Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums

The DIRECTV Community Forums website will have an upcoming maintenance window from 10/21 to 10/22. Thank you for your patience during this time.

EMSDALEG's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Friday, July 19th, 2024 2:50 AM

Claim your no‑cost receiver upgrade email

Hello,

I got an email from DTV with this information

Claim your no‑cost receiver upgrade

Called the number and the agent told me about DTV trying to move folks from old boxes to newer ones.  My current box is model hr21-700 HD DVR.  That is the only box that I have on my account as my 2nd tv hooks via DTV app via roku box.

Was told free swap to a genie box with free install and no changes to my bill/account.  The issue is that I have read that all genie boxes require a whole home dvr along with HD and DVR so an extra $3 a month fee.  Is this correct what I have read or is the agent correct on no extra fees added to my account.

This is the terms in the fine print of the offer 

For eligible customers only. Eligibility based on customer’s current equipment setup and account status. Includes (1) Genie® HD DVR receiver, one (1) Genie® Mini for each additional TV/room currently on customer’s account, and standard professional installation in all existing rooms. No incremental charges for any Advanced Receiver Fees. Customer must continue to pay any Advanced Receiver Fees currently on account. Additional ARS fees & any fees for shipping and handling will be credited in 2‑3 bill cycles. Standard installation fee up to $49 may be charged and will be refunded within 2‑3 bill cycles. In the event customer upgrades equipment at a later date, all incremental Advanced Receiver Fees (up to $25/mo.) will apply to customer’s account. In addition, there is a fee of $7/mo. for each receiver and/or Genie® Mini/DIRECTV Ready TV/Device on your account. EXCLUSIONS: Does not include custom installation, additional equipment upgrades or add‑ons. All offers, programming, promotions, pricing, terms, restrictions & conditions subject to change & may be modified, discontinued, or terminated at any time without notice. See directv.com/directv‑fees/ for additional information.

Thanks in advance

Dale

ACE - Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

3 months ago

DTV doesn't contact you to upgrade.  Yes, you will be billed $3 for Whole Home plus $7 each if you get 2 minis (you have to get a mini for one TV if they install an HS17) and get a new 2 year contract to boot.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

3 months ago

If I stay with the single box (1 total box) will I still get billed for the whole home dvr??

They said it was because my box is out of date and trying to move folks to newer system and no contract since it's considered  a swap and not an upgrade.

ACE - Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

3 months ago

No, you don't have Whole Home so there is no reason to charge for it.  AFAIK it is an upgrade going from an HDDVR to a Genie is a different line.  The only swap offer DTV has is for old MPEG2 SD receivers.

ACE - Expert

• 

21.3K Messages

3 months ago

DirecTV doesn't contact you to upgrade. So that appears to be a very well-written scam.

HR21 though dated is still a regular HDDVR. There is no requirement to upgrade it.

Genie is DirecTV's Advanced Whole Home HDDVR. As such it requires HD, DVR, and Whole Home DVR services. As you would already have HD and DVR, that adds $3 to the monthly bill. Yes that applies even if that is your only TV.

They lied to you telling you it was a swap, not an upgrade. The complimentary swap only applies to those who are replacing MPEG-2/SD-only boxes with MPEG-4/HD capable. A HDDVR to Genie is an upgrade which will come with a 24 month agreement.

If box is fine and the 2 tuners and 320GB recording space is plenty for you, keep it the way it is.

If you gave any personal or account info during this, keep an eye on your accounts and change passwords and such as needed to protect yourself.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

3 months ago

Thank you for that info.  I did not give out any info on the call and Thank you for the help.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.