
The 5th element!

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

Sun, Nov 21, 2021 4:35 PM

Samsung TV / DirecTV Stream issues?

Just wondering if anyone else is having issues with the DTVS app on a new Samsung TV?  After much ado and many months, it seems the problem with DVR playback not working has been fixed (reported extensively on Samsung forums.)  I'm still having regular episodes of the normal streamed content stopping/starting, screen going black for several seconds, delays, etc.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

15.6K Messages

Il y a 5 m

The Samsung "smart" TV version of the DIRECTV STREAM app has not worked well for a long time (regardless of the name changing of AT&T TV or DIRECTV NOW). There were threads about it in the old version of the forum.

As DirecTV (satellite) seems to have moved away from the RVU Client/DirecTV TV option, which were also Samsung, I wonder if they will eventually remove the app from being downloadable on the TV itself in the future for DIRECTV STREAM.

Get a dedicated streaming box (DIRECTV STREAM's, Roku, Firestick, etc.), change providers, or just live with the app in the current state. The "smart" TV app is not showing changing anytime soon and it is unknown if it will even stay.

• 

4 Messages

Il y a 5 m

Over two weeks ago I posted details that I thought might help diagnose a problem and suggest a possible solution. Since then the vast majority of posts in this thread have been some form of either "this app should work on this device" or "you shouldn't expect this app to work on this device," with varying degrees of frustration or condescension. What is clear is that this is not the place to discover a way for this app to work well on this device, nor is it the place to register dissatisfaction with the app. 

I respectfully submit that this thread can be summed up as follows: The DirecTV Stream app is glitchy on Samsung TVs. It may have worked fine in the past, but it does not now and there is no reason to expect it will in the future. The app should be considered an imperfect option for streaming directly to the tv. To avoid gaps and glitches you should expect to use a dedicated decoding device like a FireStick, a Roku, AppleTV, or a set-top box. 

I suggest that recommended devices be listed in a post for the benefit of future frustrated users searching for answers. We've all got other topics over which to educate/bludgeon each other.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

15.6K Messages

Il y a 5 m

Many of us agree it is frustrating that the Samsung "smart" TV app for DIRECTV STRAM doesn't work as well as one would expect. Per the track record of Samsung TV specific options with DIRECTV STREAM, or even DirecTV (satellite) and the short lived RVU Client (DirecTV Ready TV), it is not expected to improve any time soon. It is wondered if that specific version of the app will be removed from being an option at some point.

That is why I submit the options are continue using the app as-is, getting a dedicated streaming box (which you have a few choices on), or go with another provider all together.

This is a public community forum of other customers. We can try and help each out find solutions or provide guidance, but this not a way to report dissatisfaction or technical issues to the company as is not official support. If you call customer support, anything noted should be searchable on their end when looking for trends. At extreme, one could submit a BBB complaint if they want this going to the corporate level, but that is more for individual account issues that have gone too far so might just be a "thank you for your feedback" kind of response compared to other situations.

Unfortunately, what we expect should happen, or want to happen, is different from what actually will happen. Expectations vs the reality seems to be a big part of the disputes in this thread. Regardless how valid any points are, sometimes the answer one wants just doesn't exist.

Ludwick577

• 

1.7K Messages

Il y a 5 m

Oh my god I can't believe people are still not over using the Samsung tv app. I tried mine 6 months ago and moved on to a Dtv stream box. Get over it already I'm tired of seeing Samsung tv posts. No one cares!!!!!

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

15.6K Messages

Il y a 5 m

@Ludwick577 

I agree that people do need to choose between the available options and understand what they truly want isn't available, but it doesn't invalidate their wanting an existing option to work more smoothly.

No one cares!!!!!

This thread is proof that many do, even if you do not. But caring or not, it does not seem likely there will be any change to the Samsung TV app in the foreseeable future.

Jrandomuser

ACE - Expert

• 

422 Messages

Il y a 5 m

I'd recommend that you stop reading them then.  Certainly people care, or they wouldn't post about it.  DirecTV (and AT&T before them) claim on their compatible device list (here) that Samsung smart TVs are a supported device type.  As long as they say that, subscribers should be able to make the reasonable assumption that the app for that device works well.  If it doesn't (and I can't run it, so I have no personal experience, but clearly reports say it doesn't) then DirecTV really has an obligation to either fix the problems so that people can reliably use it or to take it off the compatible device list.

