Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums

Connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

adrian_831's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Friday, October 28th, 2011 6:28 PM

HD channels setup on 1080p TV

I just upgraded from a 720p TV to a 1080p TV that I have hooked up HDMI to my HD receiver and Slimline 5 dish. All resolution settings have been selected and confirmed, and Native is set to "ON."

HD channels that come through 720p work fine and look great, but when a channel broadcasts in 1080i, I get a 1/4" flickering line of picture across the top of my screen. If I turn Native "OFF" and set the default resolution to 1080i, then all HD channels, including those that were fine at 720p, start to flicker at the top as well. SD channels are unaffected. Could this be a settings or connection issue?

Expert

• 

20.7K Messages

13 years ago

Does your new TV have a 120 or 240 Hz enhancement program?  If so, try turning it "off".  If that doesn't do it, try turning the 1080p resolution off (take the mark off).

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks. No, there's no switch. It is just 120Hz. I turned the 1080p resolution off and still get the problem with 1080i being the highest resolution. I  tried connecting the TV through component cables and it fixed all the problems on 1080i. 1080p was not available through this connection though and the channels still lack the crispness of the HDMI connection. Now I'm thinking it's either a bad HDMI cable(which I will set out to buy this weekend), or the TV itself is somehow trying to convert the 1080i broadcasts to 1080p and causing the glitches on the screen. Anyone think this is possible?

Guru

• 

856 Messages

13 years ago

Very unlikely it's the cable. Have you tried native "off"?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

13 years ago

joed32, yes, I already tried turning native off. Keeping the resolution at 1080i across the board causes flickering on all HD channels. You were right about the cable. I went out and bought a new Monster HDMI and still having the problem. I just had to eliminate that possibility since thae cable was pretty old. I'm running out of ideas. This is only happening on my HDMI input. I'm going to check TV manufacturer forums.

Expert

• 

20.7K Messages

13 years ago

Quote: Originally Posted by adrian_831

It is just 120Hz.

the TV itself is somehow trying to convert the 1080i broadcasts to 1080p and causing the glitches on the screen. Anyone think this is possible?

Normal TV frequency is 60 Hz. Yes, the TV does in fact convert all signals to 1080p/60 if that's it's native resolution.  If the flicker line is narrow, you may have an overscan setting needing adjustment.  The space between the frames contains data and if the display is improperly set you'll see that data as a flicker.  The "true screen" and other settings on some TV's attempt to produce a 100% full screen picture.  One set to 5% overscan will provide more stable results.

Expert

• 

32K Messages

13 years ago

can you post a pic of the problem?

Scholar

• 

123 Messages

13 years ago

Quote: Originally Posted by dcd 
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian_831

It is just 120Hz.

the TV itself is somehow trying to convert the 1080i broadcasts to 1080p and causing the glitches on the screen. Anyone think this is possible?

Normal TV frequency is 60 Hz. Yes, the TV does in fact convert all signals to 1080p/60 if that's it's native resolution.  If the flicker line is narrow, you may have an overscan setting needing adjustment.  The space between the frames contains data and if the display is improperly set you'll see that data as a flicker.  The "true screen" and other settings on some TV's attempt to produce a 100% full screen picture.  One set to 5% overscan will provide more stable results.

+1; dcd hit it on the nose.

VIZIO TVs as well as other have an H/V position adjustment. 
 Adjusting the position of the picture will eliminate the issue.

Good Luck!!

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

13 years ago

This is great insight guys, thanks! Vizio IS the brand of my TV, and now after looking on their threads, this does seem to be an issue on their sets. I will look for the adjustment and report back. Sorry that a TV issue ate up time on the DIRCTV forum.

Expert

• 

20.7K Messages

13 years ago

Sorry that a TV issue ate up time on the DIRCTV forum.

No need to be sorry, if this fixes your problem then we are all happy.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

13 years ago

Well my TV does not have the H/V adjustment but here's the solution. It's not a great one, but it seems to be the only one.  VIZIO calls this problem "noise along the border...For 720p, 1080i, 1080p only." If you experience this they say you need to change the screen display to "Zoom 1" view from "Full." Some fix. The bad part is I have to go into the settings everytime I experience this because there is no button on the remote to easily change from one to the other. Thanks to eveyone who contributed.

Expert

• 

20.7K Messages

13 years ago

change the screen display to "Zoom 1" view from "Full."

This is the very setting I was referring to in post #6. Simply set the TV to the Zoom 1 setting and leave it there, no need to switch back and forth. Many companies don't even bother to put a "full" setting on the TV for this very reason.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.