Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums

ALERT: If you're impacted by the recent storms in the Houston area, please remember you can access important programming using the DIRECTV app.

N

Tuesday, January 21st, 2020 12:15 AM

Closed

Bait and Switch

In October I purchased a new house and called AT&T to have my Direct tV transferred to my new address and find out if I had any Internet options through AT&T. I was transferred to a customer loyalty department and told that I can bundle my DIRECTV and Internet for $99 a month however my Internet would be through by us at as they are their third-party provider in my area! My first months bill included a $99 fee which was a genie set up fee That I was assured by the technician would not be charged. On 12/11/19 I called to speak To a representative regarding the $99 I was transferred several times and finally had to ask for a manager. I was then transferred to Charlie who assured me I would get a $99 credit on my next month statement. I did not receive the credit when my statement came for January so I called back and spent another 1 1/2 hours on the phone today being told that I would not receive the credit even though I was told I would! I asked again to be transferred to a manager and it was finally worked out where I received the $99 credit. At this time I was told my monthly bill would be $81 for my DIRECTV bill and I am also being charged $61 by Viasat for only 12 mbps when I was initially told it would be 25 mbps and that the total for TV and Internet would be $99 total which included tax! I clarified this twice with the representative. So at this point I am paying a total of $142 for TV and Internet that I was quoted that it would be $99! That’s about $43 more per month and a little more than $500 a year. I spent another two hours on the phone calling AT&T in speaking with Direct tV about the bundle which they told me they do not offer. Clearly they do offer it because they set up my TV and my Internet and I never spoke with Viasat. Then I was told I need to call Viasat and provide my DIRECTV number to them so that they could bundle.. The young man at Viasat had no idea what I was talking about and told me I needed to call Direct tV and give them my Viasat account number! At this point I called back to AT&T/DIRECTV and spoke to a young lady named Kristina who hung up on me! I am contemplating at this point filing a claim for bait and switch since I was provided with incorrect information regarding my bill and now no one is willing to even discuss it with me. Has anyone else had these types of experiences? (Edited per community guidelines)?

ACE - Expert

• 

20.8K Messages

5 years ago

If you mean the Wireless Setup Fee of $99, that is covering the purchase and setup of the wireless video bridge (WVB) that connects to any wireless Mini Genie Clients (C41W or C61W) that you have. It is not covered by a free upgrade. If it was on the order, it would have shown the cost. If this was a change by tech on site, then tech scammed an on-site upgrade commission. But later agent saying this would be waived was in the wrong as well.

Since you got satellite internet, make sure you do not connect your DirecTV to it. Otherwise you run the high risk of eating through your data allowance because of the initial On Demand download and background updates for it.

1 Message

3 months ago

I signed up for the direct TV via internet.  What I thought was internet is actually wireless air which is slow.  My original call to ATT/direct was to upgrade the internet because it is slow.  I don't have internet - I have wireless air.   My name is on a list in case interent comes to our area.  We were told the internet would be ok for gaming.

ACE - Expert

• 

20K Messages

3 months ago

This is the DTV sat forum, try the DTV via internet AKA DTV stream forum but you need to find out what if any ISPs are in your area.  DTV is not an ISP.

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

20.8K Messages

3 months ago

@jgable 

DirecTV (satellite) and DIRECTV STREAM (streaming-only) are TV services. They are not internet providers.

Apparently you don't know what internet is. Whether wireless air, DSL, cable, Fiber, etc that IS internet. So yes, you DO have internet. The problem you actually have is the connection you have is slower than you want. So check with other internet providers in the area.

This forum has nothing to do with internet. It is for TV and specifically DirecTV which is the satellite version. That and the thread is from 4 years ago (2020) so will be closed.

For further guidance please post in the correct forum and create your own thread instead of posting to one from years ago.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.