Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

A

• 

1 Message

Sun, Sep 12, 2021 9:01 PM

Why can't people in Apartments enjoy NFL Sunday Ticket?

I am ineligible for DirecTV, I can only get DirecTV Streaming, and want to watch out of market games. How do I do this without going to a Sports Bar? I do not want to expose myself to extra pandemic risk.   I got passed around to various support personnel, after about 3 hours I finally got to someone who said, counter to lots of other agents, that ONLY DirecTV dish subscribers can get NFL Sunday Ticket.  This is absurd and I would like to know where I can file an official complaint.

Contributor

• 

9 Messages

3 m ago

My best guess, as a construction worker is.. cabling

Typically when apartments are built they strike a deal with a provider (hotwire, att, Comcast) and buildings are wired for those services, many of which bring internet and tv with 1 cable run.

I see a lot of people in condos here mount dishes on their balcony but that's always up to the association of they allow that. 

CyberOwl

• 

32 Messages

3 m ago

Are you asking why only DirecTV dish subscribers can get NFL Sunday Ticket while DirecTV streaming subscribers cannot?

That's because of the NFL.  If you're going to file a complaint, file it with the NFL.

The other sports leagues (NBA basketball, NHL hockey, MLB baseball) also offer sports packages that allow you to watch out of market games for a price.   However, have you noticed that you can get these packages, such as NBA Courtside Pass, on either DirecTV satellite or cable? 

You can get the NBA, NHL, and MLB packages via DirecTV or by cable carriers like AT&T or Comcast because these leagues made deals with DirecTV and the cable carriers.

But the NFL does things differently.  Long story short, the DirecTV made the deal to offer NFL Sunday Ticket (NFLST) via its service with the NFL.  The NFL demanded a charge for every subscriber of DirecTV.  So if DirecTV had 1M total subscribers but only 500K of the subscribers paid for NFLST, the NFL wanted a surcharge for all 1M subscribers.

Because DirecTV's total subscriber numbers wasn't that large, they agreed.  And it helped DirecTV gain subscribers, like me.  The only reason I have DirecTV is because of NFLST.  

I think Comcast asked the NFL if they could also carry NFLST.  The NFL demanded the same thing - a charge for every customer of the cable companies.  However, because the cable companies have a lot more subscribers, the cost for the cable companies would have been much higher.  Percentage wise,  fewer of the cable subscribers would get NFLST.  It was not a good deal for cable companies because they would have had to raise cable rates on everyone.  So they passed.

I learned this from an article about the NFL and DirecTV (I should try to find that article in my bookmark).  The NFL is cut-throat about revenues and trying to squeeze as much money as possible from everyone, from their players to fans.  If you notice, they are the only league that used to black out games on local TV channels if the home game was not sold out.  The only other sports team that did that was the Chicago Blackhawks back in the 1980s, but that was not an NHL league-wide policy.

I have a feeling that DirecTV stream can't offer NFLST because the NFL would come back and demand a charge for every customer of DirecTV stream.  I doubt this restriction is because of what DirecTV wanted to do.

Fear not though, after next season, the NFLST rights might be given to others.  DirecTV has not said they would renew the contract.  Rumor is that Amazon is trying to get the (exclusive) rights for NFLST.

CyberOwl

• 

32 Messages

3 m ago

helix031, I think the OP was talking about why NFL Sunday ticket was offered on DirecTV satellite subscribers only and not about why some apartments don't allow satellite dishes on their property.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

538 Messages

3 m ago

I see a lot of people in condos here mount dishes on their balcony but that's always up to the association of they allow that. 

See the FCC's Over the Air Reception Device Rule from 1996.  The association has a high hurdle to jump to disallow antennas.

Jrandomuser

ACE - Expert

• 

264 Messages

3 m ago

@achapin9  Even if you could mount a dish on your balcony, that doesn't mean your balcony is pointing in the right direction to get the satellite.

Regardless, it isn't true that only DirecTV subscribers can get Sunday Ticket.  While that was probably DirecTV's original intent, there are a number of special cases that are eligible to get the streaming version.  Residents in (some units of?) some multi-family dwellings (apartments and condos)  are eligible.  People living in some areas of some NFL cities are eligible.  Current or recent college students are eligible.  Possibly some others. 

Did you check if you are eligible for a streaming Sunday Ticket subscription?  Fill out the form on this page - you may find you can get it.  If not, I don't know if there is any way to appeal that determination.  (Not sure who you would expect to file an "official" complaint to - this is basically between the NFL and DirecTV, and for the moment I believe both are OK with the situation.)

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

3 m ago

@achapin9 

The NFL has an exclusive agreement with DirecTV for the Sunday Ticket. So no other provider is allowed it.

There is a streaming-only option for those who may be ineligible for satellite service, but that is still through DirecTV, such as university students. But you have to meet strict requirements.

If you want to lodge a complaint, do so with the NFL.

NFL SUNDAY TICKET Online Streaming without DIRECTV | DIRECTV

DIRECTVhelp

Community Support

• 

12.2K Messages

2 m ago

Good afternoon @helix031,

Thank you for outreaching us. We are currently looking into the issue and it has been escalated! Thank you and have a wonderful day! 

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.