Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

cupcakedew's profile

Contributor

• 

11 Messages

Thu, Sep 2, 2021 9:49 PM

Downloaded Directv stream on my firestick.

Will not recognize my direct tv password and user name. Want to stream in my camp. I have satellite dish at home

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

1.3K Messages

3 m ago

There is no Directv app for a firestick or any other streaming device for satellite customers. The Directv app available to satellite customer is only for phones or tablets. As noted, Directv Stream is a totally separate service and not included with your satellite service.

Contributor

• 

11 Messages

3 m ago

I pay my bill to att but all my equipment is direct tv cause I was their customer when att bought them

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

15.3K Messages

3 m ago

DTV sat and DTV streaming are two separate services with their own subscriptions.

Contributor

• 

11 Messages

3 m ago

So I too called Direct tv they say d I could stream on my laptop ,tablet , or phone but can’t stream on my firestick unless I pay for streaming. I don’t want to give up my satellite dish but do want to stream in my RV and want to watch on my tv.  Dish anywhere let’s their customers stream dish anywhere. It’s a shame direct doesn’t allow that. They are behind the times. I pay 275.00 a month will not pay morr

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

15.3K Messages

3 m ago

You can log into your DTV account to watch the available channels on a laptop/PC or on a phone outside of your home network, the only time you can stream from the Genie is when you are on your home network.  You can also download programs to your phone/tablet to watch outside of your home network for 30 days.

(edited)

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

1.3K Messages

3 m ago

You can also use your Directv credentials on the various network apps on your firestick (ABC, NBC, CBS, TBS, TNT, etc) and stream using those apps.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

3 m ago

DirecTV is satellite service. DIRECTV STREAM is a streaming only service. The two have nothing to do with each other.

With DirecTV you pay for each authorized TV on the service. As such the DirecTV app is not available on Firestick or any other TV streaming device. You do not get a free TV on the service. The app is for viewing on a mobile device only (smart phone or tablet). You can also log into your DirecTV account on a computer for some streaming options that way.

So the app you downloaded is for DIRECTV STREAM, not DirecTV.

Contributor

• 

11 Messages

3 m ago

Thank you I do understand that now. But I am sorry if you can stream your package to a laptop, tablet or phone you should be allowed to stream to a firestick a roku or whatever since I’m already a satellite premier customer I pay 275.00 a month. If dish network can do it then direct tv should allow it. They can still separate streaming packages for those who want to give up their satellite dish I don’t want to . At that price I should be allowed to stream what I have at home at camp. Just my opinion. 

Contributor

• 

11 Messages

3 m ago

Thank you for all who commented. I am a direct tv customer by choice have always been happy with it. I am retired and camp in a valley with a lot of tree coverage. My friend has dish and streams dish anywhere for that reason. I have internet so thought  direct would allow us to do the same. The internet here is not what I have at home and the persons isn’t either but he can stream his without paying extra fees. So two different companies two different rules. I will wait and see what happens thanks for all the help on the subject. Some people use the old standard boxes non HD they are gonna be turning them off soon so they may have to switch to streaming packages. 

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

538 Messages

3 m ago

The business model by which DIRECTV pays for content to the provider is different between the DIRECTV service (pay per TV screen) and DIRECTV STREAM (pay per subscriber).   That means they cannot just give streaming access for TV  under the DIRECTV business model. 

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

538 Messages

3 m ago

Renaming AT&T TV to DIRECTV STREAM has caused some predictable name confusion, eh?  I wonder if they'll change it again?

(edited)

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

3 m ago

But I am sorry if you can stream your package to a laptop, tablet or phone you should be allowed to stream to a firestick a roku or whatever since I’m already a satellite premier customer...

The point is by DirecTV's design, you pay for each authorized TV on the service. Allowing the app on a TV streaming device would mean circumventing that. That is why it should not be allowed.

If you want to rely on streaming TV, then you get a streaming TV provider. DirecTV is not intended for that purpose.

Some individual channels have their own app that you may use.

Dish and DirecTV are both satellite TV providers so are similar. But never assume their options are going to be exactly the same.

Some people use the old standard boxes non HD they are gonna be turning them off soon so they may have to switch to streaming packages. 

Those with standard boxes do NOT have to switch to streaming packages. Where did you get that idea? Yes DirecTV is shutting down their MPEG-2/SD-only feeds. This was planned years ago. Comes down to SD TV's haven't been made in over a decade, and DirecTV grandfathered SD-only service back in late 2015 in preparation for the shutdown. They are getting rid of an outdated service.

Affected customers are being provided a complimentary swap to MPEG-4 equipment. They can choose an optional upgrade instead. Just depends on their current boxes and use on which is the best for them. So again, nothing about this requires them to switch to a streaming service as DirecTV is NOT a streaming service.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

11 Messages

3 m ago

Everything I have is high definition at home. Some people and I used to be one of them had standard boxes from the old days because they worked off of 1 satellite and would work when  couldn’t get the signal for hIgh def because there are alot trees and  they work off of more satellites. Thank you for all your info. 

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

3 m ago

If you cannot get MPEG-4 because of the trees, then switching services makes sense. I would still try the complimentary swap to see if it will work. If the tech cannot install because of no line of sight (NLOS), then you have your answer and can prepare for another provider. That would be choosing between streaming, any hard line service (cable) in the area, or just going to regular antenna.

So MPEG-4 is required to continue using service as MPEG-4/SD-only is very outdated.

Streaming service not a requirement, just an alternative option.

DirecTV is satellite, never intended for streaming to TV. So streaming providers Netflix, Hulu, the rebranded DIRECTV STREAM (from AT&T TV NOW which used to be DIRECTV NOW), etc. are some options.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

3 m ago

Oh one other thing, regardless if you get the MPEG swap or do the optional upgrade, make sure to read through the order confirmation. That way you make sure all is as expected before install is complete. That gives you time to ask follow-up questions, modify the order, or close it out if not what you wanted or simply changed your mind.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.