Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums

Connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

percent_icons's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, November 12th, 2011 5:54 PM

Closed

What do the Icons mean, Jack, Tomato, Tipped Trash, Trash barrel? with %??

What do the Icons mean, Jack, Tomato, Tipped Trash, Trash barrel?  with %??

These are near the title or movie name on Directtv Cinima @  directtv/cinima.com

Scholar

• 

111 Messages

13 years ago

its a ratings system....the tomatoes are critics ratings and the popcorn are viewwer ratings

ACE - Sage

• 

45.9K Messages

13 years ago

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

Its not a "jack", its a "rotten tomato" (or thrown / splatted tomato - depending on how you want to look at it) -

From Flicksters forums:

"The Tomatometer is an aggregated score based on the number of film critics who recommend the movie. A Fresh red tomato indicates a positive critic review, or a Tomatometer of at least 60% positive reviews. A Rotten green tomato denotes a negative critic review, or a Tomatometer representing fewer than 60% positive reviews.  Movies that have a Tomatometer of 75% or greater and at least 40 reviews from Tomatometer critics, including at least 5 from Top Critics, receive a special designation of Certified Fresh, which appears as a badge on the main movie page.."

The popcorn container and popcorn container on its side with spilled popcorn (the trash can looking icon) are user ratings calculated in the same manner as stated above for the tomato ratings.

Expert

• 

20.7K Messages

13 years ago

I guess the star rating system was too simple, we needed something more modernistic?

Scholar

• 

111 Messages

13 years ago

i still prefer thumbs up or down...much easier to decipher

Expert

• 

32K Messages

13 years ago

Quote: Originally Posted by wahooq 

right on.  or the old school stars

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

Originally Posted by peds48_installs 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahooq 

right on.  or the old school stars

If you'll take another look you'll see that the stars are still there. That is unless it's Chiller channel or one like it.

Expert

• 

20.7K Messages

13 years ago

I have automatic system, it's called a Wife.  It works thus: No, we aren't going to watch that or conversely, yes, click on that one.  It's often followed by "if you don't want to watch this you can go in the other room"

The sad part about this is that it's partially true.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

13 years ago

Here is what I found:

The figures next to these images represent the percentage of critics and audience members who liked the movie. A red tomato means the movie received positive reviews. A splattered green tomato means the movies has been negatively reviewed. The popcorn images are from Flixster, the full popcorn container means the audience generally liked the movie. The spilled popcorn container means audiences didn't find the movie appealing. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I agree, change just for the sake of change isn't always good. The star or just the % for critics and viewers is easily understood. When you start putting tomatoes or popcorn logo up without explanations, it confusing. This must be one of Washington's ideas. They like to complicate, simple things.......

Expert

• 

32K Messages

12 years ago

Quote: Originally Posted by mookster 

I agree, change just for the sake of change isn't always good. The star or just the % for critics and viewers is easily understood. When you start putting tomatoes or popcorn logo up without explanations, it confusing. This must be one of Washington's ideas. They like to complicate, simple things.......

Stars based on what? on the guy at DirecTV watching the movie? at least Flixter and rotten tomatoes are companies that their sole business is to rate movies.  Flixter is based on viewer reviews while rotten tomatoes is based on expert reviews.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Rotten Tomatoes\Flixter ratings are a huge time saver and are leveraging a vast majority of reviews other than the critic of the day giving a movie stars. It’s much like yelp for food. This gives us average Joes a chance to say how good a movie is instead of Hollywood critics who could be paid off. Also it’s much more granular and helps me save time from watching movies that at the end have me saying I would rather have been sitting on a bench in the park starring at a tree. My Rules: Anything over 75% pretty much need to see it 50% or higher give it a shot. 25%-50% if in a genre a like or actors I like maybe give it a shot. Anything Below 25% avoid like the plague.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

What would be wrong with using words? For example: critics rating: 65% Viewers rating: 75% Would that be too hard? Does DirecTV think viewers are too illiterate? The stupid tomato/popcorn icons are too small to even decipher that they are tomatoes or popcorn images! Perhaps your programers time would be better spent organizing and improving the DirecTV commands. Why was the slow motion command made such that it is almost impossible to engage? Why don't we have the option to disable the progress bar that appears whenever you hit rewind, fast forward, etc. Why does it take 7 key strokes to pull up the recording "to do list" or 4 key strokes to pull up smart search. Why isn't there a jump list where you can enter a number of channels (or delere them from the list) and then with one button, scroll through those channels? I had such a feature on my Sony DirecTV received back in the late 90's! Why doesn't the user have the option to make the guide translucent over the full screen live TV? (My Sony had that feature too). Why is there so much command latency (command lag)? Any latency exceeding 0.1 second should be considered completely unacceptable! DirecTV, you need to get you act together. You should be ashamed of your receiver designs. Howard Hughes would be rolling in his grave if he knew that a Hughes corporate invention had devolved into such an embarrassment!

Expert

• 

32K Messages

8 years ago

Why isn't there a jump list where you can enter a number of channels (or delere them from the list) and then with one button, scroll through those channels?

@Course2kid

Press UP arrow on your remte control, you will be surprised!

regarding rotten tomatoes, DIRECTV is just parsing the information from rottentomatoes.com, same with with Flixter.

https://flixster.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1449025-what-do-the-rating-icons-mean-

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Hallelujah Brother!

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.