• 

1 Message

Il y a 5 m

I've had the black screen with scrolling circle issues on my new 2021 Samsung QLED since switching to DirecTV Stream app 5 months ago. My 1 hour programs will reboot 3-5 times during each episode. I also frequently get the "oops something went wrong" message.  I have followed every instruction from DirecTV & the forums (including but not limited to reinstalling and/or uninstalling the app & performing all updates). The recent December update not only did not fix my issue, but now I do not get closed captioning/English subtitles on most of my programming even though it's turned ON. Beyond frustrating & unacceptable for a paid streaming service. As an aside, the app has a terrible interface that is not just about "getting used to it". It just plain (Edited per community guidelines)! No way I would keep this service if the hubby didn't have to watch Stars Hockey. Please listen to your customers, DTV, & fix your issues or you'll soon have a mass exodus on your hands. Too many better options out there for non-hockey watchers. 

(edited)

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

42.6K Messages

Il y a 5 m

@chicmom24 , it's unlikely that the Samsung App will ever perform as well as the DirecTV Stream App on a $30 Roku or FireStick. 

• 

170 Messages

Il y a 5 m

@litzdog911

There is no reason why all of their Apps shouldn't perform equally and to customer satisfaction...

I know if we stop paying the monthly fee they request, our service will be disabled. Instead, some subscribers pay the subscription and are treated as if they didn't exist when it come to crunch time.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

735 Messages

Il y a 5 m

That's a decision for you to make @g_mingolelli .  In a perfect world, the app/service should work perfectly on all supported platforms.  The world isn't perfect.

If someone likes the product, except for its lack of stability on the Samsung TV, perhaps it would be worth it to them to spend a little for a dedicated streaming device where hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of other customers share the same platform, rather than continuing to harp on the issues on the platform that only has tens of thousands of users and thus apparently gets less attention.

For others, having an external device is an anathema, and they'll have to find another solution that works on-the-TV.  And that's fine, too.

• 

170 Messages

Il y a 5 m

There is no perfect world @JefferMC 

However, we look forward to DirecTV getting their act together delivering their wondrous Service using their Approved Equipment List.

• 

2 Messages

Il y a 4 m

Hi,

If DIRECTV on your Samsung TV is not working, first, be sure that your TV is compatible with the ATT TV application. Compatible receivers for the ATT TV application are the DIRECTV HD DVR receiver (HR 21 and newer), the Genie (HR34, C31 and newer), and the DIRECTV HD receiver (H21 and newer).

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

15.6K Messages

Il y a 4 m

@Nancy1o 

DirecTV receivers have nothing to do with AT&T TV. This is because DirecTV is the satellite service and AT&T TV is the old name of DIRECTV STREAM which is a streaming-only service. The two are separate.

The models you list are almost the minimum requirements for Whole Home DVR. That requires at a minimum an HDDVR (HR20 and newer) and a HD non-DVR (H21 and newer). The Genie is DirecTV's Advance Whole Home HDDVR with Mini Genie Clients being an extension, so by default HR34 and newer with Clients (i.e., C31) or not require the service. Also, the R22 is compatible in the right setup.

But regardless an "ATT TV" application has nothing to do with the DirecTV boxes you mentioned. Check your information, if yours was a legitimate post.

• 

2 Messages

Il y a 4 m

@Ludwick577  Maybe stop reposting the same inane comment or just leave the thread if you just can't deal with folks expecting something to work as promised. This is a consistent and repeatable issue for DTV Stream customers paying for the service, and they have a right to expect it to work without spending additional money.

Imagine buying a car and being told if you don't want it to stop randomly on the freeway, you need to pony up some more cash.

I'm cancelling my account, as they just raised the rates as well.

bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

2.5K Messages

Il y a 4 m

Congrats! All of you deserve better but it just not going to happen. Good luck in your next adventure.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.